Listen to MNers talking about getting ready for summer on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - £200 voucher to be won

(152 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 12:19:23

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses tips and advice on getting ready for summer, from travel health and sun safety to how to get your body beach-ready! MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts GP Dr Rob Hicks, Boots Skin Scientific Advisor Mike Bell and Michelle Mone, founder and CEO of Ultimo and creator of body sculpting skincare ranges Usculpt and Utan. Mike has answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down for those - there will be some answers from Dr Rob very soon too.

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £200 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

clarkej Mon 22-Apr-13 22:04:08

last year there was a story that zinc oxide produces free radicals when exposed to sunlight.is there any more to this?

Rosehassometoes Tue 23-Apr-13 08:00:20

Is dry body brushing really worth adding to my routine?

SacreBlue Tue 23-Apr-13 08:46:14

I leave conditioner in my hair or coat it in oils - you can get yummy smelling ones - then plait it. I spend most sunny days in summer with my hair in plaits which keeps it out of the way, cool on my neck and it always looks in better condition when washed out for wearing down. A bandana or scarf keeps the parting from getting burnt and if you aren't one for girly plaits you can easily pin them around your head in a fräulein type way or up at the back like a mini bun.

My question is at the other end - as mentioned above hard skin is difficult to tackle and advice would be welcome. I spend a considerable amount of time barefoot, even outdoors which is probably why the skin has toughened itself up! so some tips on softening them even the heel/toe if not the sole up would be great.

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Apr-13 11:29:30

I get ready for summer by stockpiling sunblock and finding the sun hats. I never tan, only burn, and now have nerve damage in one arm that makes it incredibly sensitive to the sun - so I don't do beach holidays, do a nice line in UV protection clothing and my only body preparation is painting my toe nails

magentastardust Tue 23-Apr-13 13:57:51

Should I be putting some sort of sun protection on my hair ? Is there such a thing like a leave in type conditioner or a spray? Don't want my hair to dry out and go brassy looking? Thanks

PostBellumBugsy Tue 23-Apr-13 16:31:34

What is your stance on so many beauty products containing parabens, which is now known to be an endocrine disrupter?

MissRee Wed 24-Apr-13 11:43:56

Always exfoliate your legs before shaving them! It ensures that you get the closest shave to the hair follicle and you stay smoother for longer grin

OR

Do what I do and get them waxed!

Sodabread Wed 24-Apr-13 12:07:50

What insect repellents are safe and effective for babies?

I always ensure I have freshly shaven legs, have exfoliated well and moisturised when out in the sun. It helps you to tan and for the tan to remain even. The sun can also dry skin out so this helps to prevent that. x

issimma Wed 24-Apr-13 21:03:09

Wear a summery perfume. That way, even if it's chucking it down, your hair is frizzy, your nose is burnt and your legs are blindingly white, you'll feel all zesty and fresh.

OrWellyAnn Wed 24-Apr-13 22:17:16

Keep suncream and aftersun in the fridge. It keeps them fresh for longer and it's a quick cool down for the kids when you apply it.

ataraxia Wed 24-Apr-13 22:28:43

tip - keep a bottle of suncream in the car/at work so you can make the most of unexpected sun!

My top tip, for adults and children, is to invest in several decent sized sun hats with full, wide brims. They protect the scalp, face, neck and shoulders from the sun, as opposed to caps which only shade the face. Keeps everyone cooler, and protect from the sun. Hats with ties are ideal for active children, and we always welcome summer by buying some basic hats and then spending an afternoon customising them with fabric pens, beads etc.

sarat1 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:21:03

Even though getting feet out in sandals probably means toenails will be painted, it is a good idea to ensure the nails are healthy first by starting each morning after a shower by rubbing in a good oil or balm to nourish them in preparation.

twotrackmind Thu 25-Apr-13 21:21:02

What is a good suncream for a child with excema? I haven't found one my daughter's skin doesn't react badly to.

Valen151212 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:03:18

Hi to all lovely Mums,

I am very new to mumsnet and need lots of guidance being first time Mum. What sunscreen can I use for my little Valen who is 4 months now. We are also travelling to a very hot country soon any help would' Beverly much appreciated. Xxx

kweggie Fri 26-Apr-13 15:39:58

I am pale-skinned. obviously if it is sunny before my holiday, my face and maybe arms might get slightly tanned. When I'm on holiday,should I use the same SPF factor cream everywhere, or vary it for different/paler parts of my body? Do I reduce the SPF as I (hopefully) start to tan?

Here are two tips:

If you overheat, run wrists under cold water, or run an ice cube over wrists, inner elbows or backs of knees where the blood is close to the skin surface.

If you do burn a bit by mistake, natural yoghurt will take the heat out if you don't have any after sun cream.

Leafmould Fri 26-Apr-13 19:31:58

Thank you Helen, I will make sure I listen to the show.

homemadepesto Sat 27-Apr-13 10:12:47

Make sure you take your E111 form if you are going to Europe! It will save you money if you need health care!

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Sat 27-Apr-13 11:36:27

Pesto - the E111 hasn't existed for years. There is now the EHIC.

Whilst you should definitely take the EHIC it is absolutely no substitute for travel insurance, which is a necessity.

Mamafratelli Sat 27-Apr-13 12:54:23

My top tip for getting summer ready is a three parter

1) Go out for a jog or brisk walk, you'll see that you tone up quickly and radiate a healthy look.

2) Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate.

3) use a moisturiser with a slight tan, you'll look glowing and have super smooth skin.

Do all of these things at least 3 times a week and you'll be summer ready in no time.

vole3 Sun 28-Apr-13 06:39:38

Don't forget when travelling across time zones to adjust your timing if you're on the mini pill i.e. the one that has to be taken at the same time, give or take an hour, each day or you may have a very permanent souvenir of your holiday!
Obviously you will also need to adjust again once back.

ClaraOswinOswald Sun 28-Apr-13 17:59:36

Is it true that you need the EHIC even if you have travel insurance as some insurers make it a condition that you do and won't pay out if you are unwell or in an accident?

Dollylucy Sun 28-Apr-13 19:21:07

Is there a suntan lotion that I can put on DS at 7.30am and is still active at 1pm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now