Listen to MNers talking about make up and confidence on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(191 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:09:04

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to give your beauty a boost as well as how to look and feel your best. MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts make up artist Daniel Sandler and Psychologist Emma Kenny. Daniel has also answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down and have a read of those (and while you're there, why not check out Trevor Sorbie's As to MNers' Qs about hair, slightly further down the thread!)

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

The next show is about sleep, stress and energy, with sleep expert Dr Colin Espie and Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny - if you have a Q about any of those things, please do post it here - prize to be won!

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

dilanddan Wed 03-Apr-13 14:52:56

Thank you to Trevor for helping me with my hair dilemma, have taken your advice on board and shall be purchasing lots of treatments to try to make things better. Again, thank you for taking the time to offer your advice x

MrsNRay Wed 03-Apr-13 16:51:49

I love the Feel Good Forum! I reviewed the last programmes on my blog plutoniumsox.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/it-turns-out-sun-is-only-hiding-to-make.html I really enjoyed listening to the programmes on anti-ageing and hair and skincare. I have a question for Daniel Sandler... but it's a toughie!

I am really active and I'm often in a chlorinated swimming pool or, in the summer, in a lake / river / in the sea. I am also pretty busy what with working full time, baby duties and dog duties. Therefore when I occasionally (once every few months) manage to fit in an evening out with my husband, I usually have to get ready in about 10 minutes flat. As you can imagine, my hair is pretty much a lost cause due to all the swimming so what tips can Daniel Sandler give me on how to enhance my best features (my eyes) in about 2 minutes flat? Thanks!

My hands are sooooo dry and flaky, they bleed and crack. I wash my hands so often, with a toddler. I try loads of hand creams, but none seen to work, they sting and make my hands red.

Any suggestions? Please help I look like I've got old lady hands! grin

helcrai Wed 03-Apr-13 18:03:53

I have just turned 39 and have noticed that the skin on my face is becoming increasingly saggy and I have 'jowls' forming. Is it worth spending more on some good quality anti-ageing face creams or is it too late & the damage has been done?

reastie Wed 03-Apr-13 18:17:45

Make up question here. I have very sensitive skin which seems to be both dry and greasy hmm . I've never been able to wear any kind of eye shadow as within a few hours it has creased up on my eye lids and looks a state with it all gathering in the lines of my eyes. I've tried using a base underneath foundation and a powder on top to seal it and lots of different brands but to no avail. My eye lids are also quite low over my eyes too. Have you got any tips for how I can get eye make up to stay on all day with minimal touch ups (or am I just doomed to either not bother or spend my life checking in the mirror and touching up)?

Katryn Wed 03-Apr-13 18:18:17

How safe are the Brazilian blowdries? How toxic etc.

cutie101 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:22:13

Hi, I've just had my second child. While pregnant my skin changed so I changed my make up accordingly (thanks to a lovely girl in one of your boots stores). My skin had changed again, and gone quite dry, especially around my nose and my cheeks are patchy. I'm very fair (like a ghost) and suddenly what I spent lots of money on only a few months ago makes me look orange and dries out my skin more than ever, and doesn't give good coverage...any clues what I can do without spending a fortune as I'm on a tight budget and I tend to spend what I do have on my girls! Thanks

LAte 30s, and lately I have noticed that forehead gets very oily during the day, while the rest of my skin stays dry/normal. What can I do to sort out the oilyness?

And I have also noticed red thread lines around nose and cheeks and a few on chin. What can I do to disguise/get rid of these?

thanks.

katiewalters Wed 03-Apr-13 19:05:21

i am dark skinned and always tend to wear gold or beige eyeshadow. i fancy a change, what other colours would suit me?

messenger1 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:48:53

My eye lashes are really short and I just can't seem to find a way of making them look longer. Can you guys help? Also, my cheeks have suddenly gone very red, how can I minimise this?

GreatBags Wed 03-Apr-13 20:01:01

I would love some advice from Daniel about covering my awful rosacea skin. I use mineral make up at the moment but my skin is so dry in winter I look flaky and powdery. Are there any alternatives that won't aggregate my skin?

Bigspring Wed 03-Apr-13 20:10:21

Just about to turn 30 and need inspiration on updating my going out make up! Please help!

Babycarmen Wed 03-Apr-13 20:26:21

I have combination fair with freckles and find it really hard to find a foundation to match my skin and its confusing when there are so many types going around. Where do I start?? smile

sharond101 Wed 03-Apr-13 20:44:50

I cannot get my eyeliner to look sleek and it never staysin place, what am I doing wrong?

TwentiethCenturyGirl Wed 03-Apr-13 20:54:43

I'm in my early 30s and am finding that my skin is becoming increasingly dry.

Over the last few months, I've started to suffer from small patches of dry, flaking skin on my eyelids and under eye area. I apply eye cream regularly but nothing seems to be shifting it and I'm fed up of it making my eye make up look terrible. Any tips or recommendations to help get rid of it?

i'd like to know which is the best tinted moisturiser on the market - some seem really drying and cakey whilst others are like water - would like a happy balance.

Salmon8 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:44:11

Hi I have a skin/makeup question. I am 33 and would love some advice in how to make my skin appear more vibrant as it looks dull and also what makeup tips you have to make my eyes look more open/ bigger and brighter as they look smaller as I'm getting older. Thank you

MadameOvary Thu 04-Apr-13 00:10:21

Hello I am going to be 43 in a few days and need a product overhaul for my skin. I have large pores across my cheeks that foundation seems to disappear into even tho it's eye-wateringly £££ the skin there is also "thirsty" so has to be slathered in moisturiser before foundation can be applied.
I also have perma-shadows under my eyes and can't ever put foundation on my nose as it's too dry after washing but turns into an oil slick if I moisturise so you please recommend a good shine-control/mattifier type product. Oh, and I've resorted to hiding my forehead under a fringe as texture is always dry/flaky/uneven and attempts to apply coverage never improve it, only the opposite.
I sound lovely don't I hmm

Littlecherublegs Thu 04-Apr-13 09:44:47

Despite being 33 I still get the occassional 'teenage' spot.

Please can you tell me how to:
(a) prevent them
(b) hide them if they do make an unwanted appearance

Thanks!

Woofers Thu 04-Apr-13 12:30:09

I'm allergic to parabens. I would love to find a tinted moisturiser to wear for work instead of bare minerals foundation all the time.
Any suggestions?

I know eyebrows are supposed to frame my face, but mine seem to be getting more pathetic and straggly as I get older (and middling blond which makes it worse). How can I 'fill in' a nice brow shape without it looking like I've used my kids' colouring pencils to draw some eyebrows on my face?

NotAQueef Thu 04-Apr-13 13:57:39

I have more skin problems now than I ever had as a teenager. I get massive breakouts on my chin, and my pores are riddled with blackheads.
Are the treatments marketed for teen acne appropriate to use or is it likely that these breakouts have a different cause?

Autismmumma Thu 04-Apr-13 13:59:42

Hi, I really enjoyed the last two shows and posted a review http://bit.ly/10ycH24.
I've got a make-up query, I've always worn black eyeliner, not excessively as per Cleopatra, but it's kind of my safety net and I don't feel like I'm "me" without it, I'm very fair so eyes kind of disappear without make-up.
As I'm getting coughs older, should I go for a softer brown.
This is probably a question for Emma too, the safety net bit!
Thanks!

NotAQueef Thu 04-Apr-13 14:00:50

In addition to my breakouts, my skin is increasingly dry and sore on my face. This winter I have been battered by the wind and as such have peeling forhead attractive and I've noticed some broken/spider veins on my cheeks.
* How can I combat the dry/flakiness - buffing/exfoliating/moisturising doesn't seem to work, and I can't wear foundation over the top of the crusty face!
* How can I reduce the appearance/or get rid of the spider veins- or am I doomed to have these and lots more forever?

NotAQueef Thu 04-Apr-13 14:01:00

*forehead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now