Listen to MNers talking about sleep, stress and energy on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(132 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Apr-13 10:39:39

We hope lots of you tuned in to the Boots Feel Good Forum about sleep, stress and energy, but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to improve sleep, cope with stress and feel more energised. MNers have been posting about this - please see their comments below.

The show features Sleep Expert Professor Colin Espie, Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny and Registered Nutritionist Sarah Bernard. Professor Espie and Sarah have also answered some MNers' Qs that they didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please have a read of those below.

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

HotCrossPun Fri 12-Apr-13 16:09:26

It's well worth posting a question. I got some really valuable advice when I did smile

Why are some people habitually stressed and others are not? I rarely feel any stress (and never experience high stress levels), despite some "interesting times" in my life, but some of my friends worry over the littlest issues.
Is there a genetic/upbringing link, or are individuals differently affected by the same situations for other reasons?

JS06 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:25:33

I often find myself wide awake in the early hours despite keeping window open, being tired, not needing to go to the loo. I just find my mind buzzing with what's gone on and what is to come the next day. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm anxious, just seriously awake. Should I try and persevere with sleep or is it ok to get up and do something to occupy my mind?

Sparklymommy Fri 12-Apr-13 17:37:03

Why do I always wake up with a headache? I have a glass of water by the bed, and sip it through the night. But I always have a headache first thing in the morning. I don't drink coffee, smoke or take anything.

bluebump Fri 12-Apr-13 17:38:19

Ditto the question above actually about being awake in the early hours. I could have written that exact post myself!

tripecity Fri 12-Apr-13 17:41:28

I can only sleep through till 6am if I have taken an over the counter sleep aid (like Nytol). I do that for about 5 nights then have a couple of nights off just because I think I should. Is this doing me permanent damage? I am not sure what to do, I have been to the doctor and he prescibed me some sleeping pills for 7 nights - these didnt work, so I am limping along feeling exhausted and I dont know what to do - any advice?

JessicaDuncanson Fri 12-Apr-13 17:45:12

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and sometimes during the day I get really, really tired. I've been drinking coke and the caffeine seems to really help the energy levels. Is there anything that doesn't contain caffeine (and/or is a healthier option) that would do a similar job?

Uzma01 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:49:03

With the extended winter we've had this year - it just seems like we've been ill constantly. As a result I've just been totally lacking in energy - too many aches and pains. Is there anything I could do to top up my immune system that is proven to work? I eat fairly healthily, with a varied diet though I don't eat red meat.

Ramblings Fri 12-Apr-13 17:52:42

I regularly suffer from restless nights, I'm not really stressed but find it hard to wind down and switch off at night. Any suggestions?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 12-Apr-13 17:54:02

I have hypothyroidism and take levothxroxine (125mcg od). My T4 and TSH are within normal range, but I continually feel lethargic and lack lustre.

Any ideas how to perk myself up?!

DinoSnores Fri 12-Apr-13 17:56:15

I've got an 8 week old baby. Everyone tells me that I should nap when the baby naps, but I've never been able to sleep much during the day. Any tips?

EmberRainbow Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:48

I find i'm tired enough to go to bed between 9 and 10pm but then often lie awake until after midnight with, like JS06 said, a mind buzzing away.

I have tried to limit and even cut out caffine in the afternoon/evenings and i often have a relaxing bath/shower or read before bed and although i do feel both physically and metally tired, once im in bed i can't sleep.

I often feel tired when i wake and struggle to get up out of bed on a morning. although i find it easier to get up with lighter mornings.

what might be the reason for this, and are there any tips for dealing with it?

Roseformeplease England Fri 12-Apr-13 18:11:53

The only way I can sleep through is by taking anti histamines. Is this OK.

Glitterfairys Fri 12-Apr-13 18:15:48

I always seem to wake up at 4am and then I struggle to get back to sleep. I have a 16 week old baby and the lack of sleep is really starting to show and I never seem to have any energy. Any suggestions?

goldenretriever Fri 12-Apr-13 18:25:56

I always spray a few drops of sleep pillow from Boots every night which helps to relax me before sleep.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 12-Apr-13 18:32:41

I have a baby and a toddler, never get a good night's sleep and feel generally exhausted. When I work up the energy to go for a run in the evening I feel great but even more tired the next day. Am I doing more harm than good?

IceNoSlice Fri 12-Apr-13 18:38:16

I have no problem falling asleep when I go to bed but find it difficult to get back to sleep when I wake in the night. With a baby still having a night feed this happens pretty regularly. All the tips I've seen are around bedtime (warm bath, lavender, hot milky drink etc). Any tips for getting back to sleep at 4am? Without waking DH? Thanks

insanityscratching Fri 12-Apr-13 18:57:19

I am a longterm insomniac, for more than twenty five years anyway, I occasionally resort to Nytol and once or twice a year the GP prescribes me a week to ten days worth of sleeping tablets but even then these only help me drop off they don't keep me asleep.What else can I do?

Doogle2 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:09:36

I am often very tired early evening but when its time to go to bed I have 'woken up'. Any tips on how to change this pattern?

CabbageLeaves Fri 12-Apr-13 19:11:36

Are there any supplements you can take which have been researched an are proven to help with stress

CMOTDibbler Fri 12-Apr-13 19:13:21

I suffer from a chronic pain condition, and though I'm taking a nerve pain medication, my sleep is very disturbed and I am always tired. Apart from more drugs, is there anything I can do to feel like I've had the worth out of 10 hours in bed

LittleLaroo Fri 12-Apr-13 19:39:18

I'm often really hungry about an hour before I go to bed and often have a late night snack (usually bread or cereal) but I still wake up loads during the night. Does what and when I eat affect my ability to sleep?

Both my kids wake in the night so I have very little sleep and the sleep I do get os broken - can this have a long-term health impact?

malachite Fri 12-Apr-13 19:45:11

I am up a lot in the night with my two children and also suffer from insomnia. I can't take sleeping tablets as I need to be able to look after the kids. Is there anything I can do to help me get to sleep when I have the chance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now