Listen to MNers talking about make up and confidence on the Boots Feel Good Forum and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(191 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-13 11:09:04

We hope lots of you tuned in to the latest Boots Feel Good Forum but if you missed it, please listen to the podcast. The show discusses ways to give your beauty a boost as well as how to look and feel your best. MNers have been posting about this all week - please see their comments below.

The show features experts make up artist Daniel Sandler and Psychologist Emma Kenny. Daniel has also answered some MNers' Qs that he didn't have time to cover on the show on this thread so please scroll down and have a read of those (and while you're there, why not check out Trevor Sorbie's As to MNers' Qs about hair, slightly further down the thread!)

Please do listen to the podcast and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

As a thank you for taking part, Boots will be giving a £50 voucher to a poster picked at random from this thread.

The next show is about sleep, stress and energy, with sleep expert Dr Colin Espie and Behavioural Psychologist Emma Kenny - if you have a Q about any of those things, please do post it here - prize to be won!

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.
The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents.

rootypig Mon 25-Mar-13 13:03:16

Googly have you tried the newish hair oils by Kerastase and L'Oreal? also I found that Kerastase Oleo Relax serum worked really well on my thick/dry/wavy hair. you can use all of them on damp or dry hair (or both, as I do).

My skin care question is about ageing. Dr Bunting, at almost 30 (with dryish skin, fine lines, lots of laughter lines smile) what one thing should I be doing to keep my skin smooth?

thank you!

timidviper Mon 25-Mar-13 13:06:39

My fair is very fine and soft. It looks lovely when just styled but, if I wash it more than twice a week, it goes fluffy and products I've tried to stop that seem to just weigh it down. I have had the same problem with volumising products, they need using more than 2x a week but they make it sticky and weighed down, so I wash it more often and it goes fluffy. AAAAARRRGGH!

I have it professionally coloured and cut at a good Aveda salon every 6 weeks so know that is done as well as it can be, it's just the inbetween stuff that drives me mad.

Glitterfairys Mon 25-Mar-13 13:16:54

I have just had a baby 12 weeks ago and my hair seems to have completely changed texture . It used to be dead straight but now it's gone really frizzy and flyaway . Will it go back to how it used to be or am I stuck with frizzy hair forever ?

poopoopoo Mon 25-Mar-13 13:17:07

Hi Dr Sam Bunting, Please could you help! My husband suffers with psoriasis on his scalp and legs. He is using all the topical medication and has had light therapy; nothing keeps it away. Are there any new treatments available, he does not like the sound of chemo?

newfashionedmum Mon 25-Mar-13 13:18:49

I have quite a bit of grey in my hair, I'm proud to be a grown up and I wear my streaks with pride - but I would like them to look more shiny and smooth! Has Trevor got any hints?

Oddsod Mon 25-Mar-13 13:26:38

Hi question for Trevor first: hi, I am part Jamaica and have long curly hair which is prone to frizzing. Whilst pregnant my hair was lush, really thick and shiny but since having children it's a frizzy unmanageable mop. My hairdresser introduced me to Moroccan oil which made a difference for a while but now it seems as though the condition has actually worsened again. I like to keep it longer as it suits my body and face shape but it's starting to look like hag hair even though I have regular trims. I really don't know how to manage it anymore.

And for Sam: hi, my biggest problem is aging I guess! I have age spots or hyperpigmentation and wrinkles and really puffy eyelids all the time. I don't look healthy despite eating a healthy diet and taking nutritional supplements. The puffiness just makes me look tired all the time. What can I do? Thanks guys.

angelwhip Mon 25-Mar-13 13:32:59

Hi
I have a skin question
My nose and chin have little 'black spots' - open pores which are prone to blackheads. I cleans, tone and moisturise twice daily and exfoliate a couple of times a week and although don't suffer massively fron spots, these really annoy me! Any tips?
Thanks

firawla Mon 25-Mar-13 13:40:58

I would like to know the best tips for shrinking pores, ive always had quite noticeable pores on my nose and would prefer them smaller!

shanelle5 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:47:37

My 13 year old daughter has terrible scoriosis of the scalp and gets teased at school as she has big flakes in her hair which show up as its dark brown. Suggestions please!

My baby is now 6 months old and I'm still having lots of post-partum hair loss - is there anything I can do?

bluebump Mon 25-Mar-13 13:48:32

Do you think there will ever be PPD free hair dyes (permanent colour not semi-permanent colours) made to be sold in Boots/Superdrug etc? I have read so many stories about people having awful reactions to PPD in dyes and it makes me nervous when I have to dye mine. I know you can use henna etc but i'd happily pay more for a less messy alternative.

Ramblings Mon 25-Mar-13 13:53:50

I take antibiotics for my acne and use a skin clearing toner but it's starting to dry out my skin, any suggestions on something that will help keep the acne at bay but won't take all moisture out of my skin

mummyofcutetwo Mon 25-Mar-13 13:55:40

DS2 is just one year old and I'm still have problems with post pregnancy hair. In the months following his birth a lot of my hair fell out and the rest was very dull. My hair also goes greasy-looking within hours of washing it. My hair is starting to grow back in places but it's sticking up in such an awkward fashion that often makes people talk to my hair rather than to me! I can't blame them, I have hair of about 2-3 inch long sticking up all along my parting, and a "fringe" that sticks out from my forehead.

My hairdresser has tried to style my hair to disguise the re growth where she can, and has advised me to let the fringe to do it's own thing as there's no taming it!

Any advice would be welcome! I long for the beautifully thick, shiny locks I had after having DS1!

HalleLouja Mon 25-Mar-13 13:59:09

I have milia is there anyway of getting rid of them without getting a needle out?

WowOoo Mon 25-Mar-13 14:15:11

Hello!
I have a question or two for Trevor Sorbie:
My hairdresser was telling me that some experts say that you shouldn't wash your hair every day as it can dry it out.

What do you think? I feel grubby if my hair hasn't been washed. I also dry my hair and style it daily so maybe this is worse for it than the washing.
Conditioner seems to weigh my fine hair down, so I rarely use it.

Natara Mon 25-Mar-13 14:28:57

I have large pores! I hate it! I clean my face twice daily and tone and moisturise. I only wear makeup when it's necessary (ie I'm going somewhere other than work or home)... What else can I do? Are there any products out there that ACTUALLY work in reducing the overall SIZE of the pores? Let me clarify by mentioning I don't have much of a blackhead or spot problem, if any?!?

ILoveAFullFridge Mon 25-Mar-13 14:33:43

Given that fragrance allergy is one of the most common skin allergies, why are there so few fragrance-free products?. The only 'mainstream' brand is Simple, otherwise you're into premium-land (£10 for a bottle of shampoo?shock)

And why are there no fragrance-free hairstyling products at all? (If there are, please point me at 'em!)

Finally, is there any way to regrow hair lost as a result of seborrheic dermatitis or contact dermatitis?

Thanks.

BoysWillGrow Mon 25-Mar-13 14:54:42

I have what I would call normal type skin, but my face is always slightly paler in places, like my forehead, round my nose and eyes. I wear no make up most days except mascara, what would cause it? is it fairly normal? It's notiable to me and DP when I ask him, but I've never been asked about it by anyone else so i don't want it to get worse, as it seems to get more obvious to me at random. I don't want to wear foundation every day as I keep that for when I do my full makeup for nights out etc.

katiewalters Mon 25-Mar-13 15:09:45

i have a 3year old boy, but he has long hair (shoulder length). i wash his hair every other day, is this too often? or not enough?

Trinski Mon 25-Mar-13 15:24:08

All my life I thought I just had bad hair no matter what shampoo or conditioner I tried. Then one day I tried nicky Clarke and straightaway my hair looked like other people's - smooth, thick and glossy. But you can't get it from boots now, only expensive salons. Nothing else I've tried does the job as well. My question - what is there that is the most like it? Or a any chance of boots selling it again affordably?

helenthemadex Mon 25-Mar-13 15:41:58

I have huge dark circles under my eyes which make me look tired all the time, but I have dry sensitive skin is there anything I can use to reduce the dark circles

JS06 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:43:26

Hello, I'd like to have some advice for two teenage children please who are suffering with greasy hair and who love to look well groomed. They both wash their hair each day and hate that the roots look oily by the end of the day and they feel unclean. Some reassurance that this will change over time and some advice about products would be great please.

Kveta Mon 25-Mar-13 16:00:46

Everything I read about keeping your skin looking good says 'make sure you get enough sleep'.

sadly, neither of my young children has read this advice, and if they had, i think they'd probably ignore it anyway, in favour of keeping us up all night, and then getting up at 5.30am. I am only 31, and my forehead is a mess of wrinkles, and my skin makes me look about 50. I don't use sun cream daily, as I do want to get some vitamin D.

So, given that I can't get enough sleep for the time being (we are in bed by 9pm every night, and really can't go much earlier, so we do what we can to ensure we get some rest), what other tips do you have for keeping skin looking ok?

Peachy Mon 25-Mar-13 16:19:07

My hair is awful. it's the thick type that has irregular waves and seems to form a triangle onto my shoulders. I let the last hairdresser cut it right off but it didn't suit me and has developed a horrid wave that kicks out at my ears, above my glasses, and adds a good decade or more to my 39 years. I used to wear it in asymetric bob that looked goood (jaw length) but I am a good 4" growth away from that now and all the layers are too short to do much with sad

I am starting voluntary work soon as a move towwards getting abck to work after time as a Carer so ANY ideas on how to look vaguely presentable would be appreciated! It's a reddish brown colour and my face is small and round.

Thank you.

gin33333 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:37:37

I have a facial skin problem which i have a lot of redness on nose sides of the nose and some on cheeks which i have afew spots there too also have spots on forehead and chin which is quite bothersome it tends to be itchy painful to touch im not sure exactly what the skin issue is but it is getting me down not sure what products to use or when its actually going to go away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now