Boots Feel Good Forum: skin and ageing – listen to the podcast and tell us what you think - voucher to be won

(155 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Mar-13 21:38:15

We hope lots of you have been tuning in to the Boots Feel Good Forum on Real Radio & Smooth Radio.

The latest show is about looking after your skin and how to feel good at any age, featuring skin expert Dr Nick Lowe MD and Psychologist Emma Kenny - see what Qs MNers have been asking the experts on the thread below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread. What advice interested you most? Are you going to try doing anything differently as a result? Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Coming up on the next show top to toe beauty, looking at haircare and skin conditions amongst other things. Post your question for the experts here. You can listen to the best bits of all the shows via our pop-out player here and you can also find more info here.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that your comments may be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname wont appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

Zara1984 Mon 18-Mar-13 09:18:13

When should I start using eye cream? I'm 28 but look a bit older probably thanks to 5 month old DS!

What is the age that you should start using "mature" skin products, ie denser ones.

Can/are you meant to use BB cream on its own as a light foundation?

Aside from cleanse/moisturise, is it really necessary to do anything else aside from weekly exfoliation?

Makeminealarge Mon 18-Mar-13 09:41:25

Nearing thirty, in the last few months I have noticed significant fine lines around my eyes and top lip. There are so many cream, lotions and potions out there I have no idea where to start and how to care for my skin. Is it beat to invest in a pricey skin regime and products for long term or are cheaper brands just as good?

Laska42 Mon 18-Mar-13 10:12:59

HI Im 55 and i have never -Yes thats is NEVER - worn make up and have only ever cleaned my facial skin with water (no soap) and very occasionally in the winter used a bit of pretty much the cheapest moisturiser (Neutrogena or Palmers cocoa butter being my current one ) if my skin has started feeling dry.. (Grandmothers advice to me in her teens and she had fantastic skin)

Despite this ( and you may be amazed ) my skin is clean and clear , non wrinkly and i've never suffered from spots so I can only conclude it was great advice. , but I have now noticed recently (as I have lost a couple of stone ) that their is a definite slight 'sag' starting especially under chin ( and also on arms and legs) that doesn't seem to be firming up again after exercise..and using the moisturiser and body lotion above.

I recently invested in some l'oreal Revitalift firming cream to use on my neck and and some facial serum and eye cream from the same range(this is the most i have ever spent on skin products!) . But seriously, are these more expensive ranges like likely to make much of a difference? or should I just keep up with the less expensive brands?.

if not what would you recommend as a not too expensive product that might help.. my skin is on the dry side

Glaikit Mon 18-Mar-13 11:01:24

I am 31 and my skin care regime has always been a bit haphazard. Facial wash or scrub in the shower and I always take my make up off before bed. I have facials every few months.

I have quite bad blackheads over my nose. I've tried loads of things, strips, scrubs, squeezing blush but nothing seems to shift them. What would you recommend

CMOTDibbler Mon 18-Mar-13 11:48:39

I've got good sking for 40, but I've always had open pores on my nose. Any magic cures? I've tried everything!

Is there a non-surgical way to relax my frown lines? Every so often I notice I'm frowning and attempt to relax my forehead, but they are getting worse and are now there all the time even when I'm relaxed.
I know botox would sort it, but really don't want to go down this route. Creams etc won't help, because the issue is stopping myself frowning in the first place.
Help!

Haberdashery Mon 18-Mar-13 12:22:58

I'm 44 and beginning to look a bit wrinkly, but I also have very oily skin. Can you recommend something that will help fight the wrinkles but not give me spots? Every cream I have tried that is specifically for aging skin ends up making me look like a teenager (and not in a good way, just spots for days). Sometimes even things that are aimed at oilier skin are a bit too moisturising for me.

JS06 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:28:31

I'd like some super-boost advice for when I go out and stand on the edge of a rugby pitch for 90 minutes in this British wintery weather supporting my son. I know that my regular products probably don't give enough protection for my dry, fair, softly lining round the eyes a bit skin. I still want to use full make up but please advise on the underneath stuff so that I can emerge as untargeted by the elements as possible.

weenwee Mon 18-Mar-13 12:28:46

If you had to choose between sunscreen and covering up, which would you go for? I'm concerned with some of the chemicals in sunscreen, but I don't want to boil all summer!

Tee2072 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:29:28

I'm 44 and still breakout on a regular basis, despite using 'acne preventing' skin care, like my 13 year old niece. grin

It's obviously not working and I'd also like to start battling some wrinkles. Suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg, as I'm on a tight budget?

carlab Mon 18-Mar-13 12:35:49

I've noticed the skin underneath my eyes is quite dark even after a good night sleep. Is there anything I can use to help this? Also the lines either side of my nose that run to the corners of my mouth are more pronounced as my skin loses it elasticity.... and ideas what I can do to improve that?

Thank you!

chinichats Mon 18-Mar-13 12:36:56

What can i use to help bags under the eyes?

katiewalters Mon 18-Mar-13 12:41:37

im 28 this year, and always worrying about my skin ageing. what is the best (not too expensive) cream that i can use now in my beauty regime to help combat my skin ageing, getting wrinkles, etc

Eastpoint Mon 18-Mar-13 12:42:18

Is a sagging jaw line inevitable or is there anything I can do to minimise this? I don't have lots of weight to lose nor have I just lost weight, its always been pretty stable since I was 18 or so.

Why is high factor suncream more expensive? Surely people should be encouraged to use high protection?

CoalDustWoman Mon 18-Mar-13 12:56:18

Does it make you feel even a little bit awkward inside that you contribute to womens' insecurities and promote the idea that looking "old" is a bad thing?

avelte Mon 18-Mar-13 12:57:39

for a 42 year old woman,what is suitable face cream or serum...in the need to keep my skin wrinkless and hydrated for long...thank you

BollyGood Mon 18-Mar-13 13:00:25

I have such dark circles under my eyes how can I treat them?

nextphase Mon 18-Mar-13 13:03:34

Mid 30s, skin care means soap (yes, that hard, bar stuff) in the shower in the mornings.
Very occasional moisturiser - maybe once a month, when skin feals tight.
Make-up if were going to a wedding or black tie work do.

Why should I be using more moisturiser, when it makes my skin feal greasy?

When I've had make-up put on by profesionals (bride or bridesmaid) they can't beleive how good my skin is. Are all these creams and lotions a way to make up spend money, 'cause once you start, you can't stop?

Peachy Mon 18-Mar-13 13:06:06

I turnn 40 in a few months, and I've noticed recently that my skin is looking ery tired. I never get more than 5 hour's sleep (this won't be changing any time soon, Carer) so what would your advice be please? My skin isn't wrinkled or particullarly lined (apart from a few laugh lines that I rather like), just tired and prone to dryness. Thank you.

Blatherskite Mon 18-Mar-13 13:12:57

I've always had dark circles around my eyes to some extent but now I'm about to turn 35, they're getting darker! The problem is, I also have milia and was told that over-moisturising the area can make the milia worse.

Can you suggest something that would maybe work on my dark circles while also not making the problem with my milia worse? I don't tend to wear make-up on a daily basis so just covering the circles with thick foundation isn't really an option

Fast Mon 18-Mar-13 13:17:04

I have oily skin but spend a lot of time outdoors. I know I need a sun-cream but even the ones designed for facial use seem to be too heavy and claggy, can you recommend anything please?

Also, I have a couple of sun-spots on the top of each cheek. Is there anything that can lighten their appearance or is the damage permanent?

Thanks.

MsGee Mon 18-Mar-13 13:18:34

I have eczema on my eyelids and forehead (oh and now spreading around sides of eyes/forehead). This got infected last year and I took antibiotics, it cleared up but the eczema is still there. Its red and itchy and flaky to the point of scabbing occasionally.

I look and feel horrific. I use dermalogica and occasional steriod cream and just started to use diprobase but at least a few days each week its very uncomfortable and unsightly and its starting to get to me.

Please don't tell me to go to my doctor.

HALA Mon 18-Mar-13 13:23:10

Inorder to get enough vitamin D I have heard that we should be without sunscreen for periods in a day. Which time in the day is it okay to do this ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now