Listen to MNers talking about make up and confidence on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(191 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:09:04

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to give your beauty a boost as well as how to look and feel your best. MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts make up artist Daniel Sandler and Psychologist Emma Kenny. Daniel has also answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down and have a read of those (and while you're there, why not check out Trevor Sorbie's As to MNers' Qs about hair, slightly further down the thread!)

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

The next show is about sleep, stress and energy, with sleep expert Dr Colin Espie and Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny - if you have a Q about any of those things, please do post it here - prize to be won!

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 23-Mar-13 19:42:43

I've definitely got some hair questions, please...

*when washing my hair at home, I'm really diligent about shampooing twice, only using conditioner on ends and then rinsing well. But no matter what, the underneath of my hair always feels slightly sticky and heavy - like there's product in it. I've tried all sorts of shampoos & conditioners - what else can I try and could it be to do with the water as I never had this issue before we moved areas?

- also, I have been trying to lighten my hair. I've been getting highlights (half head at first now just t section) for about a year. But the underneath is still quite dark. My hairdresser has suggested having a full head next time but won't that cost a fortune to maintain? And will my hair start to break if I do that?

Thanks

Happiestinwellybobs Mon 25-Mar-13 08:58:04

In my mid thirties, I seem to be getting more spots than ever - I cleanse, moisturise, use an exfoliating scrub once a week, but get big spots on my cheeks and blackheads on my nose. My skin type can be anything from dry to greasy and is dull. What routine should I be following to prevent this?

GreatGooglyMoogly Mon 25-Mar-13 09:39:00

I have wavy hair with dry/ frizzy tendencies. I would love to be able to wear it in its naturally wavy state and have it look good. I've tried washing it with conditioner/ coconut oil only but it ends up stuck together and greasy. Back in the 90s I had oil-treatments at the hairdresser which were amazing but they don't do them any more and they don't seem to work for me at home. Do you have any advice?

CMOTDibbler Mon 25-Mar-13 11:54:09

One for Trevor - I'm 40, and having gone grey really early I decided to go grey. Which I love - I'm white at the front, silver grey round the sides, but have a stubborn patch of 50% grey at the back which looks brown against the rest.
Without going down the route of having platinum highlights in this patch, is there anything I can do to lighten it?

What can really be done about thinning hair? I've had alopaecia in the past thankfully gone now. But I have noticed my hair is getting thinner at the front, so I think it might just be age/hormones playing a part.

Like moogly I have hair that is somewhere between wavy and curly, and it goes frizzy if I don't use curling tongs. I normally have it tied back because it is so hard to manage. What ingredients should I be looking for to manage frizzy hair without making it greasy.

WildThongsEggHunt Mon 25-Mar-13 12:30:28

I am fast heading into my late forties, I'd like to take a vitamin/ mineral supplement to support healthy skin and hair. Is there a 'catch all' tablet that you would recommend?

CocktailQueen Mon 25-Mar-13 12:36:23

My scalp is really itchy and sore, no matter what shampoo I use. What could be causing it, and is there a product I can use to help it?

Piggychunk Mon 25-Mar-13 12:36:54

I'm 32 and I am strugglying to find an eye creme for my fine lines around my eyes.. I've never found one yet that I am happy with. Even some of the £££ seem to make little difference

weenwee Mon 25-Mar-13 12:37:51

I don't want to sandblast my face, but my skin always feels - heavy. Especially weird as I don't use heavy mousturizer. Is there a deep cleaning product you'd recommend?

Hi, my skin and scalp are very dry, but I am prone to greasy hair what products would you recommend?

hytheliz Mon 25-Mar-13 12:39:17

I have very thick, coarse hair and no matter what I do, the ends always look dead, even after straightening. What product should I be using to get glossy, shiny, healthy looking hair?

youmaycallmeSSP Mon 25-Mar-13 12:39:49

I'm experiencing post-pregnancy hair loss. This is my second child and it's significantly worse this time. I've been losing clumps of hair for over two months now. Please can you:

1) Reassure me that I won't go bald!
2) Recommend any product, massage, hair care routine etc. that will help stop this?

Thanks smile

stimlin Mon 25-Mar-13 12:42:53

I've always had thick har & a lot of it - during my pregnancy its been amazing but I've read that I should expect to loose some after having the baby. How much should I expect to loose & is there anything I can do ensure what I'm left with is as healthy as possible? Any way to encourage regrowth?
Many thanks

ShatnersBassoon Mon 25-Mar-13 12:42:54

Is there a shampoo/treatment that helps control a greasy scalp? I have to wash my hair every day because the roots get greasy and it makes my fine hair look grubby and lank. I have tried many times to wash my hair less often as I've read washing too often can stimulate the oils in the scalp making the problem worse, but I've never managed to reduce the oil production.

So I'm looking for a shampoo/something to apply to the roots that will allow me to go longer between shampoos. Dry shampoo is OK, but I don't like the feel or dusty look it gives, and really I'm looking for a cure rather than a cover-up. Thank you!

starlight36 Mon 25-Mar-13 12:44:30

I've got into the lazy habit of using dry shampoo between shampoos to help freshen my hair. This solves the oily roots problem but does leave my hair feeling very dry. Does medium-term use of dry shampoos cause any lasting damage?

aristocat Mon 25-Mar-13 12:54:25

My problem is that I use a permanent colour on my hair regularly because I am not ready to be grey yet, and I swim 4 times a week.

Since I have taken up swimming my colour does not last as long. I do not want a salon colour as I have been doing it myself for years. How can I make it last longer? What else can I do to keep my hair healthy (without putting a cap on!)

Thank you smile

goldenretriever Mon 25-Mar-13 12:55:12

I would be keen to know some low maintenance tips to add volume to hair

dilanddan Mon 25-Mar-13 12:55:59

4 months after having my little girl, my hair went very dull so my hairdresser decided that I would feel better going from dark brown to blonde (which I agreed) and proceeded to bleach the whole lot. Now, every time I wash my hair, it feels rubbery. When I run my fingers through it it literally feels like I'm running my finger through damp elastic bands. I can't dry it with a hairdryer as I can be sat there for ages and it takes forever to dry and, due to the texture, it goes all clumpy and is impossible to brush as it's painful! So I have to let it dry naturally, brushing it every 10 mins in the hope it won't clump together. I've tried putting blonde dyes over the top, thinking that maybe it was the bleaching that's left my hair in a stripped and brittle state, but that doesn't help.
It's totally upset me and I can't even straighten or style my hair any more for fear it will all fall out, so I've spent the last 4 months having to scrape it back and tie it up which makes me look older.
Is there anything that I can do to reverse what's happened??
Many thanks

EwanHoozami Mon 25-Mar-13 12:56:22

A question for Dr Bunting:

I'm 35 and have always had combination skin. The most bothersome problem is my open pores. Some look like I could store loose change in them.

The products from the branded ranges just seem to fill them in like polyfilla which turns them into zits. Is there anything I can do to shrink them?

SaltaKatten Mon 25-Mar-13 12:56:28

My daughter has very long thick hair. It gets very frizzy and tangled after washing. What shampoo and conditioner would you recommend?

Shaz04 Mon 25-Mar-13 12:56:46

I have a skin question, for years I have suffered from clogged pores around my nose and no matter how often I steam and cleanse they seem to clog up really quickly with dirt. I was told it was because they were quite large and there was nothing I could do to reduce the size of them, is this true? And if it is what tips do you have to keep them clear? Thanks smile

peronel Mon 25-Mar-13 12:58:19

Love Bare Minerals - easy to use, great coverage and much nicer than cream foundation. smile

DebbieBirchall Mon 25-Mar-13 12:59:18

How can i stop my hair from going static during the cold weather?

Newmumsuchfun Mon 25-Mar-13 13:00:05

I am a new mum to a 3 week old and have about 3 minutes to get ready in the morning now - so do you have any tips to make my make up / hair routine super sonically fast, preferably with one hand with other hand holding new baby strapped to breast!? At the moment I am using baby wipes to wash - Not great!
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now