Share your best super-quick make-up tips with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(176 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:39

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The first of these is about make-up tips. It's only 3 mins long so please do have a listen to make-up artist Daniel Sandler's recommendations on tinted moisturise, curling mascara and other super-quick make-up secrets.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
~ What do you make of Daniel's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 20-May-13 12:50:42

Glad I'm not alone reading back!!

Alligatorpie Mon 20-May-13 12:56:47

I rarely spend more than 3 minutes putting on make up. A bit of eyeliner, mascara, curl eyelashes, lipstick / gloss and I am done. I do put sunscreen on most days so maybe that pushes me to three minutes.

I might follow Daniel's advice and use a tinted moisturizer and concealed under my eyes because although my daughter is 11 months, she still doesn't sleep through the night and I do look tired.

LittleMissMedium Mon 20-May-13 13:02:37

I hate the process of doing my make up but without it people always ask me if I'm ill, so it's apparently a must.

This morning's three minute blast was:

Smashbox primer (twas expensive, but once I've done my make up in the morning, I'll be damned if that stuff doesn't stay on all day. This also does do a good job of smoothing over my pores and keeping the make up firmly on for 9 hrs, and the tube lasts forever) Blob on forehead, each cheek and chin
Maxfactor 3 in 1 foundation - dot on the forehead, each cheek and chin. Work from the 'inside' of the face out, making sure that I blend well so not to have a tide mark! This is a 30 second dash.
Brush clear mascara over brows to tame, fill them in quickly if they're patchy (spend 30 secs on this tops)
Quick poke in the eye of mascara

And BOOM I'm done.

If I have slightly more time, I pop a bit of highlighter (literally, a touch, or I will look truly luminous and not in a good way) down the center of my nose and blend, because my nose is nasty and a bit bumpy and... medium sized. It seems to contour it nicely. Also put the same stuff just under my eyebrows to make me look less droopy!

Raaraa, the couple of times I've worn make up it felt like my face was encased in a mask. No smugness intended, make up is a choice, I choose not to, because I prefer that way. Different people make different choices.

CheeryCherry Mon 20-May-13 13:13:53

Wash with cold wet flannel, moisturise, then waterproof mascara every day. That's all folks!

Princessdivaaa Mon 20-May-13 13:23:21

Wash with a foaming face wash and moisturise.
a light dusting of loose face powder, eye liner, mascara and tinted Vaseline for my lips and voila - done..

LillyofWinchester Mon 20-May-13 13:27:39

How do I put my face on?! With one hand??? Why would I ever need to do that; I have my face on my person at all times. And I have two hands, thanks.

Honestly, if I don't have time or both hands free then make up will be the last thing I'm thinking about. I'd much rather use the extra 3 minutes for a lie in or to have some toast.

If I've had my full quota of sleep then I don't bother with make up, I have my brows and lashes tinted otherwise I look like a potato.

However, seeing as a goods nights sleep is hard to come by....once I let my moisturiser sink in I apply some spf50 b&b cream using a beauty blender sponge then a dob of cream blush using the same sponge to blend, bit of pink Vaseline on my lips and I'm happy that I don't look so tired anymore.

PrincessOfChina Mon 20-May-13 13:34:53

I rarely leave the house without some kind of make-up - personally I feel better with it (alongside doing something to my hair). I use a MAC foundation with SPF, Benefit mascara and Benefit blush. Certainly takes less than 3 minutes...although that usually depends if I have to pause and tame a toddler mid-application.

Amrapaali Mon 20-May-13 13:42:38

See this is why I luuurve MN!! We don't stand for no bullshit, and I am glad MNers can see through marketing/advertising gimmicks...

Amrapaali Mon 20-May-13 13:43:15

Oooh meant to add... Go MumsNet! MNers rule!

Tee2072 Mon 20-May-13 13:45:58

No one is being smug about not wearing make up.

I just can't be bothered. I don't care if you do or not.

emily80 Mon 20-May-13 14:08:10

I'm not a big make up person - I put on a bit of mascara if I'm going to work or anywhere special, but mornings where I'm just doing the school run I don't normally bother. My make up doesn't take long at all, it's my clothes and deciding what to wear that take me longer!

themaltesecat Mon 20-May-13 14:30:44

One-handed- why, in God's name?! Is frigging oneself and applying foundation simultaneously one of those weird English customs I have et to encounter?

Best method of getting slap onto one's face: hand child to husband, ensconce self in bathroom, stay there till you're good and ready to come out.

Fazerina Mon 20-May-13 14:35:46

Probably the only thing I manage with one hand only is lipbalm.. Probably why I hardly ever wear make up grin..

LaTrucha Mon 20-May-13 14:42:01

Is there another way to do it?

ItsYonliMe Mon 20-May-13 15:49:46

I'm not a mum so it's not appropriate for me I assume.

Patronising or what!

ItsYonliMe Mon 20-May-13 15:51:57

The other Helen - now you are blatently advertising for Boots it's a downwards spiral for mumsnet.

Ooops, I've just remembered.

JS06 Mon 20-May-13 16:16:32

I can almost put make up on in the dark ......... and in double quick time ..... tinted moisturiser, blusher, eyeliner, mascara, go! But my tip to save grace, face and blushes is to always always check myself in the car mirror before I step out the car. Any heavy-handedness with blusher or eyeliner can be rectified in cold light of day before I scare the neighbourhood.

anklebitersmum Mon 20-May-13 16:33:02

another moisturise and run merchant here.

I probably should wear some 'face' now-a-days even if it's just to not scare the neighbours I just never have done during the day.

My 'going out' make-up is a rub over with foundation, apply mascara and a good lipstick so I guess I'm just a hopeless case blush

NigelYerABawbag Mon 20-May-13 16:35:01

I never said I didn't wear make up!

I do. Eyeliner, anyway.

I just object to a male representative of a massive multinational company being given a platform by Mumsnet to tell us 'busy mums' [vom] that we are not 'presentable' without it hmm

piprabbit Mon 20-May-13 16:48:46

Wash face.
Brush hair.
Done.

Chislemum Mon 20-May-13 16:57:05

Ha, even before DS it never took me more than 2 min to put makeup on but I am lazy and only wear it for work. Wash face while under shower, then slap on moisturizer (I will name a brand: Nivea), slap on foundation (with good coverage, like Lancome Teint Idoel, which I have used since 22 years old), bit of blusher (Bobbi Brown, Clinique, whatever was in a gifttime box etc), a bit of mascara and if I have three minutes a bit of eye shadow or eyeliner. I only use balm for lips. Seriously, how can this take more than three minutes. Never got that.

However, when at home I am guilty of just washing my face and maybe some Nivea. Too lazy for anything else. Grin.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 20-May-13 17:09:36

Unfortunately, as I'm fair, Boots don't feel I am worthy to be wearing makeup. No brown mascara, the no 7 BB cream in fair is orange (and too thick and sticky, anyway). Thanks for your total disdain, Boots. Oh, and one handed makeup? Crock of shit!

Ida3456 Mon 20-May-13 17:11:08

Benefit posie tint is my top tip. It puts some colour in my cheeks and genuinely lasts all day. It is quite expensive but a small bottle lasts ages.

That and some concealer under the eyes (I use no 7)

Job done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now