Listen to MNers talking about make up and confidence on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(191 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:09:04

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to give your beauty a boost as well as how to look and feel your best. MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts make up artist Daniel Sandler and Psychologist Emma Kenny. Daniel has also answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down and have a read of those (and while you're there, why not check out Trevor Sorbie's As to MNers' Qs about hair, slightly further down the thread!)

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

The next show is about sleep, stress and energy, with sleep expert Dr Colin Espie and Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny - if you have a Q about any of those things, please do post it here - prize to be won!

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

Clawdy Wed 27-Mar-13 13:47:41

Any tips for what to do about uneven skin-tone and tiny thread veins,apart from covering with make-up?

Mouseface Wed 27-Mar-13 17:39:21

Hello, I have a question on hair colouring.

I'm 38 and have 90% grey hair, which is cut very short. I use a fairly cheap permanent home hair colour (Schwarzkopf Poly Colour Tint Hair Colourant in Red Black) as I can't find a very dark, deep brown/red that I like, that also gives a great shine, fantastic grey coverage and actually lasts.

My worry is that at some point, I will want to start to go lighter. And I'm guessing that means growing out the colour so being badger like for a while grin or stripping the colour out?

I've heard that this isn't great for hair because of the chemicals involved, so would I be better to bite the bullet and embrace my inner badger for a while? Or is there a product you could recommend?

Thank you in advance smile

morethanpotatoprints Wed 27-Mar-13 20:44:24

I am a young post menopausal woman with thick curly hair.
Whatever I try oils, creams, serums my hair remains dry and frizzy. I have also used all kinds of conditioners.
Can you please recommend some good products please. That won't be too heavy or leave a sticky residue.
many thanks
I'm desperate.

sharond101 Wed 27-Mar-13 22:36:03

Iam Mum to an 8mo who I have been sterlilsing bottles and breast pump equipment for since birth, my hands are so dry and cracked with the sterilising fluid. No amount of hand cream helps and some bits of my skin is splitting open and bleeding. Can you help?

CheeryChickChickChickChicken Wed 27-Mar-13 22:41:06

How can my 16 year old son prevent black heads on his nose? And what's the best way to get rid of them? Thanks!

MTBMummy Thu 28-Mar-13 08:56:28

I developed a white/silver streak in my hair in my early 20's it's a perfect circle about the size of a 5p piece, hair dye won't touch it, and it sits right where my natural hair parting is - is there anything that can be done to hide this?

I've been told not to remove the hairs as this will make more silver hair - is this true?

DorcasDelIcatessen Thu 28-Mar-13 23:26:10

For Trevor, I've been dyeing my hair black for a few years. I have very pale skin and blue eyes. i always liked the strong contrast. But now I'm 34 I feel it ages me. My natural hair colour is light brown with silver threads now. How can i make my hair look less terrible while I grow the colour out? I want to do it this time. I keep getting annoyed, giving up and dyeing it again. I can't really afford to get much done at a salon so was hoping for a few tips to try at home. I last dyed it in october. My hair is just below my shoulder blades. Hope you can help. grin

olimarshall Fri 29-Mar-13 09:59:36

I have a rather lots of hair above my upper lip which I've been trying to remove with wax strips. Is not only that the hair got thicker over the years but it also starter to grow faster than usual. Help please!

Chiggers Fri 29-Mar-13 11:48:28

For Dr Bunting.

I'm 35 and have had acne and rosacea and large pores since I was 12. I've tried Isotretinoin, Rozex gel and nothing is happening. I've been using the isotretinoin for almost 18 months now and nothing has changed apart from my skin being really dry. The acne is still going strong as is the rosacea. I've also tried EPO, Omega 3, 6 and 9 suppliments and nothing seems to work. It has got to the point where I don't want to go out anymore.

BigFairy Fri 29-Mar-13 22:22:44

I have suffered from psoriasis since I was 15 years old. I have it constantly on my scalp and ears; sometimes other small patches come and go. Over the years I have tried various prescriptions without success (e.g. Betnovate, Alphosyl, Cocois) and I have also had no success with prescription shampoos or T-Gel. The best thing I find is to use SLS free shampoo as that makes it a bit less itchy. I tried cutting gluten out of my diet and found that helped a lot, though certainly hasn't cleared it. Do you have any advice re:diet/food intolerances as an approach to treating it? Thank you for any ideas you may have!

BadMissM Sun 31-Mar-13 13:46:48

Are there any hair or beauty products, or particular ingredients in those, that pregnant Mumsnetters should avoid, and why?

What are their top tips for hair and beauty for pregnant Mumsnetters?

EllenParsons Sun 31-Mar-13 23:10:34

I would like to know any tips to make my skin look fresher and more radiant as I am having a lot of early mornings at the moment and it can make my skin look a bit dull and tired.

majjsu Mon 01-Apr-13 20:31:35

I am actually having a lump from my bottom lip removed and been advised will be left with a small scar on my lip line. Not sure what make up i should use to cover it up or perhaps just don't hide it?

Fast Tue 02-Apr-13 10:15:08

Mr Sorbie - I have very fine/ thin hair that has been cut in a bob for what seems like decades now. I can't grow it any longer because it would look straggly but having been blessed with a fuller face don't feel I can go too short either. What can I do to liven up my style please?

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 02-Apr-13 20:33:10

MNHQ, where are the answers on the thread?!

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Apr-13 09:50:43

GreatGoogly - sorry - they're coming very soon - please bear with!

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Apr-13 12:30:35

Thanks to everyone who posted a question about hair on this thread - expert Trevor Sorbie has answered some of the questions he didn't have time to cover in the show - please do have a read of his answers below...

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:31:31

ShatnersBassoon

Is there a shampoo/treatment that helps control a greasy scalp? I have to wash my hair every day because the roots get greasy and it makes my fine hair look grubby and lank. I have tried many times to wash my hair less often as I've read washing too often can stimulate the oils in the scalp making the problem worse, but I've never managed to reduce the oil production.

So I'm looking for a shampoo/something to apply to the roots that will allow me to go longer between shampoos. Dry shampoo is OK, but I don't like the feel or dusty look it gives, and really I'm looking for a cure rather than a cover-up. Thank you!

This problem, where the scalp produces too much oil, could be caused by an overactive sebaceous gland, however this would need to be diagnosed by a Tricologist. To try and combat this problem at home you could try washing your hair in lukewarm water, as hot water stimulates the glands to produce oil. You should also try to avoid touching your hair between washes, as running your hands through it, or tucking hair behind your ears, can also perpetuate greasy hair.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:32:01

starlight36

I've got into the lazy habit of using dry shampoo between shampoos to help freshen my hair. This solves the oily roots problem but does leave my hair feeling very dry. Does medium-term use of dry shampoos cause any lasting damage?

This will not cause any long-term damage, as long as you are fully washing the product out of your hair when you use Shampoo.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:33:06

aristocat

My problem is that I use a permanent colour on my hair regularly because I am not ready to be grey yet, and I swim 4 times a week.

Since I have taken up swimming my colour does not last as long. I do not want a salon colour as I have been doing it myself for years. How can I make it last longer? What else can I do to keep my hair healthy (without putting a cap on!)

Thank you smile

If you really can't face wearing a swimming cap, then I'd recommend spraying your hair thoroughly with leave-in conditioner before you head into the pool. This will help keep it protected from the damaging effects of the chlorine. After swimming make sure you immediately rinse all of the chlorine out of your hair, and use a nourishing conditioner. Chlorine is harsh to hair, so will always reduce the life of your colour, however hopefully trying the tips above will help it look vibrant for as long as possible.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:33:49

dilanddan

4 months after having my little girl, my hair went very dull so my hairdresser decided that I would feel better going from dark brown to blonde (which I agreed) and proceeded to bleach the whole lot. Now, every time I wash my hair, it feels rubbery. When I run my fingers through it it literally feels like I'm running my finger through damp elastic bands. I can't dry it with a hairdryer as I can be sat there for ages and it takes forever to dry and, due to the texture, it goes all clumpy and is impossible to brush as it's painful! So I have to let it dry naturally, brushing it every 10 mins in the hope it won't clump together. I've tried putting blonde dyes over the top, thinking that maybe it was the bleaching that's left my hair in a stripped and brittle state, but that doesn't help.
It's totally upset me and I can't even straighten or style my hair any more for fear it will all fall out, so I've spent the last 4 months having to scrape it back and tie it up which makes me look older.
Is there anything that I can do to reverse what's happened??
Many thanks

This rubbery feeling has been caused by your hair being over-processed with colour. Unfortunately there is no way to completely reverse this damage – I would recommend using intensive conditioning treatments once a week (try to alternate between treatments containing moisture and protein) to prevent it from getting worse, and keep having regular cuts to remove the damaged hair. I would definitely avoid any further colour until this damaged hair has grown out, and continue to limit your use of heated hair appliances.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:34:42

SaltaKatten

My daughter has very long thick hair. It gets very frizzy and tangled after washing. What shampoo and conditioner would you recommend?

I think this problem isn't caused by the shampoo and conditioner that you are currently using - I would recommend you purchase a detangling comb, and use this to comb through the conditioner before rinsing it out. And then once hair is towel-dried, spray the hair with leave-in conditioner before using the detangling comb again. Together, this should reduce the tangles, and the leave-in conditioner will continue to moisturize the hair, reducing frizz.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:35:17

DebbieBirchall

How can i stop my hair from going static during the cold weather?

The best way is to use a lightweight hairspray as a finishing product. By lightly misting the hair all over it should help to control the static - another tip would be to spray some onto your palms, and then run them down the hair from your parting.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:35:50

timidviper

My fair is very fine and soft. It looks lovely when just styled but, if I wash it more than twice a week, it goes fluffy and products I've tried to stop that seem to just weigh it down. I have had the same problem with volumising products, they need using more than 2x a week but they make it sticky and weighed down, so I wash it more often and it goes fluffy. AAAAARRRGGH!

I have it professionally coloured and cut at a good Aveda salon every 6 weeks so know that is done as well as it can be, it's just the inbetween stuff that drives me mad.

I think the best product for you to use to combat this would be a lightweight serum. This should provide the right amount of hydration to your hair to stop it looking fluffy, without weighing it down. The key is to make sure you don't overload the hair with serum, so only add a tiny amount at a time, until you find the balance which is perfect for you.

TrevorSorbie Wed 03-Apr-13 12:36:43

Peachy

My hair is awful. it's the thick type that has irregular waves and seems to form a triangle onto my shoulders. I let the last hairdresser cut it right off but it didn't suit me and has developed a horrid wave that kicks out at my ears, above my glasses, and adds a good decade or more to my 39 years. I used to wear it in asymetric bob that looked goood (jaw length) but I am a good 4" growth away from that now and all the layers are too short to do much with sad

I am starting voluntary work soon as a move towwards getting abck to work after time as a Carer so ANY ideas on how to look vaguely presentable would be appreciated! It's a reddish brown colour and my face is small and round.

Thank you.

This sounds as though your hair hasn't been cut in a way that works with its natural shape. Although I'm sure this is not the answer you were hoping for, I think the only real solution is to wait for the layers to grow out. In the mean time I would suggest experimenting with different hair accessories to try out new styles that tame your hair. Once it has grown out a little, the best solution for the irregular waves you've described would be to invest in a Brazilian Blow Dry in a salon. This 3-month blow dry will smooth your hair, make it more manageable and control frizz. It can be an expensive service, but if you are able to treat yourself I think you will be happy with the results!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now