Want to get more volume in your hair? Or got a great volumising tip to share with the Boots Feel Good Forum? £250 cash to be won

(243 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Jun-13 16:39:26

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get maximum volume into your hair, with top tips from expert Trevor Sorbie - please do have a listen - it's only a very short clip.

~ Do you have any advice or tips of your own on how to volumise your hair?
~ What do you make of Trevor's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

John Freida new volume shampoo and conditioner is ace and then spray the root spray on crown and wind (just the crown) around large Velcro rollers. Blast with hair dryer and leave to cool before removing rollers and voila, kittenish sexy voluminous hair!!

FoxPass Mon 01-Jul-13 09:35:53

I agree tipping your head upside down creates volume. I use the new John Frieda volume products too and find doing both together really good. It also helps to revive 2nd day hair by tipping upside down again and blow drying your roots.

mignonette Mon 01-Jul-13 11:09:42

Really good sex gives great bed head volume.

youaintallthat Mon 01-Jul-13 11:21:15

Blow drying hair upside down also hair spraying upside down to helps keep volume in the hair for longer.

BerryLellow Mon 01-Jul-13 11:36:35

grin mignonette

I use Dry shampoo for instant pouff smile

BerryLellow Mon 01-Jul-13 11:36:51

Velcro rollers are v good too

CheeryCherry Mon 01-Jul-13 11:50:40

grin Mignonette!
Another vote for drying upside down, or scrunch drying with a towel. Have just bought the John Frieda volume mousse which is pretty good, and doesn't leave it too sticky.
Less or no conditioner helps too.

Glitterfairys Mon 01-Jul-13 11:56:08

Trevor had some good tips. I will definitely try drying my hair upside down in the hope to give my flat hair some volume .
I have tried a lot of different volumising products to achieve this look but never really achieve much . The thing that works for me the most is putting mousse on damp hair then putting Velcro rollers in and leaving it to dry ( then a tiny bit of backcombing after wink)

FOMOphobic Mon 01-Jul-13 12:04:24

I agree, dry upside down. I find a diffuser helps too. I sometimes back comb the roots slightly and use mousse .

I sometimes find I get better results if it's not freshly washed hair.

dahville Mon 01-Jul-13 12:06:33

Head upside down is probably the most common way but I had hoped for something more from Trevor's tips as that one is widely known.

I tend to use a paddle brush to dry the roots of my hair and try to get volume that way.

ratbagcatbag Mon 01-Jul-13 12:08:38

I have short hair,but really need to direct the natural bounce else I look a mop.
I use a root booster on wet hair and then blow dry, once dry, I then lightly spray with water and add volume sing mousse and the blow dry again, this normally gets rid of all the stray bits and gives it massive volume. I then need to use smoothing cream on the front to straighten it.

If I still need more volume, I tip head upside down and use straighteners on sections upside down to encourage it to stay high.

For short hair it's high maintenance grin

Catmint Mon 01-Jul-13 12:29:09

Best compliments I get are when I dry my hair in the car on the way to work using the blowers. I comb it wet before I get in. Clip up top layer and drive half way to work with blowers on full. Unclip top layers, dry the rest. Get to work with dry, Shiney voluminous hair.

CMOTDibbler Mon 01-Jul-13 12:31:32

Respect Catmint!

I either blow dry my hair upside down, or dry on big velcro rollers

mindingalongtime Mon 01-Jul-13 13:01:12

Rough dry first, then use the nozzle on the your dryer, lift from the roots with a good brush. I never have until the other day and it made a huge difference to my hair.

Also you can't beat a Parlux hair dryer, it's not the wattage that matters, it's the airflow. They are expensive but last years.

Blow dry hair upside down, roughly and then use a backcombing brush near your roots (not all over your head otherwise you'll look like a mad professor!) and then I use 'evo haze powder' that you scatter on sections of your hair at the roots (sparingly!) and then use your fingers to rough up your hair. Gives you great bed head volume.

Rulesgirl Mon 01-Jul-13 14:08:08

Samy Fat Hair products are soooo amazing but you can get toooo much volume if your not careful. They contain wheat so really makes the hair look so thick. Also schwarzkopf powder in the hair again gives it that total boost of "Wow".

aristocat Mon 01-Jul-13 14:29:01

Always blow dry upside down too, sometimes it gives too much volume! After I ahve been swimming I often don't want to dry my hair so I make a ponytail and twist the hair to make a bun. Once it is dry - elastic out and you get soft wavy hair smile

telsa Mon 01-Jul-13 14:36:02

The tips are pretty well what I do if I want 'big' hair - hair hanging upside down, lean forwards and dry, while pulling fingers through and generally fluffing it. When nearly dry put some volumising mousse is in a scrunchy way just at the roots and then flick head back up and strut off.

ThePskettiIncident Mon 01-Jul-13 15:51:46

I always blow dry my hair upside down too! And add mousse towards the roots before drying. I have been known to back comb slightly too and my hair tends to go flat quickly!

I need to wash my hair every day and always dry it upside down, otherwise it looks limp and miserable.

ouryve Mon 01-Jul-13 16:34:22

Me want more volume in my hair? Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Sorry, but I have hair that grows up and outwards. The volume is generally set to 11.

ladyandthechocolate Mon 01-Jul-13 16:39:53

I have very fine hair so I use shampoo only, a root lift spray and then I blow dry upside down. I also use styling powder to add texture and volume and hairspray to set.

RiaBexleyGreenwichLE Mon 01-Jul-13 16:45:42

Touch of hairspray at the roots and blow-dry upside down smile

MaxinePeakedistrict Mon 01-Jul-13 17:00:30

I use either Aussie, Aveda or Ojon volumising shampoos, then either an Aveda thickening spray or a mousse.

Upside down rough dry, then finish off with the Babyliss Big Hair. Dry shampoo between washes.

When I used to bleach my hair I found that gave me a much thicker head of hair but I've stopped now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now