Listen to MNers talking about getting ready for summer on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - £200 voucher to be won

(152 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Apr-13 12:19:23

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses tips and advice on getting ready for summer, from travel health and sun safety to how to get your body beach-ready! MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts GP Dr Rob Hicks, Boots Skin Scientific Advisor Mike Bell and Michelle Mone, founder and CEO of Ultimo and creator of body sculpting skincare ranges Usculpt and Utan. Mike has answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down for those - there will be some answers from Dr Rob very soon too.

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £200 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

sfancy Fri 19-Apr-13 21:11:09

My son has excema-is there a specific sun cream that you can recommend? He is 2.

katiewalters Fri 19-Apr-13 22:03:28

i have a toddler, and just wandered what is the best factor of suncream to use on him. i currently use 50 is this the best? also he suffers with excema, so is there a kids suncream that is best for those with skin conditions like excema?

Wheresthecoffee Fri 19-Apr-13 22:59:41

What would be the safest way to protect my newborn in the sun? Is there a specific gentle but effective baby sunblock?

CuppaSarah Sat 20-Apr-13 07:44:47

Does skin with lots of still red stretch marks need any different sort of sun protection against normal skin? Since it's all damaged and red I'm not sure if I should put stronger sun cream, weaker or just not bother at all.

PolkaDotCups Sat 20-Apr-13 08:20:46

My 7 month old has very sensitive skin. What is the best type of sun cream to use and will it be okay when used over eczema creams she has on prescription. One cream has to be used four times daily, will the suncream act as a barrier? I'm especially concerned about using sun cream on her face and don't want anything too thick that sits heavily on the skin.

rootypig Sat 20-Apr-13 08:28:03

Echoing Polka slightly: I have a 6 month old - is there any high factor sun protection that is sensitive enough for her little face, or should I stick with hats, cover ups and as much shade as possible?

Fazerina Sat 20-Apr-13 08:57:59

I had two more questions to ask, sorry I forgot about them earlier!

What should I be looking out for when buying sun glasses for my toddler (2 years)? And any top tips on how to convince him to wear them hmm?

Also, what is the recommended daily amount of vitamin D for both adults and toddlers? Everyone in my family has brown skin, are the recommendations different?

threepiecesuite Sat 20-Apr-13 09:39:34

How do I teach my 3 year old about sun safety? We're going to Turkey in August and I'm sure I won't be able keep her under the parasol for 2 weeks, what can we show her to make her understand how dangerous the sun is?

What fly/mosquito repellent is safe to use when I'm pregnant?

LaVitaBellissima Sat 20-Apr-13 09:44:24

Iloveafullfridge I find it quite hard to swim wearing a hat!?! smile

Are there any travel-sickness remedies that can be used for a 2year old?

Also, suncream protection for children during the school day really worries me. The longest-acting suncream I've found lasts up to 6 hours. But as children are at school for over 6 hours, and you have to add on travel time, they won't be protected all day. Are there any longer-lasting creams available? (Teachers aren't allowed to apply sunscreen and a young child isn't always capable of applying it properly).

slatorre712 Sat 20-Apr-13 10:20:54

I'm trying to get rid of winter/holiday weight that just doesn't seem to want to go away. I used to work out everyday but this year it just doesn't seem to be happening. So a few weeks ago I stopped eating pasta, potatoes, and rice. I still eat bread. And I will admit to a few plates of pasta here and there. But for the most part its just meat and veggies. So far I've lost 4 kilos. 3 more to go!!!!

Hopezibah Sat 20-Apr-13 10:42:47

I worry a lot about baby overheating - any tips would be appreciated. We have invested in 1 tog sleeping bags for the warmer months and we are very aware of room temperature but it can be so hard on holiday or when out and about to help them stay cool. She is just over a year old now. thank you.

Mouseface Sat 20-Apr-13 10:54:07

What is the best product/brand to use for very sensitive skin that burns easily, even using factor 50 sun creams.

My daughter is 14 and has always burnt, even through swim suits, the half body ones, she would still go slightly pink.

She's fair skinned with dark hair and as far as we're aware, has no skin conditions.

500internalerror Sat 20-Apr-13 12:14:42

Is there any product in existence which can keep you cool in a hot work environment?! I'm thinking some kind of magic spray, the equivalent of sitting with a cold flannel on your head?!

JS06 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:28:45

I'd appreciate some advice on travelling regimes where one of my teens is habitually travel sick, is now worrying in advance of getting on a place as she feels so unwell. What can we do before the summer holiday is 'threatened' with the tension pre and during flight?

LentilAsAnything Sat 20-Apr-13 12:38:09

Which sun lotions do you stock that are suitable for vegans?

HappySunflower Sat 20-Apr-13 14:24:19

What can I do to protect my 2 year old daughter's scalp in the sun?
I do my best to get her to wear a hat, but there are times when she roams hat free.
I've found sprays for adults, but none for children....

VerySmallSqueak Sat 20-Apr-13 15:25:17

I would like a non oily suncream that doesn't make DC's sweat so much when you put it on that it slides off.Are there any?

FloresCircumdati Sat 20-Apr-13 16:15:22

What is the best way to remove dry callouses from the soles of the feet? I have hard skin which pushes into the soles of my feet so that it hurts when I walk. I find I need to cut/shave off this skin with a little knife and blades I bought in Boots, but I am wondering if this is the best thing to do of if there is a better method. (I'm getting ready for lots of walking in the British 'sun' this summer.)

cherrylolly Sat 20-Apr-13 18:45:44

Any tips for dealing with prickly heat, I get it most Summers?

Griselda Sat 20-Apr-13 19:36:23

I worry about all the yucky chemicals in suncream, and the effect on toddlers. What would Boots recommend to look for when comparing brands- which are the ones to really avoid with young children?. Also the spf question re cost- what really makes one cost £4 and another £15? Cheers!

Ok so what is best for cellulite and stretch marks?
Is there one product or technique I can use to improve my post baby body because at the moment I don't feel comfortable at the thought of a one piece let alone a two piece!

Jims Sun 21-Apr-13 07:52:06

I'm very petite (5ft4) and have had two large babie (8lb11 and 9lb10£. Is there anything that'll help make my poor stretch marked saggy tummy look good again?!

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 21-Apr-13 08:23:03

Stoic I apply suncream at the beach because I do not want any of us to spend the entire day with suncream on, particularly DD who wears Factor 50. I want us to get some Vitamin D before slathering on the cream. It is easy enough to keep children away from the pool or sea for a while after applying the cream if they have already had a chance to play before applying it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now