Want to get more volume in your hair? Or got a great volumising tip to share with the Boots Feel Good Forum? £250 cash to be won

(247 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Jun-13 16:39:26

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get maximum volume into your hair, with top tips from expert Trevor Sorbie - please do have a listen - it's only a very short clip.

~ Do you have any advice or tips of your own on how to volumise your hair?
~ What do you make of Trevor's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

GetKnitted Tue 02-Jul-13 07:11:04

In my experience the onnly thing that consistently works is cutting it (not the mumsnet!!!)

2712 Tue 02-Jul-13 07:21:25

I always used to blow dry my hair upside down to give volume, but it made it frizzy due to blowing against the cuticle.
I now use the old fashioned styling lotion that my mum used to use, blow dry down the hair shaft to keep it smooth, then use a hot curling brush and curl in the opposite direction that I want the hair to go. This seems to give lift, no frizz, and lasts for ages.

carriedaway Tue 02-Jul-13 10:03:50

As someone with big hair that needs to be tamed I have the opposite problem. Listening to the clip reminded me that as a teenager I used to blast my hair upside down with lots of mousse on it - no wonder it grew even bigger! grin
My top tip would be to go for a a 'blow' as my mum calls it - a brisk walk up a hill on a windy day... It may not be styled but you will definitely come back with added volume in your hair!

handcream Tue 02-Jul-13 11:21:56

I use moouse of styling cream/spray. I do find I have to use a different product if I am in a hot country. Being in the UK is easier hair wise. On a hot summer holiday my hair just starts curling up and not in a good way...

flamingtoaster Tue 02-Jul-13 11:23:58

Dry upside down, finish right way up using fingers to lift the hair, only condition the ends, if not going out immediately clip up the front/sides to take the weight off and avoid undoing what's been acheived.

manfalou Tue 02-Jul-13 11:52:40

Id love more volume in my hair and tbh Ive never tried drying my hair upside down so will now try it and see how it goes! Only way I can get volume in my hair is by curling!

favellio Tue 02-Jul-13 12:03:46

Clip back the top layer of your hair, then use a crimper to crimp near the roots of the underneath layer. Unclip your hair, lay over the top and the crimped parts will give the top layer an instant boost, without you looking like an 80's throwback. A spritz of hairspray to hold it in place and off you go smile

Knuffels Tue 02-Jul-13 12:09:59

An old fashioned product, setting lotion. I use Lottabody (the green one with olive oil), and then do an upside down rough dry and finish off with the Babyliss big hair.

ItsintheBag Tue 02-Jul-13 12:57:12

After conditioner I give a cold rinse,to get rid of the product as I think it weighs my hair down.

I blow dry upside down,when dry I give it a cold blast of the hair dryer, it helps set my hair in place and increase shine.

I agree with Trevor on blowdrying upside down, but I don't agree with applying product to the root as on my own hair it makes it look lank as with fine hair it doesn't hold a style very long.

Cherryoats Tue 02-Jul-13 13:07:35

I agree with trevors tip of upside down hair, it makes sence. I have curly hair and if I want a good volumed hair day I wash it then put hair product in, then lie on the sofa ( or go to bed with it wet) with my hair scrunched up around my head, Once it is dried it is then all big and very curly!

Chipstick10 Tue 02-Jul-13 13:17:42

Hi lites and ojon volume advance spray.

NayaB Tue 02-Jul-13 14:23:07

Whats always worked for me is waiting for my hair to dry 80% then blow drying with my parlux hairdryer using a big round ceramic brush. Voila limp locks to shiny big hair!

johnworf Tue 02-Jul-13 15:48:11

Leave until semi dry. Apply Label M Volume Mousse to the roots and a small amount to rest of hair. Quick blast with hair dryer on cool. Head upside down whilst blowing.

Finish off with Babyliss Big curl to the roots and anywhere else and a spritz of Label M Shine Mist grin

SacreBlue Tue 02-Jul-13 18:19:09

If I don't need it styled til later I put it up in a high ponytail while it's still damp, by the time I take it down it's dry and lots of root volume smile I also do the upside down thing

HairyPoppins Tue 02-Jul-13 19:55:22

Another in agreement with Trevor on the upside down thing. Or really focusing on the roots as you dry the right way up, using your brush to dry in sections. Use conditioner sparingly and rinse rinse rinse it out. I have a product from TIGI that smells like grape soda and really poufs up my hair, but it's sticky and fiddly and makes my hair go a bit crusty so I only use it for evenings/nights out.

ggirl Tue 02-Jul-13 20:10:17

sleeping with damp hair works for me
and coiling it while in front of telly and going to bed
fringe just needs a tweak in the morning but the rest is voluminous waves

pipo Tue 02-Jul-13 20:55:48

definitely agree with drying hair upside down to give more volume. not sure if this is the in thing though as everyone I know is using hair straighteners to flatten their hair.

malachite Tue 02-Jul-13 21:02:55

I agree with Trevor about blow-drying upside down. I don't like mousse as it leaves my hair sticky feeling so I just dry and leave it. Flip upside down for a quick brush every so often to give it a bit of bounce during the day/evening.

GingerLemonTea Tue 02-Jul-13 21:43:32

Already do the drying hair upside down. Good tip from Trevor re the metal brush.
I often tong hair for volume throughout.

pomdereplay Tue 02-Jul-13 23:18:01

My hair is too bloody thick already. But if I want it to look 'high' and big, I think a backcombing brush -- the Vogetti Wonder Brush is unrivalled in my opinion -- is the only way to get dramatic results that last. I also like a bit of hair powder dusted at the roots for texture and volume. Tresemme do a cheap one but they're everywhere really.

CointreauVersial Wed 03-Jul-13 00:02:32

Babyliss Big Hair works for me! I use mousse as well, partially dry with a hairdryer blast upside down, then get twirling.

On the days when I'm not washing it, Dry Shampoo is a life-saving body boost; it really seems to thicken it up.

TheFutureMrsB Wed 03-Jul-13 00:52:07

Rough dry upside down, use a small crimper (Babyliss Root Boost) on the roots of the underneath layers of hair close to the roots and coming down maybe three or four steps.

Then I use either dry shampoo or hair powder, the hair powder is better imo. This gives brilliant lift.

You can either then curl or straighten the lengths and you'll have glam looking hair that stays big and voluminous until you wash it!

Chloe1993 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:31:51

Scrunching your hair With hair serum and a tiny bit of mouse when hairs wet and blow drying it with a diffuser upside down.

ChocChaffinch Wed 03-Jul-13 15:07:40

I thought you got a cold if you went to sleep with wet hair! or a stiff neck...earache or sore throat! you daredevils grin

snowymum12 Wed 03-Jul-13 16:04:52

A bit of old fashioned back combing is amazing if you need a bit of volume just at the crown. A touch of hairspray and, voila, ready for the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now