Listen to MNers talking about getting ready for summer on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - £200 voucher to be won

(152 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 12:19:23

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses tips and advice on getting ready for summer, from travel health and sun safety to how to get your body beach-ready! MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts GP Dr Rob Hicks, Boots Skin Scientific Advisor Mike Bell and Michelle Mone, founder and CEO of Ultimo and creator of body sculpting skincare ranges Usculpt and Utan. Mike has answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down for those - there will be some answers from Dr Rob very soon too.

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £200 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

MissRee Fri 19-Apr-13 12:29:03

Am I right in thinking that there is hardly any difference in using Factor 50 and Factor 30 suncreams? Surely its a good thing to let your skin be exposed to a certain amount of UV rays? (Potential for Vitamin D deficiency being one reason!)

mrsdinklage Fri 19-Apr-13 12:43:41

We're getting summer ? Really - with sunshine and everything hmm
I'm fully prepared. My mac and wellies are in the porch !

ohforfoxsake Fri 19-Apr-13 13:34:24

Why do I need to get my body ready for summer? Is it meant to have different functions according to the seasons?

LaVitaBellissima Fri 19-Apr-13 13:54:19

What is a good sun cream for toddlers, last years bought a factor 50 children's cream, but it was thicker than sudocream!

Also I always burn my parting (scalp) when on the beach & in/out of the sea, is there a scalp product that's easy to apply, and doesn't result in nasty greasy hair?

elizaco Fri 19-Apr-13 15:59:47

It's over 10 years since we last had a holiday in the sun, but as it's my 40th birthday year, we're heading to Majorca in July. Any tips/advice now that my body is not quite as youthful as it used to be?!

mummy81 Fri 19-Apr-13 16:07:11

Second baby due in June. Any tips on how I get my body back in shape by the end of summer or sooner?

TelevisionDiva Fri 19-Apr-13 16:07:18

What would you recommend to deter the midgies? And then what would you recommend to put on the bites when your original suggestion fails?

Tillyamy Fri 19-Apr-13 16:09:52

After having my feet hidden away in socks and boots for what seems like an eternity, I am looking forward to getting my nails painted and feet out in some pretty sandals! Do you have any advice for getting my tootsies looking great? I suffer from dry skin.

redskyatnight Fri 19-Apr-13 16:11:24

My son hates putting on suncream - we've tried both the creams or the sprays but he hates the greasy feeling. What else can we do to protect him from the sun?

mamof3boys Fri 19-Apr-13 16:13:56

Do once a day suncreams provide enough protection? They're much more convenient but I'm not sure if they really work.

I have really bad undereye circles and I am very pale. Do you think they will go away if I get a tan?

Any suggestions for improving my new tube-map tummy? Is faketan going to help hide stretch marks and disguise wobbly bits or will the stretch marks just stand out even more? !shock

tripecity Fri 19-Apr-13 16:20:51

I have lost my baby weight and want to wear a bikini this summer, but my belly is a little saggy - any tips to disguise it or improve its look?

RollingThunder Fri 19-Apr-13 16:21:35

What would you recommend for an ASD child with sensory issues around cream etc?

I am specifically looking for: The longest lasting (so I have to put it on least often), the least creamy one (as I said, sensory issues) and the one least likely to make his eyes hurt, as that could put him off for life.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 19-Apr-13 16:21:42

Two questions from me!

How much difference is there between, say, an SPF 30 suncream costing £4 and another SPF 30 costing £15? Is one actually affording much better protection than the other or is it just branding?

Why aren't UVA ratings on the front of bottles just like SPFs? Are they not as important?

TheTempest Fri 19-Apr-13 16:24:26

I see someone has beat me to the vitamin D question! I would like to know how to stop my hair going brassy, I've noticed that my (dyed) blonde hair goes very unnatural looking as soon as I get in the sun. Any tips on how to stop this? My body is so far from summer ready that there isn't much point asking!

I had a pre-cancerous mole removed from my calf last year - should I completely cover this area up and shield it from the sun or take the usual protections ie wear sunscreen but expose it in shorts, skirts etc?

hjmiller Fri 19-Apr-13 16:27:28

I keep reading and being told not to put any creams on my newborn babies skin (he's 3 weeks now) but I want to protect him from the sun (I'm fair skinned & red-haired so very sun sensitive myself) - can I use sun cream on him?

Fazerina Fri 19-Apr-13 16:30:04

Planning a holiday in sub-Saharan Africa with my 2-year-old.. Can he take malaria tablets?

4lovelychildren Fri 19-Apr-13 16:34:21

Do all day suncreams really protect children's skin all day?

HazelDormouse Fri 19-Apr-13 16:34:56

What sun cream is best for a child with eczema? Is it better for someone with eczema to wear a shirt and thin long trousers rather than shorts and short sleeved top in order to protect the skin (regardless of putting on sun cream) when it gets really hot? (I suspect I'm being over protective.)

weenwee Fri 19-Apr-13 16:42:59

I'm scared about all the crap that's in kid's suntan lotion, but TERRIFIED about going outside without any! What's the safest way to enjoy the summer with kids (short of an underground bunker)?

Trillz Fri 19-Apr-13 16:44:42

Do you have any recommendations for different ways to deal with travel sickness? How come some people get it and some don't? More importantly, how come I get it now when I didn't as a child?

DinoSnores Fri 19-Apr-13 16:47:00

I was coming to ask about toddler suncream but LaVitaBellissima has beaten me to it, so please answer it! smile

"What is a good sun cream for toddlers, last years bought a factor 50 children's cream, but it was thicker than sudocream!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now