Share your top tips for getting a good night's sleep with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(197 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Jun-13 10:16:04

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get a good night's sleep. It's less than 1 min long so please do have a listen to sleep expert Professor Colin Espie's top tips.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to sleep well?
~ What do you make of Professor Colin's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

XBenedict Fri 14-Jun-13 18:11:47

Make your bedroom somewhere nice to be, clear the clutter, make it a peaceful space to be. No computers/tvs/mobiles - easier said than done!

mrsbunnyw Fri 14-Jun-13 19:27:58

I know this won't work for everyone, but the best thing I have found is to have a bedroom all to myself - my husband and I have separate rooms, initially so he wasn't disturbed by the children when they were babies, but we have grown to prefer it anyway. It means that no-one elbows me in the head, turns on the light at the wrong time, snores or steals the duvet, and we don't have to go to bed or get up at exactly the same time. If we are away and have to share a bed, I never sleep anywhere near as well.

NettleTea Fri 14-Jun-13 21:16:53

I have no tips, sadly, but am reading with interest, as I have no trouble dropping off but wake several times a night (a habit I sadly picked up from my son, from 7 years ago)

bumpandbeyond Fri 14-Jun-13 21:17:49

I put ear plugs in my ears, that cuts out the snores and small noises. If children are distressed and calls/shouts, I can still hear them and get to them immediately (right next door).

Surf25 Fri 14-Jun-13 22:02:15

I too liked the tip on the audio clip about sleep being something that happens to you, not something you can turn off but something that you can turn off. Think that is quite pertinent to me if I have a broken night's sleep as I worry myself about not getting back to sleep, probably meaning I don't get back to sleep as I should just try and relax about it. Easier said than done but practice would probably help

I have to say that I also have a better nights sleep in my own bed. I do share my bed with my husband, and we dont actually bother each other very often at all, and he doesn't snore which is itself a bonus! But, when we've had our kids we have slept seperately so he could get the sleep he needed for work and I have to admit sometimes it's crossed my mind to go back to my own bed since, long after the kids sleep through!

Bath, warm drink, few pages of a good novel, clean bedsheets and pyjamas usually do it for me. Oh, and the cold side of the pillow!

tinypumpkin Fri 14-Jun-13 22:11:56

Another one who has to write things down else they prey on my mind and stop me sleeping. A pen and pad by the bed (old school!) helps with this for me. I am a overthinker so need to try and 'empty' my mind if that makes sense.

CairngomRockHunter Sat 15-Jun-13 06:48:48

If you are still at the 'broken night' stage (and don't worry, it is only a stage, it will get better),and you are planning to share the hard work then base your rota on a 2 or even 3 night cycle.
If you switch duty every night then you never really any recovery time. To cat,h up on missing sleep you need at least 2 nights in a row so your brain really does switch off from all the noise and you sleep a lot deeper.

vincenta Sat 15-Jun-13 07:22:57

For me the most important thing before I go to sleep is fresh air, that's why I open window and let fresh air in. It always help! Afterwards I only put my head on the pillow and I am fast asleep! Comfortable pillow is important too!

winkygirl Sat 15-Jun-13 07:36:38

I have to admit I didn't know there was a sleep hormone! I will be more aware now of looking for the signs of my body heading towards sleep.

On good days I turn the tv off at 10pm and spend 10 mins pottering around downstairs taking dishes to kitchen, plumping up cushions, preparing the teapot/breakfast things for the morning. Somehow it helps me relax and sleep knowing everything is ready for the morning.

goldenretriever Sat 15-Jun-13 08:19:22

Have lavender scents by your bed.

serendipity1980 Sat 15-Jun-13 08:44:46

I'm trying to avoid using phone and iPad before going to sleep, I turn them off and read, even if it's only 5-10mins, just to settle my mind and relax.
Thankfully our DC are good sleepers (age 5 & 3.5yrs) so we are very lucky.

Wheresthecoffee Sat 15-Jun-13 08:56:09

A good mattress and something to read for ten minutes

peronel Sat 15-Jun-13 09:32:52

A tablespoon of diatomaceous earth in a glass of water. As side effects you will have softer skin, stronger nails, better digestion and no parasites! Good for killing ants too... It's amazing stuff!

hjmiller Sat 15-Jun-13 09:57:46

Am I the only one disappointed by the sleep tips in the audio? I was hoping for something more practical to help me get back to sleep after the 4am feed when both hubby & baby are snoring and keeping me awake! I usually just hope I'm too tired to care & will sleep anyway but the last couple of weeks this hasn't worked!

Ida3456 Sat 15-Jun-13 10:40:25

A decent mattress is the key - it is worth spending money on one that is really good quality. I think you're supposed to replace them every ten years as well!

SunshinePanda Sat 15-Jun-13 15:19:54

I think the hardest part, for me, isn't getting to sleep but waking early. The only way I know to avoid just going over things in my head until morning is to get up. The only thing is then I'm too tired! Will try thinking that sleep just happens and isn't a choice and see if that helps.

whattodoo Sat 15-Jun-13 15:25:27

I always have a check around to make sure that I'm ready for tomorrow - breakfast stuff prepared, uniforms clean, birthday cards written, to-do list ready, etc.
Then as soon as my head hits the pillow I can switch off.
I used to take ages to nod off, but since having DD I am usually exhausted by the time I hit the sack.

janine1975 Sat 15-Jun-13 16:20:58

I find going for brisk walks in the great british weather followed by a relaxing soak gaurantees a good nights sleep

themaltesecat Sat 15-Jun-13 16:24:29

Taking the time to take off makeup properly, put at least toner on your skin, and a nice moisturiser (Estee Lauder, Soap and Glory).

The motion of the fingers on your face as you swirl the products around your face is really soothing, and does help you feel sleepy.

Also: red tea.

absterbabe69 Sat 15-Jun-13 17:58:31

my two go to bed at 6pm and watch ceebeebies till 7pm and normally asleep by then, I do find that if my little boy who is year and half has a nap after 12 in afternoon he wont sleep for ages so only aloud a morning nap

callmeovercautious Sat 15-Jun-13 22:31:27

Having had a DC that did not sleep through the night until 6 years old I am an old hand at insomnia and sleep deprevation! Sleep deprevation caused us alot of issues as a family and led to us asking for professional advice.

I have 3 top tips:

Go to bed when you are tired - don't stay up late if you don't have to

When trying to fall asleep tense each part of your body from toe to scalp for a count of 5 then relax for 5. It really calms you.

If you wake in the night DO NOT GET UP. Stay in the same place and keeping your eyes closed "look at the black" and if needs be repeat the muscle relaxing from above.

Slowly this helps to retrain your body back into a good sleep pattern.

Also - do not be afraid to see a good GP and ask for help.

Babycarmen Sun 16-Jun-13 11:01:18

No coffee after 6pm. Also, I used to lie in bed playing about on my phone for at least 30-45 mins before I would go to sleep, since I cut that out I have been sleeping a LOT better.
I also bought an eye mask to wear at night through the Summer, I cannot sleep unless its pitch black!

Bladderama Sun 16-Jun-13 13:20:22

The tips were not what I was expecting but I did like the don't fight it just let it happen.
Another vote for a decent mattress and also going to bed when tired so that you don't fall asleep on the sofa. I never sleep properly when I wake up cold at 2am on the sofa and have to drag myself upstairs to bed.

Do not exercise after 9pm because that also affects your sleep.

QueenBey Sun 16-Jun-13 13:37:43

I try and get the temperature of the room right, in winter I put the heating on or add extra blankets or clothes. In summer I might put a fan on or open the window.

I turn off the tv and try and make it as quiet as possible, this might include giving my snoring husband a hard dig!

If i'm really struggling I listen to a hypnotherapy app 'I can make you sleep'.

Nigglenaggle Sun 16-Jun-13 21:35:00

There isnt any problem with me being able to sleep when I have time since becoming a parent so dont need sleep tips as such!! Thought the whole thing was common sense really. DH has a meditation tape he listens to as he drifts off, but probably spoilt by having to have one earphone out so he can hear the baby monitor.... Some advice on relaxation techniques would have been a good addition to the top tips I thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now