Share your best super-quick make-up tips with the Boots Feel Good Forum - £250 cash to be won

(176 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 15:11:39

Now that the Boots Feel Good Forum series is over, we've packaged up what we think are the best bits - so you can listen to them in easy, short, bite size chunks.

The first of these is about make-up tips. It's only 3 mins long so please do have a listen to make-up artist Daniel Sandler's recommendations on tinted moisturise, curling mascara and other super-quick make-up secrets.

~ Do you have any advice of your own to share on how to look good in a rush?
~ What do you make of Daniel's tips?

Everyone who listens and adds their own tips or feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 cash.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Flisspaps Mon 20-May-13 10:02:45

I wear my face all the time, it's quite handy. I'd find it tricky to put it on in the morning, with it being attached to me.

I put make up on occasionally...

rootypig Mon 20-May-13 10:14:31

One handed? what are you doing with the other hand? You need the right products - a foolproof tinted cream, a pinkish blush, a mascara that doesn't clump. And a lock on the door to keep DC out! If you're lining your eyes, use a cotton bud soaked in eye make up remover to correct any dreadful mistakes.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Mon 20-May-13 10:14:57

wish there was a hide option on the Android app sad.

FattyMcChubster Mon 20-May-13 10:17:58

I wear makeup nearly every day. Hardly takes any time which is handy as dd likes a good rummage in my make up bag!
I sit infront of a naturally lit mirror, apply straight after cleansing and moisturising and have a very simple routine.
I only use small amounts; foundation, concealer, mascara and blush. Probably takes 2-3 minutes?
I'd do more for a night out or event but that's my everyday 'face' and makes me feel better so why not?

NigelYerABawbag Mon 20-May-13 10:20:42

How very empowering of Boots and Mumsnet hmm

Because of course women don't "look presentable" without mascara and tinted moisturiser, do we?

MonstersDontCry Mon 20-May-13 10:29:10

I always put my day to day make up on in under 3 minutes.

The thread title made me laugh. Having just broken my right hand, I have to say make up is not top of my list of things to work out - if anyone can explain how to tie long hair out of the way using only a very incompetent left hand then I a listening. I don't think I will be attempting mascara though - I would be blind and one handed then.

rootypig Mon 20-May-13 11:03:22
PostBellumBugsy Mon 20-May-13 11:05:18

To the people at Boots - there is something a bit vomulous about that handy tip thing. The bright & breezy new mum & the slightly Gok Wanish man giving make up advice - it just doesn't sit right. It sounds phoney.

My top tips for applying make up - as I'm glad to report I have a perfectly good face - are:

Waterproof mascara
24 hour superstay lipcolour from Maybelline
the best foundation you can afford
benefit tint for blusher

I can apply my make up in less than 3 mins.

Nothing wrong with a baby wipe to take the stuff off at the end of the day either. If it is good enough for a baby's bits, then it is good enough for my face!

dahville Mon 20-May-13 11:11:28

His tips re dual use is very good, multi-purpose cuts down on the number of products and the time it takes. One thing missing is the impact nutrition has on dark circles under the eyes - your organs need to be working properly so make sure you get enough water during the day and it will also help with the dark circles.

Tee2072 Mon 20-May-13 11:15:23

Easily...don't wear make up.

Moisturize and off you go!

JoyMachine Mon 20-May-13 11:26:23

So pleeased others have same approach as me. If you don't have time for something, it doesn't happen!
We don't need companies such as Boots scaring us into putting chemicals on our skin for the benefit of others thank you.

Stealth- hope it's better soon.

chocolatemartini Mon 20-May-13 11:39:37

What joymachine said. It's all stealth advertising.

My face is lovely. I save at least 3 minutes a day, and gain the use of both hands, by putting on a smile in the morning. It looks better and more attractive than even a full face of make upsmile. See?

PostBellumBugsy Mon 20-May-13 11:58:44

Of course it is advertising. Boots make their money from selling beauty products!!!!! grin

I don't know if they have to pay MN to post on here, but I expect even if they do, it still represents some very good value market research.

But hey, I'll give an opinion for the chance of £250 cash!

Clawdy Mon 20-May-13 12:07:48

All-in-one foundation,crayon eyeliner and tinted lipsalve-takes one minute!

rightsaidthread Mon 20-May-13 12:17:09

Mmm not sure I can manage presentable one handed makeup grin but can certainly moisturise put on foundation, concealer, powder and mascara in under 3 minutes.

I agree with other posters to buy the best products that you can afford.
I usually go for the 3 for 2 offers and the £5 off no.7 vouchers. More of those please Boots.

LOL Rootypig - he still uses 2 hands, though sad.

Thanks, Joy - so do I smile

Trinski Mon 20-May-13 12:29:57

For me it's all about nutrition and sleep. Spending the time eating fruit, drinking water and sleeping, rather than putting on makeup, has much more of an effect. I rarely put anything on my face except a quick rinse with water and more than once I've had people ask how I get my skin to look so clear. Mind you, that was before I had a baby...

WaitingForMe Mon 20-May-13 12:40:11

I ration DSs favourite teddy. Mickey is the most super fabulous thing ever and I'm guaranteed a few minutes to myself as he is beside himself with joy each time he rediscovers him grin

Anyone who thinks make-up can be done one handedly hasn't held my child!

As for products it's all about the peach blusher. Never thought I'd wear it but it reduces the undead look a treat.

Belmo Mon 20-May-13 12:42:00

I take less than 3 minutes I think: foundation, I use a light maybelline one and just slap in on tbh, mascara and sometimes a bit of eyeliner. All whilst watching dd out of the corner of my eye and singing at the top of my voice.
I'm not great one handed though, last time I tried to put mascara on with a baby on my hip I stabbed myself in the eye.

This takes me 3 minutes:
Moisturise
Apply BB cream
Cream blusher on cheeks
Whack on some mascara
Lip liner & gloss

I have my eyebrows tinted for definition which saves time.

Raaraathenoisybaby Mon 20-May-13 12:48:37

Meh at the smug we don't wear make up posts.

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 20-May-13 12:49:35

I would prefer tips on how to prevent toddler tantrums in under 3 seconds grin

Tbh makeup isn't a regular part of my life ATM smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now