Listen to MNers talking about sleep, stress and energy on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(132 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Apr-13 10:39:39

We hope lots of you tuned in to the Boots Feel Good Forum about sleep, stress and energy, but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to improve sleep, cope with stress and feel more energised. MNers have been posting about this - please see their comments below.

The show features Sleep Expert Professor Colin Espie, Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny and Registered Nutritionist Sarah Bernard. Professor Espie and Sarah have also answered some MNers' Qs that they didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please have a read of those below.

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

littleboo21 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:58:54

Lack of sleep is part and parcel of family life but I get very grumpy and stressed when tired, is there anything you can recommend to ease my grumpiness/stress

Spirael Fri 12-Apr-13 20:00:07

I don't have any particular problems getting to sleep or staying asleep... But I have incredibly vivid, action packed dreams! My nights are spent taking on a different persona and battling foes, hunting for clues, fleeing from danger, high speed chases, dodging explosions, last minute rescues, etc.

I remember my dreams in perfect clarity. It all sounds great and very exciting, but I wake up in the morning more tired than before I went to bed-!

I don't watch much TV or films, I don't drink caffeine after noon, I avoid food after 8pm and I rarely drink alcohol. I try and find creative outlets whenever I get time through drawing/writing/crafting. None of that has helped... So what else can I try, in order to curb these dreams?!

ballstoit Fri 12-Apr-13 20:06:05

Is it true that you can train yourself to cope on less sleep? And if it is, how?

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Fri 12-Apr-13 20:26:40

I have heard people say great things about magnesium and zinc for energy levels. Is there any evidence to back this up and, if so, do they need to be taken at different times of day (one at night, one in the morning, can't remember which way round) or is a multivitamin just as good?

nearlyreadytopop Fri 12-Apr-13 20:29:43

I have been having a lot of emotional stress lately. I have started sitting up and talking/screaming in my sleep. As I child I used to sleep talk and walk. Is there anything I can do to prevent it getting to the sleep walking stage?

ThePskettiIncident Fri 12-Apr-13 20:33:19

I'm suffering really badly from tinnitus at the moment, due I think to tiredness and stress. Gp says there's no ear infection. Any ideas how to minimise or cope with it?

gazzalw Fri 12-Apr-13 20:35:56

We are an alarm clock-free household (hate clocks as my grandma had loads of them making too much noise when I was a child!) and DW really suffers with hyper-anxiety about over-sleeping with school runs to do and me to get off to work. Is there any way for her to train herself not to wake up hours in advance of designated getting up time (6.00 am)? All thro' term-time she is working on quite a marked sleep deficit because of this issue. Is there any solution other than relying on the hated alarm clock???

linkainka Fri 12-Apr-13 20:55:41

I always feel weak and tired during the early weeks of spring. It's the time when I want to feel energised and active because the weather improves.
Is there anything I can do/ take supplements to overcome this?

fuckwittery Fri 12-Apr-13 20:58:12

Any suggestions how to avoid reaching for carbs and sugar to get me through the last few hours of the day when I'm exhausted (also have middle of the night stress wakings)

MrsIgglePiggle Fri 12-Apr-13 20:59:02

Do bed bugs crawl up your nose while you sleep ?

fuckwittery Fri 12-Apr-13 20:59:06

Gazza why don't you just let your wife set an alarm hmm

montiefletcher Fri 12-Apr-13 21:05:22

I find that as I am becoming older the more times I have to got to the toilet during the night. Is this something that I have to just have to put up with or is there any suggestions anyone can help with. I have tried not drinking at least an hour before bed but it doesn't make any difference. Has my bladder met it's sell by date!!!!!!!!!!!

katiewalters Fri 12-Apr-13 21:18:30

what is the best way to wind down before sleep, as i always go to bed when i feel tired and then it takes me over an hour to fall asleep. i will have all the lights off, and then i end up reading as im fed up of lying a wake for ages

weenwee Fri 12-Apr-13 21:20:04

I find myself going to bed as soon as my spouse comes home, exhausted,and take 5 hour naps, wake up for an hour, and then go back to bed! I'm a full time mum, grad student, and am just stressed to death. I've also got awful pain in my back/kidney area. Should I be ridiculously concerned, or just concerned?

gazzalw Fri 12-Apr-13 21:27:49

Can't stand ticky clocks - sorry! ;-(. It's a childhood phobia caused by lots of excessively loud ones in my Grandma's house!

IceNoSlice Fri 12-Apr-13 21:37:09

Clocks don't have to be 'ticky', especially digital ones?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 12-Apr-13 21:57:40

gazza. We're living in 2013!

Alarms don't have to be ticky! Let your poor wife set an alarm and get some proper sleep.

CabbageLeaves Fri 12-Apr-13 22:05:01

It's simple Gazza. Get a digital clock. Let your wife get some sleep!

sharond101 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:10:14

I am a terrible worrier and as a result a very poor sleeper. HOw do I stop worrying all the time?

WildThongIYoniKnowForSure Fri 12-Apr-13 22:11:29

My question is about energy levels during the day. I mostly get 7ish hours sleep which should be enough, but around about 2 o'clock every day I seem to hit a wall. Honestly I could fall asleep at my desk it is so bad, even my speech seems to get slurred! I drink plenty of water and don't eat heavily during the day, is there anything else I could do to prevent this happening?

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 22:13:36

hello Boots advisors

during the week i aim for a low sugar diet and a small amount of carbs - surprisingly however i don't actually eat that much red meat

i am taking a B vitimin combination thing, to help with feeling fatiqued, i dont feel tired, i feel fatiqued - i hope someone knows what i mean. anyway - is this the best vitamin to take?

elizaco Fri 12-Apr-13 22:19:34

I work regular night shifts (2 per week). Have you any tips/advice for optimising my daytime sleep and health.

4lovelychildren Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:25

What are the recommended hours of sleep for children. My youngest children early risers and I worry that they are causing my older 2 to miss out in sleep.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Fri 12-Apr-13 22:54:40

gazzalw - hardly any clocks 'tick' anymore, and obviously digital ones don't. I can't stand ticking clocks either, and actually put a watch with a slight tick in the drawer at night. Personally I find a talk radio station fine to wake up to, but if you are really not keen on waking up to noise, try one of those light clocks. Mine was a Lumie, but sure there are others.

EffieTheDuck Fri 12-Apr-13 23:20:34

How long should you take Vit D supplements for when there is little sun and what is the dose for children especially in north of Scotland? Dose for babies, toddlers, school children and teenagers?

Are forgetfulness, hairloss, chest pains and numbness symptoms of stress?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now