Listen to MNers talking about make up and confidence on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(191 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:09:04

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to give your beauty a boost as well as how to look and feel your best. MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts make up artist Daniel Sandler and Psychologist Emma Kenny. Daniel has also answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down and have a read of those (and while you're there, why not check out Trevor Sorbie's As to MNers' Qs about hair, slightly further down the thread!)

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

The next show is about sleep, stress and energy, with sleep expert Dr Colin Espie and Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny - if you have a Q about any of those things, please do post it here - prize to be won!

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

Willemdefoeismine Mon 25-Mar-13 17:00:16

I have a serious issue with frizzy hair (which in younger years was never an issue). After a bit of a period of neglect I have been having it cut regularly to shoulder length but even with a good hair cut it still looks a mess. As a mother of youngish children I just can't get to grips with spending ages styling it. Are there any other solutions? Also, is it age-related, I wonder?

serendipity1980 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:44:25

I have parts of my hair, usually closest to my scalp and at the back of my head which is a bit matted, no matter what I wash it with. The hairs are dry and cling together and brushing these areas are not easy. What causes it? I don't use a lot of products, don't go swimming and don't colour my hair so I'm stumped. Could it be our hard water?
Also, is it ok to keep using dry shampoo between washes? (The clumping happened before I started using it)
How do I get curls to hold?
Many thanks!

SunshinePanda Mon 25-Mar-13 18:58:52

Hi Trevor, for some reason I seem to end up with various styling and conditioning products - Moroccan oil (which I love), straightening cream, heat protector, finishing sprays etc. which products do I actually need for my thick hair, which is dried and then straightened. Is there something a bit more multi-purpose out there?

cherrylolly Mon 25-Mar-13 19:01:43

I have fine hair which seems to be permanently full of static. Have tried anti'static sprays etc but nothing seems to work, it's driving me mad.

Hopezibah Mon 25-Mar-13 19:37:33

my face always seems to have greasy patches even when i use products that claim to reduce this or when i try to cover up with foundation and / or face powder. Can anything be done to help?

Sparklesandglitter Mon 25-Mar-13 19:38:28

My hair is highlighted and lightened can I use shampoo that contains peroxide (John freida go blonder I think) or will it damage my colour?thanks

ByTheWay1 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:53:02

In the cold weather, my hands get really red and dry and sore on the back edge (from little finger to wrist) - what skin care would you recommend? I've tried lots of handcreams - but when they are red and dry, the cream seems to give a burning sensation - haven't found one that doesn't - except vaseline - which is too heavy..

lottytheladybird Mon 25-Mar-13 19:53:15

A question for Dr. Bunting:

If I want to keep my complexion clear, which foods/drinks should I avoid?

LittlePurpleCircle Mon 25-Mar-13 20:08:34

What causes grey shadows around the eyes? Can it be reversed? Same questions for tiny thread veins on the face??

GetKnitted Mon 25-Mar-13 21:16:06

trevor! I've got curly hair that hates silicone any tips to stop it frizzing!?

majjsu Mon 25-Mar-13 21:22:39

I have fine medium length flyaway hair. I find some serums can make my hair lank or feel sticky. What products would best suit me please?

twinklytoes Mon 25-Mar-13 21:28:44

I developed rosea in my second pregnancy...I've been red faced for 7.5yrs now and I generally don't like it. I went for a consultation with the red cross camoflage service and got some pretty heavy makeup ... but I've never found a skin regime that helps, feel like I've been through every brand on the high street. I only use the red cross make up when I'm going out as it takes too long for every day, but I'd like an every day option that doesn't take the time...Help!?

lalalonglegs Mon 25-Mar-13 21:38:21

I have very thick brown hair which I have had cut into quite a short crop. It needs a bit of wax to make it look good but I struggle with putting wax in - it ever seems even or gets that slightly textured look and if I put too much in, my hair looks really greasy by the next day. If I don't put enough in, it looks flat and boring. Help me, Trevor.

Pinkbatrobi Tue 26-Mar-13 00:06:42

My 13yr-old DD was diagnosed with Keratosis Piliaris when she was just a few weeks old. The dermatologist told us then that it would not bother her and would probably get better during/after puberty, so no action needed. She's never seemed bothered by it until now, when she seems very embarrassed by the rough appearance of her skin, especially on her cheeks and arms. Doctor recommended a cream that is meant for acne and which is making her skin very flaky, dry, and also a bit redder than usual... What can be done about it? She is wearing Clarins foundation almost everyday to try and hide it, but not successfully and i fear make up might worsen the ondifion...she seems quite fed up with this... Other than going back to GP for further update, what can we do? Thanks!!

I often get patches of extremely dry, flaky and red skin on my upper arms around the size of a two pence coin. No cream I put on them, including the cream I was prescribed for my eczema seems to shift them. This is the only place I get them, my eczema is normally to be found on my chest and upper stomach area and my doctor isn't convinced the two are connected. What could be causing these patches and how do I get rid of them/lessen the appearance of them?

MaryBS Brazil Tue 26-Mar-13 08:54:17

I have psoriasis in my hair, and I find it hard to get rid of, any advice please? I've tried all sorts of treatments over the years, the topical ones are OK until you stop using them. What shampoo would you recommend? I've tried coal tar ones without success.

butterandbread157 Tue 26-Mar-13 09:44:19

My hair question-
After bf my second child, I experienced a lot of hair loss and the texture of a section of my remaining hair became like a burnt perm i.e. frizzy and very coarse. My daughter will be 2 shortly and the section of my hair is still this way?
I have tried repair shampoo's and conditioners, leave in conditioners but to no avail!! sad
Please help!!!

Blatherskite Tue 26-Mar-13 10:34:54

My only-just-3 year old has the most gorgeous soft, blonde ringlets in her hair - but her hair is so fine and light, it gets knotty so easily and often looks very fuzzy. What can I do to keep them untangled and defined without costing her head in products?

We used to use just Johnson's Baby spray in conditioner but it doesn't seem to help over the winter.

FrantasticO Tue 26-Mar-13 12:47:50

Would love some tips on wearing naturally frizzy hair without a million products.
Also what to do with dry highlighted hair that is not v expensive or too time consuming?
Thanks.

florencebabyjo Tue 26-Mar-13 13:12:58

I find that to help make my frizzy hair smooth, I wash twice, condition all over and rinse well. My hair is thick and frizzy, and I rinse it with a jugful of chamomile tea that I have made earlier and cooled!(Do not pour hot tea over your head!) This makes a lovely rinse and clears any left over product from your hair leaving it smelling lovely and looking smooth and beautiful. It's good for your skin too as a tonic!

daimbardiva Tue 26-Mar-13 14:50:52

My eyelids have recently started going red and dry, and sometimes itchy. I rarely wear make-up, and haven't changed my skincare routine. Why is this suddenly happening and can I do anything about it?

I also have the same problem as several others above - medium thick, naturally wavy hair which tends to frizz and looks rubbish unless straightened. I'd love to not be so dependant on my straighteners, and to give my hair a break, and wear it naturally wavy. What product would you recommend to keep the frizz at bay and help my hair look naturally groomed?

I have recently had a cyst removed from my jaw line. What can you recommend to help it to fade and/or hide it?

IncogKNEEto Tue 26-Mar-13 17:58:12

As I have now reached 40 (!) I have decided that I really ought to start to take better care of my skin. I wash my face with plain water and/or an apricot scrub, then moisturise with Nivea (rarely) blush

Please can you advise on how I should take care of my skin best? Do I need to cleanse/tone/moisturise? There are so many products available, I don't know where to start! Thank you.

Mr Sorbie- can you give us a rundown on an easy blowdry technique to smooth hair? How hot should we go, what kind of brush etc?

Donniee Wed 27-Mar-13 08:59:17

I find I need to wash my hair daily for it to sit properly in the morning but a trick i learned wash just to wash the front of my hair in the morning to save time and still get it to sit nice in a ponytail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now