Boots Feel Good Forum: skin and ageing – listen to the podcast and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(155 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Mar-13 21:38:15

We hope lots of you have been tuning in to the Boots Feel Good Forum on Real Radio & Smooth Radio.

The latest show is about looking after your skin and how to feel good at any age, featuring skin expert Dr Nick Lowe MD and Psychologist Emma Kenny - see what Qs MNers have been asking the experts on the thread below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread. What advice interested you most? Are you going to try doing anything differently as a result? Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Coming up on the next show top to toe beauty, looking at haircare and skin conditions amongst other things. Post your question for the experts here. You can listen to the best bits of all the shows via our pop-out player here and you can also find more info here.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname wont appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

prettybird Tue 19-Mar-13 13:25:06

My eyelids seem to be getting even more crepey and saggy. Actually, it's the bit above the eyelid and below my eyebrow), so that it folds over my eyelid, so that it's impossible to see the eyelid. The degree of "overlap" seems to be getting worse - is there any eye cream that can help?

I'm just about 52 and other than that, still have fantastic skin even if I so so myself grinwink

Haberdashery Tue 19-Mar-13 13:44:52

There's nothing wrong with wrinkles! But equally, there's nothing wrong with wishing to minimise them a bit if it makes you feel happier and does you no harm (I would draw the line well before any kind of surgical procedure, btw, incl botox which horrifies me). As nobody's ever going to get rid of them permanently, anyone who is genuinely horrified by them would be better off with therapy than eye cream! But most people just don't like them very much. That's normal, too.

I'm not horrified by my wrinkles, hell, I'm 44 and it's not horrifying or unusual or anything other than normal. But I can't say I think I look better with them. And I like looking nice (on my own terms of reference, that is, I'm no supermodel).

There are people who like climbing mountains or riding motorbikes across the desert for fun, which are dangerous and unpleasant pursuits any way I look at it, but I wouldn't dare presume to tell them their idea of fun is WRONG, even if I find it the height of pointlessness. I happen to like little pots of nice smelling gunk and pretty make up and perfume etc. I realise that none of this is particularly important and I'm sure I could do without all of it but I like it. I can't see what's wrong with that.

I'm not bothered about looking old
I am bothered about looking cross.

That's why I want to sort my forehead frown lines.

Littleorangetree Tue 19-Mar-13 14:14:21

Hi! I'm in my early 30s and in the last 2 years my skin has gone from being beautiful, smooth and blemish-free, to being dry, red and spotty. I have no idea why it's become like this as I've always had lovely skin and now it's horrible!!

I think I might be starting to get rosacea on my nose and cheeks. I don't put any cleanser or soap on my skin and moisturise it daily, but it makes no difference, I still have flaky, dry, red skin. Please can you give me some suggestions about what I should do to get my old face back?

Thanks.

MrsIgglePiggle Tue 19-Mar-13 14:53:24

If you shallow breathe a lot, rather than practice deep breathing, does your face lose muscle tone, and thus encourage fine lines?

oiza Tue 19-Mar-13 15:06:10

i'm going forty and my problem is dry skin what do u suggest i use pls

How should I best care for my skin during warmer weather?I have very dry skin, prone to excema and I am extremely pale and have a lot of freckles and quite a few moles. I do use sunscreen on my body but find it makes me break out on my face, leaving me with very red and angry looking spots. Is there a specific type of product that I should be using for my face?

katb1973 Tue 19-Mar-13 18:33:39

What about middle aged, acne prone skin? What products are best for this without drying out skin?

choccyp1g Tue 19-Mar-13 18:47:41

It is so hard to prove whether a cream is really working, as there are so many variables to account for, plus ANY cream may have worked equally well. So, my question is, have there ever been any tests where people use the cream on one side of their face and not the other?

And could you tell the difference?

Lurleene Tue 19-Mar-13 20:36:36

Every morning when I look in the mirror I see another thread vein has appeared on my face! Is there anything I can do to get rid of them apart from lasers?

purples Tue 19-Mar-13 21:28:15

As I've got older my skin has dried out and suffers in the winter. I also have a small scar (about 2cm long) which seems more prominent with all this cold weather we've had recently.
I use the same cream in summer and winter, but should I alter cream depending on season? Current cream does include SPF, so great for the summer, but do I need a different cream for the winter?

Gill81uk Tue 19-Mar-13 22:08:30

What do you recommend for skin that gets very dry but can also be prone to spots, particularly around the chin area?

2BodlyGo Tue 19-Mar-13 22:09:57

It's probably already been asked in some form or another. But. I have a dry flakey patch of skin in my t-zone between the eyebrows, which is also looking a touch wrinkly. I have started to moisturise (use Avene rich moisturising lotion) more regularly over the last 2 months, and also exfoliate once a week (No.7 exfoliating wash) after using the No.7 wash for normal to oily skin. I then use the Airbrush Away primer, which is fab all over except for this one patch which still looks terrible.

My question is in two parts 1) what is causing the dry patch, could it be that I am using the wrong face wash? and 2) what do you suggest to get rid of the dry patch and to soften the wrinkles in that nose crease between the eyebrows?

Thank you!

cutie101 Wed 20-Mar-13 07:56:45

I've just had my second child so time is something I don't have much of, bit I need something to hide my ever aging skin, lines on my forehead and puffy eyes. Is there a magic product that will do all 3 that I can slap on and be done? Of and the cheaper the better as I always feel guilty spending money on myself now, I would far rather spend the money we do have on my girls! Thanks

Trills Wed 20-Mar-13 08:22:28

Is there any health benefit to any "anti-ageing" creams, lotions or serums, or are they purely for cosmetic benefit?

Trills Wed 20-Mar-13 08:22:46

I mean, they don't actually make you age any less...

DollyLevi Wed 20-Mar-13 09:09:53

My neck is letting the side down! It's not that I've neglected it but I think it just needs "more" than my face does, in terms of care (rescue).

Is it worth splashing out on expensive high end brands? Clarins do a neck cream but its soooo expensive! Do they really offer more ? I'm 50 and feel all of a sudden, that my age is catching up.

50BalesOfHay Wed 20-Mar-13 10:36:59

I'm 51. I tell people I'm 65. I often get told how young I look.

Nitpick Wed 20-Mar-13 17:21:08

Ooh I totally LOVE Boots Time Delay Radiance Booster - can't shout about it enough! Its so refreshing when you put it on your skin and leaves no nasty greasy residue. Leaves my face so soft - if you ever discountinue the range I will campaign for its return!

At my fortieth birthday my old school chums said I had great skin and I swear that's why.

I mix it up with a few drops of Rosehip oil from Trilogy (fabulous stuff) and some Number 7 Soft and Sheer Tinted Moisturiser which is nice and moist and doesn't have a drying affect on the skin. I've found that illuminating products can hide so much in terms of shadows under the eyes etc. and really make a difference to how you look.

missorinoco Wed 20-Mar-13 17:43:35

I think the best skin care tip is probably sleep. Which explains why no amount of Touche Eclat can salvage my bags.

In an ideal world I would have enough sleep. Failing that, what not overly expensive products can you recommend to combat the ageing lack of sleep seems to be doing to my skin? In five years my face seems to have aged ten.

GreatGooglyMoogly Wed 20-Mar-13 20:30:54

I have a lot of age/ sun spots on my face. I've tried chemical peel facials but they don't seem to fade them - is there anything that will? TIA.

catinboots Wed 20-Mar-13 20:47:19

My best tips:

8 hours sleep every night
As much water as you can drink each day
Factor 50 sun cream every single day
Botox x2 year

Question:

The dreaded dark circles?? Which, if any, eye creams actually work?

flamingtoaster Wed 20-Mar-13 20:52:36

Do the facial exercises really cause an increase in firmness and reduction of wrinkles? There is a suggestion that they actually may make it worse by stretching the skin/all the movement (i.e. think of laughter lines).

bluebump Wed 20-Mar-13 20:58:36

I would also like to know about super foods/ supplements, are there any in particular that can help improve skin?

My skin is finally the clearest it has been in years but now I am starting to show signs of ageing! Unfair! I'd like to know how to make my skin look less dull.

sansastark Wed 20-Mar-13 21:52:04

I've always believed in staying out of the sun, always wearing sunscreen, not smoking, avoiding alcohol, and drinking lots of water to keep your skin looking good - but having said that, I've done all this all my life, and I still need Botox in my mid-thirties to keep the wrinkles at bay! So maybe there's no way of fighting the inevitable!!

What's your best anti-ageing advice for well-maintained-but-nonetheless getting-on-a-bit mid-thirties skin, which doesn't do anything too dreadful apart from looking a bit mid-thirties-ish?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now