Share your best super-quick make-up tips with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(176 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:39

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The first of these is about make-up tips. It's only 3 mins long so please do have a listen to make-up artist Daniel Sandler's recommendations on tinted moisturise, curling mascara and other super-quick make-up secrets.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
~ What do you make of Daniel's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 14:21:07

I'm actually more perturbed by the idea that 'looking good' is only achievable by make up. And being a size 0.

I look fine, thanks, even with no make up and not being a size 0.

Make up takes 3 minutes! Mascara & blush are my essentials, without which I look as knackered as I feel

WowOoo Tue 21-May-13 16:03:54

I can't do my make up in less than 3 minutes.

If I had to I'd do- cream blusher to give me some colour, mascara to make me look a bit more awake and then some Vaseline on lips.

Fast Tue 21-May-13 17:42:56

I don't wear make-up every day but I always try to curl my eyelashes, even if I'm not wearing mascara, it really does make a difference as to how 'awake' I look.

I'm also aware of needing to use sun protection on my face so Rimmel foundation with SPF18 is great if I'm in a rush. Good value for money and doesn't take any longer to apply than normal sun cream, with the bonus of evening out my colour a little bit.

CareerGirl01 Tue 21-May-13 18:13:41

Make sure you ate getting adequate nutrition. I started wearing self tan after my DD2 was born 13 days ago. I didn't manage to apply it the last few days and it was only then my family noticed how pale I looked (compared to my pregnancy). When I saw my GP for post c section pain relief this morning she noticed how pale I was and ordered an immediate blood test. Turns out I'm anaemic - and the make up I was piling on hid it! New mums need to prioritise their health above their looks
As for Daniel's tips - nothing new teally

CareerGirl01 Tue 21-May-13 18:18:20

Saying that - when im better i will be mostly tinting my eyebrows and eyelashes - using a heated eyelash curler, won't need mascara then. Swap usual moisteriser for one with a bit of fake tan in. Then if you get time a BB cream with sunscreen and use eyeshadow to double up as an eyeliner. Just lip gloss for lips.

Wowserz129 Tue 21-May-13 18:22:43

My make up tips would be buy a good concealer which can cover up blemishes quicker than a cheap rubbish one. I feel instantly fresher in the morning once I have covered my blemishes.

Mascara is so quick to do anyway, the real thing I have mastered quickly is eyeliner. I start off by looking into the mirror to get the inner and outer eye edges then I sit the mirror flat and look down into it so I can see the line along my eyelid more clearly. I used to spend a lot of time messing around trying to get the line without making a mess and ripping my eyelashes out in the process. My eye lashes are really long so hard to see past for eye liner. Flipping the mirror down has made it so much easier and simpler to do.

If you don't have time to do a much in the morning even slapping on some tinted moisturiser and Rimmel lipgloss makes a huge difference.

Oh and always use a primer before foundation!

TeaAddict235 Tue 21-May-13 18:23:41

BOOTS PLEASE STOCK BB CREAMS FOR BLACK LADIES!!!

Why do we have to bulk buy from the USA or from Asia? You have to stock wider skin tone products. Stopping at "fair" or "neutral" just won't cut it. If the French stores have understood it, and they are at least 60 years behind us in Europe, then there is really no excuse Boots.

And I won't share my "secrets" with you until you provide for my needs.

BonzoDooDah Tue 21-May-13 18:49:53

Wash your face - always helps you look better.

And then stick on some mascara.

Beechview Tue 21-May-13 19:47:35

I agree with posters who say good nutrition and plenty of water. Take a good multi vitamin too.
Get hair and eyebrows sorted regularly then make up can just be an extra.

I don't wear make up regularly, I currently have a lovely pregnancy glow that doesn't take any time to apply.

Slick of moisturiser on a clean face, clean hair (if my toddler lets me have a decent shower) and a smile is EVERYTHING that any woman needs

VerySmallSqueak Wed 22-May-13 08:50:27

I look good in a rush by saving time not doing make up and letting the real me show.
There's nothing more beautiful than a natural woman <breaks into song>.

Enough sleep,enough water,and a face that tells a story.Perfect.

LiveItUp Wed 22-May-13 12:46:33

Good nutrition, good genes, plenty of sleep, then slap on a bit of moisturiser followed very quickly by a bit of light foundation with SPF and ready to take on the day. Simples.

flamingtoaster Wed 22-May-13 14:18:22

Get the basics right first - as others have said lots of water and good nutrition. Second most important thing to looking good is to look tidy - no amount of makeup will make you look good if you look like an unmade bed - so neat hair and neat clothes, even if casual. If in a rush all you need then is a little mascara and lip gloss.

Keldolly Wed 22-May-13 16:41:08

I always use fairy platinum on my skin that has been accidentally dyed after dying my hair, I love it, it takes the colour right off and I use a dark chocolate colour as well!!, it's also fabulous for getting stubborn mascara off! Just rinse well with warm water smile

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 22-May-13 19:03:47

Paint on your feel-good,
Three short minutes,
What's under the tint,
Nobody needs to see,
Let it hide,
Your baby is crying.

madmomma Wed 22-May-13 19:30:19

best tip for if you have only a minute is just to give yourself some colour and stop your skin looking greasy. So a bit of cream blush (doubled up as a lip stain with a bit of vaseline on top), then a light touch of translucent powder and out the door. Please can I have £250 now Boots? pleeeaaase?

Livvylongpants Wed 22-May-13 22:01:53

If you use an eyeshadow that's powder and you get it on your cheeks etc. (quite common with Barry m etc) don't wipe it! Use a blusher brush to brush it away so it doesn't smudge. smile

GetKnitted Wed 22-May-13 22:21:54

my make up routine: wash face

Queenmarigold Wed 22-May-13 22:26:03

Foundation to cover up red bits, plus mascara. Job done, off to school run!

smokinaces Wed 22-May-13 22:57:25

Liquid eyeliner makes every face look made up. Collection 2000 do a great felt tip one cheap that lasts forever and is foolproof to put on. That and a quick coat of mascara and its a world of difference.

thestringcheesemassacre Thu 23-May-13 10:56:52

I put a slick of bb cream on (maybelline cheap one), some concealer on the bags and lip balm and I'm ready for a quick exit to school gates. The BB cream has such good coverage.

scarlet76 Thu 23-May-13 12:39:19

My 2 handed make up tips smile:

1. ALWAYS moisturise (Simple range)
2. Light covering of Clinique super double face powder
3. Maybelline black mascara
4. Bourjois pink blush (I look ill without)
5. Vaseline on lips

et voila, I feel ready to face the world in around 2 minutes.

issimma Thu 23-May-13 14:22:37

Bright lipstick, not nude, makes me look vaguely alive after being up all night with the baby.
Black mascara can be too harsh - brown often better.

ArcticRoll Thu 23-May-13 15:58:08

Tinted lipbalm
Cream blush
Mascara
Concealer
If going out during day and very tired wear sunglasses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now