Listen to MNers talking about make up and confidence on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(191 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:09:04

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to give your beauty a boost as well as how to look and feel your best. MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts make up artist Daniel Sandler and Psychologist Emma Kenny. Daniel has also answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down and have a read of those (and while you're there, why not check out Trevor Sorbie's As to MNers' Qs about hair, slightly further down the thread!)

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

The next show is about sleep, stress and energy, with sleep expert Dr Colin Espie and Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny - if you have a Q about any of those things, please do post it here - prize to be won!

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

stacey212528 Thu 04-Apr-13 16:00:25

I have always used Bobbi Brown make up, but since falling my pregnant my foundation looks AWFUL on my skin, orange and patchy. Is there anyway to fix this, or should I put away the expensive foundation and opt for a cheaper option throughout pregnancy? Don't want to waste my good stuff for it to look awful.

Mrsfluff Thu 04-Apr-13 18:52:54

Make-up question; I have blue eyes and am never really sure what colour eyeshadow to wear. Nothing too sparkly or bold as it is for work/day wear. At 36 you'd think i'd have worked it out by now, but i haven't, so any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

sarat1 Thu 04-Apr-13 19:13:55

I've got it into my head that I should be changing between different brands of shampoo and conditioner every wash. Does it benefit my hair by preventing product build up or am I just wasting my time?

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 04-Apr-13 19:50:08

What can I do to hide Rosacea, or better still cure it?

Jcee Thu 04-Apr-13 21:54:54

After DD I found it difficult to make time for me and lost my way a bit beauty wise. I'm trying to get back on track and taking the opportunity to start my make up bag from scratch.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to make up with distinct lazy tendencies and like a bit of sparkle for evenings out. I dont have a huge budget so cant afford to make any costly mistakes - what are the key things I should I buy?

And one for Emma - what should my new beauty mantra be?

zipzap Thu 04-Apr-13 23:41:11

With regards to make up techniques - how do you do smoky colours on your eyes - for daytime and evening? Whenever I try, I just end up looking like I've got black eyes or panda eyes and it never looks any good.

lindsey3uk Fri 05-Apr-13 00:42:07

Since having three children my skin has turned a funny colour. The darkness around my eyes really bothers me. My eyelids are greyish yellow And it makes me look ill. Any advice?

cather Fri 05-Apr-13 14:21:53

I have just turned 40 and I have been invited to a weekend away with some work colleagues, whilst I can get away with my normal day time make up I know they will be getting dressed up in the evening and as I am so out of practice with evening make up I will need to update my make up bag quickly! I normally wear tinted moisturiser, mascara and lipstick and wondered what products I should be buying to give me a couple of easy to achieve evening looks.

marmaladesandwich Fri 05-Apr-13 18:19:18

Hi,

I have very dry and sensitive pale skin with freckles (I know, I'm a real catch!) and don't usually wear foundation but as I'm getting older I find my skin is getting more uneven and I want to start using a base. At the moment I just use concealer. What foundation would you suggest to give a light base that doesn't make my skin even drier and/or make me look like a clown?

littlepinkfizz Fri 05-Apr-13 18:58:14

I'm in my early forties but have combination skin. I don't get spots but my make up seems to slide and shine on my nose and forehead no matter if I use primer or set my make up with powder.

Any tips?

klm1702 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:37:23

I'm 39 and colour my hair regularly as I'm very grey. I have a 9 month old son and since his birth my hair is very dry and frizzy, but my main concern is all along the front and top there is bad breakage (my hair was all one length now it looks like I have an uneven fringe) it sticks up all along the top of my head and basically looks terrible. I don't use much products just a smoothing serum after straightening and only use straighteners twice a week. Is there anything I can do to prevent further breakage and repair my hair?

FoxPass Fri 05-Apr-13 22:01:12

Are collagen liquid supplements worth taking? They are so expensive so asking first smile

Loulamummy Mon 08-Apr-13 14:36:08

I suggest, not washing your face for a few days before a big night out, then exfoliating early that evening. The shock to your skin (and mind) makes you glow inwardly and outwardlysmile

DifferentNow Mon 08-Apr-13 20:15:20

I wear makeup less often these days but I don't have great skin tone so I feel quite self-concious without it. I don't have blemishes but my skin is quite blotchy. I use a facial exfoliater daily. Is the exfoliater the reason my skin remains blotchy and what can I do to encourage a better skin tone?

balroymum Mon 08-Apr-13 22:11:44

My top tip for glowing skin: use a rich, creme cleanser every morning then use ice cold water on cotton wool pads to rinse away. Skin feels nourished and 'awake'!

bearcub1 Tue 09-Apr-13 09:51:02

Heat metal eyelash curlers with a hair dryer for 10 seconds or so before curling lashes. Check the curler is not too hot though!

BellaVida Tue 09-Apr-13 14:48:57

A few cheap and easy tips I use regularly:-

Use Q-tips/ cotton buds to clean up any make up mishaps, or as a cheap disposable make up applicator at home or when travelling.

If, like me, you suffer from dry chapped lips, use a clean toothbrush to gently exfoliate and lift dead skin before applying balm or a moisturising lipstick.

Save up all of the magazine or shop free samples of shampoos, conditioners, moisturizer, perfume, etc and use them in your handbag or when travelling.

katiewalters Tue 09-Apr-13 15:44:13

mascara can easily dry out if you dont use it properly. You must not pump the mascara wand vigorously while using it. Pumping will cause air to enter into the tube which is not good for your mascara. To take out the mascara solution simply tilt the brush on one side and the brush will be coated with the solution.In case you notice your mascara is becoming thick, just add a drop of water into the bottle and shake it well before use. This way your mascara will last longer.

The boots no7 bb cream is good, better than I expected.

I'd quite like a guide to the mid price ranges- eucerin and la riche posay- I'm told they are good but I don't know where to start, and they are too dear to make a mistake!

Do boots do a henna dye?

Kittycatcat Tue 09-Apr-13 15:51:37

Best eyeshadow primer ever. Art deco eyeshadow base is absolutely fantastic. It holds me eyeshadow in place for literally days says busy mummy of 2 under 2!

prettybird Tue 09-Apr-13 15:59:51

I've recently started "enhancing" my eyebrows as I've realised that now I'm into my 50s, they are getting a wee bit ill-defined.

My natural hair colour is a sort of reddy dark blond but is currently articially darker with red streaks . My eye brows had always been relatively dark compared to my hair colour - but less so now. I've found "filling" them slightly with a few strokes of a brown (well sharpened) eye pencil and then softening/fillng in further with a suprisingly light brown (almost beige) eye shadow gives the best effect.

It really helps frame and open up your eyes.

stickylittlefingers Tue 09-Apr-13 16:30:05

vaseline (or rather Boots cheaper version of it!) is brilliant for chapped lips, dry patches, smoothing down eye brows etc.

Cherrybright Tue 09-Apr-13 16:48:59

I have naturally curly hair, i use a small amount of garnier surf wax on it when wet and scrunch. Works a treat- it gives my hair volume and keeps the curls especially when dried naturally and laid down so the hair dries scrunched. ( who has time for that though haha )

Mouseface Tue 09-Apr-13 17:14:32

Tips smile

I find that if I put my moisturiser on a good ten minutes at the least before any foundation, it doesn't ball up and 'peel off' the skin.

Also, I have a DS who thinks sleep is for the weak and needy hmm so keep two teaspoons in the fridge to pop onto close eyes of a morning to help reduce the puffiness I get from lack of sleep. It really does work, which is especially useful for when someone is coming to see us first thing!! grin

Hummymummy Tue 09-Apr-13 17:57:36

Really dry hands or heels of your feet? Invest in some sexy cotton gloves or socks, slap on cream and go to bed. In the morning they are lovely and soft. And you haven't spent hours applying beauty treatments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now