Want to get more volume in your hair? Or got a great volumising tip to share with the Boots Feel Good Forum? £250 cash to be won

(247 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Jun-13 16:39:26

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get maximum volume into your hair, with top tips from expert Trevor Sorbie - please do have a listen - it's only a very short clip.

~ Do you have any advice or tips of your own on how to volumise your hair?
~ What do you make of Trevor's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

bluebump Wed 03-Jul-13 20:21:55

I have a Babyliss Big Hair but I think my hair is a bit too long for it as it does work but it takes ages and the volume eventually drops out.

I do use Trevor's tip of drying my hair upside down, and once i'm done I use Backcomb in a Bottle which is a great product to spray through the roots, it smells lovely too. I also recently bought a back combing brush which is pretty good.

I find I get better volume if i've washed my hair in the morning and i'm styling it in the evening, when it's a bit grubbier.

majjsu Wed 03-Jul-13 20:58:56

I find tying my hair in a bun for 30 minutes, then letting it loose, gives me plenty of volume and some waves too. I do agree with a lot of the other tips too.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 03-Jul-13 21:05:11

Everyone knows the upside down trick - was hoping for something new!
So after drying to 80% upside down I would use a baby lists big hair to finish, ending with the top section. Then I put in 2 enormous Velcro rollers on the crown and just in front. Spray with elnette and spray elnette through the rest and run my fingers through. Then do make up and faff around, get dressed etc then let the rollers out and another spray.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 03-Jul-13 21:05:49

Or even the babyliss big hair def not baby kiss

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 03-Jul-13 21:06:06

Baby lists. I'm leaving now.

RachelHRD Wed 03-Jul-13 22:59:08

I have fairly thick hair so don't necessarily need to add volume, but when I'm going for the curly, yourself look which requires a bit more bounce I tip my head forewards and massage a good sized ball of John Freida Frizz Ease Curl Recover Styling Mousse through from the roots and let my hair dry naturally.
Then to tame the bouncy curls I use Frizz Ease Secret Agent Styling Creme. After many years of trying many products the Frizzy Ease range seems to control my wayward hair the best!!

RachelHRD Wed 03-Jul-13 23:00:05

Curl reviver....not recover!!

CalamityJ Wed 03-Jul-13 23:16:53

I disagree with Trevor's upside blow dry tip. It does give volume but makes my hair go horribly frizzy and that despite the fact it's completely straight. It looks like I've got a billion split ends instead of smooth layers. I use label.m blow out spray. Use large barrelled metal holed brush. Start with top layers then under layers. For me that works better than the other way round.

I've got curly hair which has plenty (too much sometimes!) of volume, but if I'm not feeling too well it can go flat, I like the Twisted Sister range (cheap as chips from places like Home Bargains) and using a diffuser brings back the volume.
Dd has very straight hair with no volume- even drying her hair upside down has no effect, a big barrelled blow dry brush and using the nozzle on the hair dryer helps, blowing down the hair to keep the cuticle flat to avoid it going fizzy/fluffy at the roots.

slbhill Thu 04-Jul-13 10:09:13

short of backcombing, nothing gives my hair more than a tiny amount of volume, believe me I've tried!

rkoya2001 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:20:32

Flip head upside down, spray hands with hairspray and run it through your hair.

Rulesgirl Thu 04-Jul-13 10:21:58

But have you tried the Powders by Schwarskopf sibhill. They are amazing and other hair companies have started doing their own versions now I see.

tomcatsmum Thu 04-Jul-13 10:22:10

I usually put mousse into my hair and dry upside down as Trevor suggests, it does put some volume into my hair but doesn't last very long.

LannisterLion Thu 04-Jul-13 10:28:35

I have the thinnest hair in the world! Blow drying upside down, as mentioned above, gives a little volume.
Blow drying with a large rounded bristle brush is better though. You have to section your hair and do each piece at a time, curling it under at the ends.
Back combing roots.
Getting a stacked bob hair cut!

glennamy Thu 04-Jul-13 10:37:58

I do not have to worry about volume as my hair is very short and does not apply, it is great not having the problem.

cazzzie987 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:39:27

I use volumising shampoo and conditioner and when drying my hair this gives extra volume.

katiebasey Thu 04-Jul-13 10:47:20

I have long hair, so to get the volume , I put mousse on my hair, brush and hold my head down and blow dry from the roots up while running my fingers through my hair. (Using a diffuser on the hairdryer) Makes my hair look thick and wavy!!

tia3456 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:52:07

I have long fine hair, the only way that works for me to get volume is to use sleep in rollers

julieef Thu 04-Jul-13 11:05:05

I use tigi bed head small talk.
It is sleek and smooth and really helps me get volume into my hair

sarahann1984 Thu 04-Jul-13 11:06:10

My hair is really thin but there are a few things that help to give it body easily! An essential is a really good hairbrush and taking the time to blow dry your hair using the brush to create volumne! Then I use a light bit of hairspray and it holds for the day smile

finleypop Thu 04-Jul-13 11:11:58

The only way I can get volume into my hair is to tip my head upside down, spray the roots with hairspray & flick back, No heating styling tool has ever worked for me

lizd31 Thu 04-Jul-13 11:14:53

I use TIGI Bed Head Small Talk, just apply to the roots & it gives them a lift & smells divine too

hiddenmichelle Thu 04-Jul-13 11:19:11

Upside down drying and use hairspray whilst still damp before drying

pmstephens Thu 04-Jul-13 11:30:36

Comb/brush your hair in the opposite direction to that which you will eventually style it. Let it dry like that (you will look an idiot). Once it's dry or nearly, comb/brush it back in the right direction. It should have a whole bunch of extra volume as it's trying to sit in the opposite direction. Hard to write down, but it works for me.

Pud1234 Thu 04-Jul-13 11:35:59

I have a major problem getting my hair to have volume, it is very long and fine. I've tried cutting it short but didn't help with the lack of volume and didn't suit me. I use volumising shampoo and conditioner and volumising spray when I blow dry it. It helps a little but not much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now