Boots Feel Good Forum: body confidence – listen and tell us what you think – voucher to be won

(74 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Mar-13 09:31:16

The Boots Feel Good Forum about body confidence is on air tonight (Sunday) - 7pm on Real Radio and 8pm on Smooth Radio.

Experts personal trainer Matt Roberts and Psychologist Dr Linda Papadopoulos will be answering MNers questions about diet, exercise and feeling body confident see what Qs MNers have posted below.

Please listen to the show and tell us what you think on this thread everyone who posts will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note that if you post a comment on this thread, your comments may also be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

carovioletfizz Mon 11-Mar-13 20:33:12

I have always maintained, after seeing friends on diets who think they can eat whatever they want as long as they spend an hour at the gym, that actually unless you are working out like an Olympic athlete every day you need to reduce the amount of food you eat to lose weight. Am I right?

Hopezibah Mon 11-Mar-13 20:55:59

Having suffered from arthritis since I was a child, I am very limited in what I can do in the way of excercise so it makes it extra tricky to stay fit and lose weight. Are there any ideas / tips you can give for someone with limited mobility to stay healthy?

I've been (v intermittently) trying to do Couch to 5k. However, I'm having some problems with my knees, not so much when I'm running but after a run and also when going upstairs. Any tips please?

EldonAve Mon 11-Mar-13 21:14:18

How do you find a sport/exercise you enjoy?

eteo Mon 11-Mar-13 21:22:40

Does hypotherapy helps to stop craving for sugar foods?

angelwhip80 Mon 11-Mar-13 22:33:38

I'm just under 5 months pregnant with my first baby and worried about how I stay in shape when I have very little energy and then get back to a healthy weight after bump arrives. Not interested in the celebrity back to bikini body in six weeks, but would like to feel good while showing off my little'un this summer!

Pseudonymity Mon 11-Mar-13 22:43:28

Is it true true that women, rather than men, find it more difficult to lose fat?

FattyMcChubster Mon 11-Mar-13 22:55:41

Motivation- how do you get it and how the jeff do you keep it?!

ICBINEG Tue 12-Mar-13 00:10:59

How can something about body image be sponsored by a company that makes most of it's money by undermining healthy body image?

If you support people developing a healthy relationship with their body, then you don't push expensive skin care, make up and hair crap on them. You don't invent problems with 'fragranced' tampons, sanitary towels either. You don't slap up airbrushed photos of models all over your shop...the list is endless.

In short if you want your DD to grow up with a healthy body image then avoid boots like the plague.

ILoveAFullFridge Tue 12-Mar-13 00:28:30

I have fallen arches and have to wear orthotics in all my shoes. Can I put them in trainers? Will they affect the 'bounce'? Or are there trainers that will support my arch adequately without orthotics?

DS is milk-allergic and approaching puberty. How do I keep him full and get sufficient nutrients into him for his growing body without vitamin tablets (which often use lactose as a binding agent).

goldenretriever Tue 12-Mar-13 10:05:42

My best tip, especially when going out, is that nearly everyone is more concerned with their own bosy than looking at yours.

Lent1l Tue 12-Mar-13 11:10:04

One way to feel more confident is to ask friends what part of you they like and why - it can be surprising the answers you get back and you can find that the image you see in the mirror is nothing like the one that everyone else sees.

iseenodust Tue 12-Mar-13 12:42:36

Fatty above has a good question. I've stopped joining gyms as I fall into the type who go quite a bit, go sometimes, oh seem to have stopped going at all by three months. I've also tried yoga but really not keen and think something more aerobic is required. Oh and I loathe running. Open to other suggestions though.

elienn79 Tue 12-Mar-13 14:30:35

I've got back to my pre-pregnancy weight through eating a healthy diet and breastfeeding. However, my tummy is still a little rounder than it was before I had a baby. As I hope to have another child is it really worthwhile doing lots of exercise to flatten it when another pregnancy will undo all of the work?

If so, what would be the best exercises to do please?

I had a second c-sec, 7 months ago and am getting low back pain. I think I need to rebuild my core strength. What can I do to strengthen/rebuild my tummy muscles? I walk my son to school, which is 2 hours brisk walk each school day (10hours brisk walking per week) and I am trying to hold my muscles in when I walk. Is that right?

bestbefore Tue 12-Mar-13 17:10:40

Any ideas for exercising on a dog walk? I need to walk the dog everyday and I need to do some exercise (and walking alone is not cutting the mustard!) - have tried a bike ride but it all ends up in a bit of a tangled mess! Would just walking for longer burn many calories to make some weight loss/ toning up possible? If so how long would you recommend I walk each day?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 12-Mar-13 22:04:45

Just remember that The Chair is the Enemy and don't sit there for too long without moving.

to Little Abruzzen, Pilates/Callanetics will help with the core muscles.

ataraxia Tue 12-Mar-13 22:21:40

What do you think of the feast & famine/alternate day diet?

sabretiggr Tue 12-Mar-13 22:53:11

When there is a birth of a new child, Dad's also end up with less sleep and eating less healthily with less time to exercise. Any tips for Dad's wanting to shed a few pounds?

best tip is NEVER read women's magazines. they are designed to make you feel fat, ugly, smelly and generally not good enough so that they can then sell you crap that claims to make you less fat, ugly, smelly and generally not good enough.

the articles are literally just the pre-programming for the adverts. i can't think why anyone subjects themselves to them.

doctorhamster Wed 13-Mar-13 09:26:10

The best piece of advice I could give when it comes to improving body confidence is to work on your self esteem. I had a short course of cbt which worked wonders, but there are plenty of self help books available. It's not your body that's the problem, it's the way you feel about it.

Dawnywoo Wed 13-Mar-13 10:21:54

Since becomming a sports massage therapist, I have really taken on board the importance of posture. It's amazing the difference it makes if you consciously think about locking in your abdomincal muscles and pelvic floor not only while you are doing things like lifting but whether you are just walking or standing.

katb1973 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:32:40

After training solidly 3x a week for 9 months, my trainer got injured and has taken some time off. In only 6 weeks of being only incidentally active (school runs, biking etc.) I feel completely let down that I'm back to square one. Why does it take so long to get into shape but so short a time to lose it all?

flamingtoaster Wed 13-Mar-13 15:10:29

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the shape you think your body is is the reason for other problems in your life and you can't solve those problems until you have the perfect body image. Start tackling the other problems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now