Share your best super-quick make-up tips with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(176 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:39

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The first of these is about make-up tips. It's only 3 mins long so please do have a listen to make-up artist Daniel Sandler's recommendations on tinted moisturise, curling mascara and other super-quick make-up secrets.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
~ What do you make of Daniel's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

ifindoubtnamechange Mon 20-May-13 22:11:52

I use lipstick/lipstain as blusher. Runs in quick, avoids the need for extra brushes etc.

I have also devloped the ability to apply make up (other than eyeliner) in motion , without a mirror. Which helps.

ifindoubtnamechange Mon 20-May-13 22:12:19

Rubs in

kerryv Mon 20-May-13 22:55:06

Lip gloss and mascara. Done!

MrsEdinburgh Tue 21-May-13 00:29:45

Benefit Pore Professional is my 10 second fix. It's the best primer that I have ever used.

Snog Tue 21-May-13 06:32:44

My make up is fast and my latest tip is to have an open box on your dressing table with all your used every day make up items in. Less frequently used items in the drawer underneath.

Lindsay41277 Tue 21-May-13 08:55:21

Mosturise and a bit of mascara, waterproof of course as you don't want any more black around the eyes. wink

Regarding toddler tantrums if there is any advice on these much appreciated.

delasi Tue 21-May-13 09:43:10

Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?

I echo previous posters on general wellbeing: moisturise, hydrate, fruit and veg, and sleep (where possible!).

As for quick make up, for me it's:
- tinted moisturiser (Laura Mercier)
- dab of concealer (NYX or Rimmel Match Perfection)
- light highlighting blush (Body Shop Shimmer Waves)
- brow define and brown eyeliner on lids (Body Shop Brow & Liner Kit)
- tinted lip balm (currently Body Shop Born Lippy)

If I wanted to be quicker I'd skip the concealer and use the rose Vaseline pot for blush and lips. If I had next to no time I would just do brows and eyeliner. However the above is really quick - if it wasn't, I wouldn't do it.

What do you make of Daniel's tips?
Some good tips such as tinted moisturiser (blends easily, keeps moisturised) and the multipurpose items, but nothing new or exciting (sorry!).

katiewalters Tue 21-May-13 11:04:33

i always make sure i moisturise my face in the morning, even if thats all i do, as my skin stays hyrdated and fresh feeling throughout the day. i also add a bit of lipgloss (a natural colour), mascara and some eyeshadow. takes less than 3minutes

telsa Tue 21-May-13 11:07:08

Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
Smile! Also find a quick application of a gaudy red lipstick lifts a face, should you want it.

What do you make of Daniel's tips?
Got to agree with the cynics here. We glow naturally! Anyhow, was not too impressed with the tips from Daniel. I guess if you wear moisturizer it is a good tip, but I don't even know what it is really.

THERhubarb Tue 21-May-13 11:45:26

It's a shame that women feel they have to wear make-up now in order to look good. It's not enough that new mums are battling with sleep deprivation, caring for their little ones, trying to get back to work, etc but now you are also expected to look your best too.

I do wonder how on earth fathers manage with all this lack of sleep, feeding issues, never having a minute to themselves, unable to even go for a pee without having the baby strapped to them and having to moisturise and apply make-up too. Poor men, they really do get it bad don't they? Maybe Boots should start a forum giving new fathers tips on how to look good as we all know that looking good is the least they can do. No-one wants to see a man looking tired, dishevelled, with a stubble and no make-up on do they?

No, confident men are men who manage to make time for themselves every morning whilst managing to feed the baby at the same time.

Sorry Mumsnet and Boots but these "tips" are surely just another subtle way of putting pressure on women. They are now expected to look good and having a new baby is no longer an excuse not to apply make-up.

Give new mums a bloody break and stop piling on the pressure!

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 12:20:49

The really sad thing, Rhubarb, is that they need an excuse to not wear make up, not that no longer have an excuse.

Just don't wear it if you don't want to.

Mandy21 Tue 21-May-13 12:30:28

3 minutes to do something for myself is definitely a luxury in the newborn stage - and one handed was also a treat given that I had twins and often had one in each arm - but its worth using it to apply a little bit of make up because for me it makes me look slightly better and gives the false impression that I have everything is under control. I found that singing whilst applying worked wonders for entertaining the children, not quite so great for the finished made up look wink.

I agree that tinted moisturiser is brilliant to give a little bit of colour and nutrition to my skin, Benefit Benetint (cheek and lip stain - dual purpose, see, I was listening smile) mascara and lip gloss. If I'm really going for it and children aren't screaming by this point, I also do a quick sweep with bronzer. Literally 60 seconds required but makes me feel ready to take on the chaotic day ahead smile!

THERhubarb Tue 21-May-13 12:38:43

I agree Tee. I mean what can be more important than looking good? Having a new baby is no longer an excuse, women MUST be taught that looking good is now essential every single day and that cannot be achieved without make-up.

If you don't wear make-up then you are obviously lacking in confidence and lack the vital resources to get through a chaotic day. As we all know, wearing make-up will make your days more manageable.

Hardly feminist thinking is it? MNHQ shame on you, I expected better.

RachelHRD Tue 21-May-13 12:47:51

My daily make up regime involves a a quick look in the mirror to check my hair isn't standing on end in between getting the DC's up and out of the door for school. If I'm really lucky I might get time to pop on some eyeliner which I think makes all the difference to how I look and pop a bit of concealer on any obvious spots.....

My top tip is if you want to look a million dollars and made up perfectly dint have kids!!!!! Seriously though, moisturiser before bed, avoid foundation because it clogs up your pores and just highlight your eyes with liner and your lips with a bit of gloss and go au natural!!!

Steffanoid Tue 21-May-13 12:48:00

my best make up tip is a good BB cream, put it on with your fingers, you dont go orange (unless you're 8 months pregnant and the pigments in your skin have changed ) they really are great, and a good mascara goes a long way, if you've got a few more minutes benefit benetint is a great product and so is soap and glory sexy mother pucker.

I have a feeling these tips are going to be repeated a lot

RachelHRD Tue 21-May-13 12:48:30

My daily make up regime involves a a quick look in the mirror to check my hair isn't standing on end in between getting the DC's up and out of the door for school. If I'm really lucky I might get time to pop on some eyeliner which I think makes all the difference to how I look and pop a bit of concealer on any obvious spots.....

My top tip is if you want to look a million dollars and made up perfectly dint have kids!!!!! Seriously though, moisturiser before bed, avoid foundation because it clogs up your pores and just highlight your eyes with liner and your lips with a bit of gloss and go au naturel!!!

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 12:49:59

Is that all it will take to make my life more manageable? A bit of make up?

I'll run right out and buy some!

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 21-May-13 12:56:27

Stephanoid The no 7 BB cream in fair IS orange. I'm not pregnant, it's just a shit product. As I said before, they obvioysly don't feel fair people should be wearing makeup. Quite a disdainful attitude for a company that used to be reputable.

THERhubarb Tue 21-May-13 13:00:25

Look you lot. If you just had a new baby, wearing make-up should be the last thing on your mind. So what if you look a bit rough around the edges? You've got a new baby ffs! People don't expect you to look like you just stepped off the catwalk!

Eat well, get your partner to share responsibilities, make time for yourself, keep hydrated, sleep when you can. Stuff what other people think or how you look. You have more important priorities.

That's my tip. £250 please.

JedwardScissorhands Tue 21-May-13 13:28:29

Top tip on how to look good in a rush - curl your eye lashes. Nothing new or startling. Regular maintenance including sleep and nutrition is much more effective than make up.

Daniel's tips are nothing new, sorry. Much better tips to be found on the Style and Beauty boards. The Soap and Glory foot file for example - revolutionary! I also realise that a foot file is not make up...

Tee2072 Tue 21-May-13 13:35:23

I should probably mention, in interest of full disclosure, that am one of the testers on the Clinque tinted moisturiser thingy.

However, I signed up as I'm looking for a new moisturiser. I don't care if it's tinted or not. In fact, it's not all that tinted!

projectbabyweight Tue 21-May-13 13:41:19

Every thread I read, THERhubarb is on there saying what I think!

<stalker>

ShatnersBassoon Tue 21-May-13 13:43:04

Top tip - tinted moisturiser is far more forgiving than foundation when applied in a hurry and gives a less 'made up' look for every day.

I don't understand all of this anti-makeup chat. Who cares if people want to disguise parts that they're not happy with, or enhance parts they do want people to look at? Men shave every day for no reason other not wanting to have a beard because they don't like the way it looks or feels, I've never heard anyone accuse them of letting down men by being silly and vain.

LurcioLovesFrankie Tue 21-May-13 14:01:31

Not smug, more don't give a flying whatever. It's a great attitude to nurture, I can recommend it.

THERhubarb Tue 21-May-13 14:19:10

Because ShatnersBassoon we are bombared with adverts, TV programmes and articles telling us women how to 'look good'. We are told how to dress to flatter our shape, how to wear our hair, how to put on make-up and it all gives out the subtle but persistent message that you have to look and dress in a certain way according to societal expectations.

New mums especially are a vulnerable target group who may already have confidence issues and pressures of coping with a new mum. I didn't think it appropriate for them to be targeted and told that they can still apply make-up with one hand whilst feeding a baby with the other.

Men actually can look dishevelled and are told it's sexy. They are 'allowed' to look tired and aren't told they must hide the bags under their eyes or moisturise tired skin or apply lip balm or curling mascara.

It's this targeting of women and piling pressure on them to conform and look good that I disagree with.

projectbabyweight blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now