Want to get more volume in your hair? Or got a great volumising tip to share with the Boots Feel Good Forum? £250 cash to be won

(247 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Jun-13 16:39:26

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get maximum volume into your hair, with top tips from expert Trevor Sorbie - please do have a listen - it's only a very short clip.

~ Do you have any advice or tips of your own on how to volumise your hair?
~ What do you make of Trevor's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

EstelleGetty Thu 04-Jul-13 11:46:54

Klorane oatmilk dry shampoo, put my hair into a tight bun then blast with the hairdryer on cool setting!

Ikea1234 Thu 04-Jul-13 11:50:48

Agree with Trevor's tip about drying upside down with some mousse at the roots - works every time! Also try massaging the root area a little as you dry, it's kinder than the old trick of back combing the roots, but it does have a similar effect.

jdimsdale Thu 04-Jul-13 11:56:12

cool

montiefletcher Thu 04-Jul-13 12:00:01

big brush, and blow dry at the roots

lotsofcheese Thu 04-Jul-13 12:17:26

I use John Freida Blonde Volumising Mousse, then hang upside down & dry it with a paddle brush. Then finish off with Pantene hairspray. Works a treat for my fine, blonde hair.

I often dry mine upside down and it does help so I agree with his tip in the clip. Also agree that metal inners on brushes work well. I use a brush with metal at the base of the bristles when drying and straightening and it really adds to the finish of my hair.

My hair is quite thick so I don't use volumising products but if I want more volume and lift at the roots I use Batiste dry shampoo.

FairPhyllis Thu 04-Jul-13 12:49:10

As someone with the opposite problem of having hair with uncontrollable volume, I can confirm that drying upside down is a surefire way to increase volume - and putting in heated rollers when almost dry and fixing with hairspray before taking them out helps too.

cagsd Thu 04-Jul-13 14:22:48

My hair is really fine, so nothing really gives it the volume I'd like BUT I do find that blow drying it upside down helps a bit, or drying it brushed over on the opposite side to where I wear my parting and then flipping it back when it's dry. A bit of backcombing the crown doesn't hurt either....

footdust Thu 04-Jul-13 14:24:33

I have fine hair and I've that the Bumble & Bumble sea salt spray give my hair much more oomph than anything I've tried before- and believe me I've spent a fortune over the years

sassy165 Thu 04-Jul-13 14:46:44

My hair is curly due to medication and if I cut it too short.....well I will leave it to your imagination what it looks like?
I use a masque after shampooing and comb as straight as I can- hopefully, if I can stay out of the breeze until it dries, it looks acceptable with the curls making their own volume.

maryandbuzz1 Thu 04-Jul-13 14:48:16

Blow drying with a large brush helps my hair have more volume.

kittensmittens12 Thu 04-Jul-13 14:48:37

I bought one of those annie's backcombing brushes! They have a sharp and and a fuzzy end, they do so much less damage than backcombing with a plastic comb.

bossladysal1 Thu 04-Jul-13 15:10:37

I agree with Trevor's tip. I also find that using dry shampoo a couple of days after I've washed it helps to increase volume.

alsproject Thu 04-Jul-13 15:26:01

You can use a dry shampoo to revive greasy hair and this will give a bit of volume

beeelaine Thu 04-Jul-13 15:26:47

i have fine hair that has a life of its own but on those special do's i always apply volumiser spray to the roots only (as it seems to weigh the hair down if i do it all over) and leave it as late as i can to do the hair so that it keeps its volume for as long as it can that day. dont backcomb it because it only leaves you with out of condition hair that is even harder to sort our x

compy99 Thu 04-Jul-13 15:40:31

my hair is full but fine, I have split ends throughout, as soon as my hair grows an inch it seems to split. I have tried all sorts of volume enhancing products, but they tend to just add weight rather than volume - help!

prwilson Thu 04-Jul-13 15:51:51

My hair is quite long and generally flat. I do use conditioner which is supposed to volumise, but never as much as I'd like. I'll give some of these tips a go.

jamheart87 Thu 04-Jul-13 17:40:43

Short of backcombing it a great deal and then using a bit of hairspray I haven't been able to find any products or techniques that give me more volume!

Charlene1 Thu 04-Jul-13 18:35:42

I have a "backcombing" comb from Avon, so I brush it through upside down, then backcomb the bits where I want volume and spray hairspray on to hold it. If I want waves at the bottom, I dampen it, then plait it, then just run my fingers through it when I undo them.

Albiebee Thu 04-Jul-13 19:21:03

I've always had very fine hair, pregnancy has made it much more voluminous! grin

Probably not a tip everyone should follow though.

Other than that I like Aussie Real Volume shampoo and conditioner and John Frieda volume spray.

I rough dry and then use a largish barrel shaped brush to blow dry in sections especially at the crown, you can spritz in a bit of hairspray too in between sections, I like the Tresemme firm hold, because it doesn't smell too strongly and brushes out nicely. Then you can use a tiny amount of oil to smooth out the ends. If doing a full blow dry like this frequently (rare, cos it takes a while) I use Tresemme heat protection spray on the ends before blow-drying as fine hair is prone to damage too.

nerysw Thu 04-Jul-13 19:28:37

Definitely the upside down thing - if I have time to dry it that is!

patchysmum Thu 04-Jul-13 20:07:00

Some good tips from Trevor after all he is an expert so should know what he is talking about,personally I prefer straight sleek and shining hair.

melvis Thu 04-Jul-13 20:21:02

My hair has much more volume when it's bob length but then I struggle every day to be ready for work in time! I much prefer it longer so I can tie it back for work then on a weekend when I have more time to style it, I used a volumising spray at the root and dry upside down and I only straighten any completely out of sorts bits very quickly to not drag it back down again x

Alison18 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:21:25

Tip your head upside down and dry it with the hairdryer!

sweetiepie82 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:23:58

My hair is always lifeless when just been washed! I tie the top of my hair up (as if you're putting it in a half pony) & lightly spray hairspray on the hair that's untied. I then sort of scrunch it up with my fingers, like massaging up my head. I untie the top & let it fall naturally. Give it a little ruffle with my fingers, to blend it all in & voila; looks fresh & clean & has loads of volume x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now