Share your top tips for how to deal with the signs of ageing with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(106 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Jun-13 14:04:07

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to deal with the signs of ageing (or fight them if you want to). It's a very short clip so please do have a listen to skin expert Dr Nick Lowe's top tips.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to deal with or fight the signs of ageing?
~ What do you make of Dr Nick's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Mullinsamy Sun 23-Jun-13 20:30:11

A good diet is key, as is drinking enough water. Exercise is great to give you a nice glow. However, the best thing I have done is getting a decent fringe cut. It has knocked about a decade off!

Jellybeanz1 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:01:33

Water water every where. Drink it, swim in it. Try to avoid sleeping in your make up. Since I've swapped to BB cream I find it lighter on skin, quicker to put on and has a built in sunscreen. Use sunglasses in summer and embrace laughter lines as evidence of a life well spent.

seasalt Mon 24-Jun-13 00:02:48

Take off your glasses before you look in the mirror smile

PostBellumBugsy Mon 24-Jun-13 11:50:37

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to deal with or fight the signs of ageing?

Eat as well as you can & include plenty of good quality sources of protein and fats.
Wear sunscreen & a sun hat.
Get enough sleep.
Keep sugar consumption as low as possible. Lots of new evidence coming to light about how aging a high sugar diet is.
Keep well hydrated.
Pray that you have good genes.
Don't spend lots of money on over the counter wrinkle creams.

~ What do you make of Dr Nick's tips?
Slightly depressing to hear a 27 year old worrying about laughter lines. Dr Nick sounds reassuringly dull, but doesn't really say anything new and it is a shame he doesn't refer to diet at all. Being a bit cynical, we all know that this is a plug for Boots products and Dr Nick is on their payroll.

FeeFoo Mon 24-Jun-13 12:23:31

The simplest and indeed most effective anti-ageing tip is this...
Reduce stress!!!
Smile often!!!
Make healthy choices in all areas of your life!
Be open to new challenges and definitely drink lots of water!
Oh yes, and sleep! Sleep....
grin

FeeFoo Mon 24-Jun-13 12:24:14

Reducing stress is top of the list.

Cherryoats Mon 24-Jun-13 12:31:45

Wear sun cream, eat healthily, accept that aging is going to happen, and smile lots. The most beautiful people are the happiest!

I thought his advice was fine, tbh I had never thought about wearing sunglasses to protect the skin around my eyes, I only thought of them am something that stopped me feeling dazed in the sun ( im sure it was obvious to everyone else smile )

My top tips are:

-Moisturise, not just your face but also neck and chest.
-Drink plenty of water.
-A tea spoon left in the fridge for a few hours, then pressed and held gently under each eye for 30 seconds helps reduce any puffiness and helps counter any visible signs of tiredness.
- Do not spray perfume directly on to neck or chest area, it dehydrates the skin.
- Eat a wide range of different coloured fruit and veg, red peppers, dark green leafy veg such as spinach, blueberries, sweety poatto etc. You will get a wider range of nutrients.

Avoid the sun at all costs.
Don't smoke.
Spend at least an hour a day standing on your head.
Fast 2 days a week.
Drink vast amounts of alcohol, you will no longer care about aging :D
Wear the biggest sunglasses you can find, and no one will be able to see the wrinkles.
Hang out with older people.

Dancealot Mon 24-Jun-13 19:30:19

Enjoy life- a vibrant outlook and energetic personality helps you appear younger. The best tips already mentioned are sun screen, sun hat and sun glasses to avoid squinting.

FairPhyllis Mon 24-Jun-13 21:23:12

Reduce stress
Get enough sleep
Be happy
Wear cheerful colours

SnoopyLovesYou Mon 24-Jun-13 21:23:53

Has anyone tried using henna instead of hair dye? Does it cover the grey?

All my hair dyes which are supposed to be golden brown (close to my natural colour) always have a reddish tint to them anyway :-(

ZanyLainy Tue 25-Jun-13 13:10:00

MY 97 year old neighbour has better skin than I do. She has never used anything more expensive than Astral or Nivea and only when her skin feels dry. She has never smoked but drinks moderately and SITS IN THE SUN whenever she can. She has just been fitted with a new set of teeth so I reckon it must be down to her optimistic outlook.

StressedandFrazzled Tue 25-Jun-13 17:58:39

Moisturise all over, keep your feet and hands manicured and pedicured hair cut, teeth white, (I have to say I only do bits of this advice) yes and early nights, and lots of water (I must remember to drink more water)

GetKnitted Tue 25-Jun-13 21:00:17

turn the mirror over, you'll be fine smile

GetKnitted Tue 25-Jun-13 21:01:45

seasalt that is the best advice ever smile

CalamityJ Tue 25-Jun-13 23:52:15

Garlic totally agree that age gives you carte blanche to go crazy with your hair colour. If you don't want it to look natural dye it red, magenta, blue, purple! But I stand by my shade lightening advice if you want it to look natural.

NigellasGuest Wed 26-Jun-13 10:50:28

"The bags under your eyes only get seen if you're miserable anyway"

stop beating up on people whose skin type means they're prone to eye bags / tear troughs / marionettes etc. etc. It usually means they have good strong non-wrinkly skin but the downside is those deeper lines. It doesn't mean they are miserable! likewise to the poster who said she could tell miserable people from their jowels or something.

FoxPass Wed 26-Jun-13 13:31:54

Get enough essential fatty acids
take a good silica supplement, your skin hair and nails need it and your body can't store it after age 25. Use one made from bamboo, not horsetail.
Sleep enough
laugh
keep stress to a minimum.

BrokenBanana Wed 26-Jun-13 14:07:01

I think the best thing for young looking skin is to clean it properly (no soap!), drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruit and veg, I also eat almonds and have noticed a big difference in my skin.

NigellasGuest Wed 26-Jun-13 15:27:40

I did like Dr Lowe's tip about sunglasses. I've been doing this for a couple of years and I use Bloc eyewear - they are really good for UV protection, and very reasonably priced believe it or not!

My tips are also to wear a sunblock, and to keep a separate bottle in the car. Also keep an eye on the backs of your hands (or is that off topic) and don't forget sunblock there too.

Keep hydrated and use fish oil supplements.

Try to avoid sugar, and don't worry about natural fats because they are very good for the skin (IMH0).

Coconut oil is great for the skin, whether you eat it or use directly on the skin as a moisturiser (a teeny tiny amount).

Double cleanse the face before bed - once to remove all traces of makeup and then again to actually make sure the face is clean and not just de-makeupped. And then tone before applying a good quality serum. Moisturiser afterwards will be the icing on the cake and seal the serum on (sort of confused) but I don't believe you need to spend a fortune on moisturiser - something recommended from Boots would be just as effective as one of those £195 miracle creams!

My three tips tips are easy to do and have become a habit: to a) stretch in the morning, just a couple of minutes to loosen up my back, shoulders & knees. I started doing this after copying our puppy who always stretches for ages when he wakes up!

Tip b) is to use a hoola hoop when watching TV - this has really helped me get my waist slimmer at last and, along with the stretching, has helped me to stand up straight and therefore to feel and look slimmer and more confident.

Tip c) is to be aware of fat in food. Might sound obvious but I've got into the habit of checking labels and the amount of saturated fat can be scary!

As a result of practising these three for the past few months I am now slimmer and weigh less than at any other time since my teens!

sealight123 Thu 27-Jun-13 20:49:03

I loved that her told her to not stop smiling. Wrinkles and lines are just a map of the life you live. If you don't like people seeing your map though-

-Start early with a skincare regime
-Have make up free days as often as possible
-Vaseline is the best and simplest product you will ever own in your life
-Use warm water at the start of washing your face but finish with cold water so that it closes up your pores- meaning less dirt and less blemished skin
-Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
-Use a tinted moisturiser over foundation, anyday
-Live your life!!! Worrying about worry lines are not going to help with your self confidence- learn to love yourself

MollyBerry Thu 27-Jun-13 20:55:46

So, of course drinking lots of water and moisturising really helps with fighting the signs of ageing but a rather avant-garde different type of tip is act young. Yes, you may be tired and have saggy wrinkles around your eyes but if you act a little bit younger(and I don't mean teenage moaniness) people really don't notice or perceive you as 'ageing'.

My thoughts on Dr Nick's tips are that they are great. They fit in exactly with my tip of acting younger and smiling helps that. It gives people a positive attitude towards you. Plus if you wear sunglasses, you can look cool while preventing ageing!

Rosie29 Thu 27-Jun-13 22:00:41

This sounds a bit strange but a friend does it and she looks 20, she's 38! When she is making salad/peeling fruit etc she puts the peel on her face (under eyes esp.). Obviously we are talking cucumber/peach/toms and so on here, not dirt clad potatoes! Give it a try, but remember to remove peel before answering the door!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now