Share your top tips for getting a good night's sleep with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(197 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Jun-13 10:16:04

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The latest one of these is about how to get a good night's sleep. It's less than 1 min long so please do have a listen to sleep expert Professor Colin Espie's top tips.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to sleep well?
~ What do you make of Professor Colin's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Jo123c Mon 03-Jun-13 16:43:36

A five minute 'gentle time' lying down with teddies with the lights out singing our favourite songs is great for settling down before sleeping.

FattyMcChubster Mon 03-Jun-13 16:52:49

I like the tip about how you're not making a choice to sleep, it happens to you. I often feel panicky if I can't sleep and I've an important day ahead of me. I'll try and remember that tip!

I do find making sure I've used the loo, all lights off and no sounds (tv, music etc) really helps me relax.
Strangely reading doesn't relax me at all as I'm desperate to find out what happens next in the book!
Definately setting a nice calm atmosphere helps though.

Glitterfairys Mon 03-Jun-13 16:53:24

I think having a bedtime routine is the key to a good nights sleep.
I like a nice hot Radox bath before bed where I can relax and gather my thoughts from the day , then into a freshly made bed with a warm milky drink and a good book to read ( I normally fall asleep after reading 5 pages smile)
If I follow this routine 9/10 times I will have a brilliant nights sleep .
My tip is to try not to use phones , laptops , watch television just before you go to bed as it makes your mind too active.

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 03-Jun-13 17:35:55

Turn off the screens before bedtime and unwind. I know people who are playing Candycrush or on FB in the early hours saying they can't sleep. The mind needs to switch off and it can't do that if it keeps trying to crush those candies.
smile

sharond101 Mon 03-Jun-13 22:19:52

Wind down with a relaxing routine. Write down any worries you have and put them aside to the morning as these can keep you awake through the night. Go to bed when you begin to feel tired and close your eyes. Concentrate on breathing deeply and you will soon settle into a deep sleep.

ElsieMumofOne Tue 04-Jun-13 11:02:51

I have terrible insomnia and can struggle to get to sleep and stay asleep. I've had behavioural counselling and the gem I was taught is don't expect to sleep as well as everyone else, know what is normal for you. My partner can be asleep in 2 minutes and sleep for 11 hours straight, where it can take me 40 minutes to fall asleep and I might wake up twice and be awake for the day at 5.40am. Earplugs that let babies cries in and keep snoring partners and next doors TV out are a must too!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 04-Jun-13 11:29:07

I fall asleep within a minute or two or switching the lamp off. I read until my eyes feel heavy, then just nod off very easily. I sleep soundly for about 8 hours, or longer if I'm left.

My tip is to not look at screens eg TVs, phones around bedtime and definitely not in bed. It's too stimulating I think. Switch the TV off then potter a bit before going up, put your brain into sleep mode.

Spirael Tue 04-Jun-13 12:05:06

I listened, in particular to the section about excessive dreaming which is what my original question was about.

I am now informed about why/when I dream... But I still have no idea how to stop it from happening!

As for assisting sleep, I find putting my electric blanket on for a few minutes before I get into bed to make it all snuggly warm helps me fall asleep quickly. I seem to be cold blooded, as without this I lay there shivering for ages!

My other tip, for those with an amenable DH/DW/DP, is to ask/beg/bribe them to rub some lavender oil into your shoulders. The lavender aids sleep, and the shoulder massage is very relaxing!

PinkMangoSays Tue 04-Jun-13 12:33:44

I don't know if this is particularly helpful but what works for me is to lie on my front and listen to an Audiobook which I've heard before so I don't get caught up in the story!

CheeryCherry Tue 04-Jun-13 12:35:37

I aim for a hot bubble bath each evening, time out from everyone and everything. I keep the bedroom tidy and clutterfree, bed clean and neat. The room is kept dark and quiet, I have lavender oil on the radiator and light bulbs. I always keep the bedroom cool, cannot sleep in a warm room. I do try to be in bed between 10 and 11, as I'm up at 6.30. But the more sleep the better!

wonderingagain Tue 04-Jun-13 12:36:38

Memory foam earplugs saved my sanity.

Making a list of what you are doing the next day so it doesn't prey on your mind in the early hours.

Fresh bedding for that hotel feel.

CheeryCherry Tue 04-Jun-13 12:37:46

Oh and lavender oil added to my foot cream, rubbed in just as I get into bed is lovely and relaxing too.

When I was pregnant with DD2 I used to listen to a natal hypnotherapy CD, and I'd fall asleep every time. If I ever have problems getting to sleep in the future I'd use it again. At the moment it's not getting to sleep that's the problem though, it's being woken at all hours by DD2!

CMOTDibbler Tue 04-Jun-13 12:55:27

Apart from intrusive pain, I'm lucky enough to be a good sleeper. But I travel a lot, often well out of time zone and I don't have time to have jet lag either end (and travel in economy).

I swear by having a standard visualisation that I run through when I want to go to sleep - its very vivid with lots to concentrate on, and works wonderfully to clear my mind completely.

MegBusset Tue 04-Jun-13 13:46:19

I used to suffer from insomnia on and off; not since having kids though. My tips:

- Get up at the same time in the morning - this helps set your circadian rhythms.
- Don't drink too much - red wine keeps me awake if I have too much.
- To relax, lie flat on your back and go limp, now starting from your toes imagine every bit of your body getting more relaxed.
- If you really can't sleep, get out of bed and go downstairs so you are not associating your bed with sleeplessness. Read a book for half an hour then go back to bed and try again.
- I find having sex helps too smile

MegBusset Tue 04-Jun-13 13:47:00

Not that I fall asleep during sex. That would be rude!

chebella Tue 04-Jun-13 13:48:55

If I have struggled to get to sleep - or to go back to sleep during the night - I try to make sure I squeeze in a swim the next day;20 mins even, plus maybe 15-20 changing before & after, so not more than an hour max, can make all the difference the next night. It helps to prevent the vicious cycle of insomnia & anxiety that often accompanies it by breaking the physical & mental pattern of not-sleeping & worrying (about not-sleeping! Leading to more worrying...ad infinitum!)

renaldo Tue 04-Jun-13 13:48:59

No screens in the bedroom- no tv , laptop, tablets.

chebella Tue 04-Jun-13 13:56:03

If I have struggled to get to sleep - or to go back to sleep during the night - I try to make sure I squeeze in a swim the next day;20 mins even, plus maybe 15-20 changing before & after, so not more than an hour max, can make all the difference the next night. It helps to prevent the vicious cycle of insomnia & anxiety that often accompanies it by breaking the physical & mental pattern of not-sleeping & worrying (about not-sleeping! Leading to more worrying...ad infinitum!)

PostBellumBugsy Tue 04-Jun-13 14:23:43

Being physically tired helps.
Try not to get over-tired, where you are horribly wired & it takes ages to swtich off.
Don't look at computer or phone too much before trying to go to sleep.
If your mind is very fidgety, keep a pen & paper by the bed & make a note of the thought, so that you can let go of it.
If you do find yourself awake, try not to stress but accept it & persuade yourself that you are not awake for as long as you think you.

A lovely bath with nice bath oil and a gin and tonic always sorts me out.
Nice clean bedding and cosy pyjamas are a must too.

I liked the tip about sleep being something that happens to you.

I have slept better since.....
Removing tv and laptop from bedroom.

Having a good de-clutter and keeping the bedroom tidy.

getting the best mattress you can afford or a topper, getting nice bed linen.

making a list of the things you have to do the next day.

I won't allow a tv or computer in the bedroom and sleep better if there's no phone either.
I avoid heavy meals before bedtime, but make sure I've had enough so that I won't wake hungry (a difficult balance to strike).
I try to spend a bit of time reading or watching tv to relax before going to bed - I can't sleep straight after coming in from work, no matter how late that is.
I keep a drink by the bed for just in case I get thirsty so I don't have to get up.
I have

starkadder Tue 04-Jun-13 18:23:39

Don't have children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now