Please post your Q about child health - how to give them a balanced diet, skin conditions, concentration levels - whatever it may be! More MNers needed to take part in the new Boots Feel Good Forum radio show - prize to be won!

(92 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 11:27:05

Hello. We're very pleased to be announcing the Boots Feel Good Forum, which airs on Real and Smooth Radio on Sunday night (and will be available to listen to on MN afterwards). The show will be presented by Kate Thornton (mum to DS aged 4), and we hope will feature Mumsnetters live on air! You can find out more info about the show here.

What we'd really like you to do now is contribute to this week's show by posting questions, tips and comments here.

This week we're talking about how to make your family feel good with Supernanny Jo Frost and Dr Ellie Cannon, helping you deal with all the challenges that raising a child might involve. We will provide tips on improving children's concentration levels, help with skin conditions such as eczema and discuss how to deal with the common battlegrounds with younger ones, such as mealtimes, dressing and sleeping to create a harmonious family life.

We'd like MNers to:

~ Share your top tips on how you keep your kids happy and healthy, from healthy diets tips to getting them to behave at mealtime.
~ Post a question for the experts - is there anything you'd love to know about? Something Jo frost and Dr Ellie Cannon can help you with?

Special call for questions about diet, skin conditions or concentration levels in children - if you have a query, please post here.

But remember - even if you don't want to take part in the show, we'd like to hear your thoughts and top tips on making your family feel good on this thread. Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Please tune in to the show - it's on Real Radio from 7-8pm and Smooth Radio from 8-9pm every Sunday and will feature MNers on the airwaves, as well as great expert advice and a few good tunes! There'll be a live listen-along thread on Sunday night so please listen in and post to let us know what you think. The show will also be available to listen to on MN if you can't catch the live show.

Please note that if you post a comment on this thread, it may be read out on the show, or used in an article which MNHQ will write, along with your MN nickname. Your comments may also be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

My DCs are 11 and 8, they sit nicely at the table and eat well because that is what has always been expected of them.
My question for Boots is:
Why do all the tablet antihistamines contain lactose? It is a milk-based common allergen and has no place in an allergy medication.

THERhubarb Wed 27-Feb-13 13:09:30

Reward Charts - I've found that you don't need to promise expensive toys or days out, just making the effort to spend some quality time with the kids is good enough. That could be a friendly football kickabout, baking cakes, building a Lego model together or playing a board game. Children treasure this quality time much more than a new toy and they gain so much from it - as do the parents.

babyrose Wed 27-Feb-13 13:49:50

Sleeping issues. Ds is nearly 3 and doesn't sleep. We lie beside him while he falls asleep at b/time and he comes into our bed during the night. How can we stop this?

FattyMcChubster Wed 27-Feb-13 15:16:21

I'd recommend leaving the house every day. Even if it's just a walk round the block-stops cabin fever in those early days when everything seems a massive chore.
Getting washed, dressed and fed each day (mum that is) makes you feel more human.

I'd love to be able to help baby when they're not well- coughs colds etc but without pumping loads of medicine into them.

stargirl1701 Wed 27-Feb-13 16:28:19

How do you stay positive while parenting a refluxy baby? How do you keep going?

PeppermintPanda Wed 27-Feb-13 17:38:08

Why is it so difficult to get a flu jab for a child? As an adult, I can walk into Boots or any other pharmacy and get one, DD1 can have one at the GPs as she has had chemo, but for DD2 it seems to be virtually impossible.

Also, any tips on getting a child to swallow tablets/capsules? DD1 has to have 7 capules a day, and atm I have to open them up and put the contents onto some fruit puree. If I ask her to swallow it whole, she'll try but tends to hold it in her mouth until it dissolves. I've already tried starting with sweets cut up small and working up to bigger pieces.

...I've never heard of Real Radio or Smooth Radio though, so I'll probably never actually hear the answers... confused

hobnob57 Wed 27-Feb-13 17:39:11

Oh stargirl flowers. It WILL end, promise.

How do you avoid sibling bickering/oneupmanship/possessiveness in a meaningful way (ages 3 and 6) that gives them a good understanding on the effect it has on each other and the rest of the family? Oh, and still have time to feed and tend to a refluxy baby, do all the school and nursery and clubs runs, cook and serve meals and maintain some kind of (inevitably unclean) order in the house?

Our mealtimes have been up and down, depending on fussy stages. One dc tends to drag their heels whilst the other wolfs down food and gets bored waiting. We did a marble jar for a time, getting a marble for finishing in a reasonable time. We have also been through phases of ignoring non-eating, trying to enforce eating, trying to encourage talk, trying to keep a lid on yapping at the expense of eating. My advice is to go with the flow and try different strategies that suit you at the time. There isn't a one size fits all all the time solution, I don't think.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 18:13:51

PeppermintPanda - don't worry - what we forgot to mention in the OP (now amended) is that each show will be available to listen to on MN afterwards, so it doesn't matter if you can't catch the live show on Sunday nights

PeppermintPanda Wed 27-Feb-13 19:07:05

Thanks OtherHelen! smile

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Wed 27-Feb-13 19:08:51

Ds is 17 months and has really bad cradle cap still, very thick, he suffers from dry skin generally but what is good for his head. He's never been clear of it.

Snog Wed 27-Feb-13 19:11:44

Often it's the basics that can go adrift ime
Sounds simple, but making sure your child has enough regular sleep, eats healthily and takes exercise every day really helps with behaviour - easier said than done sometimes I know

missorinoco Wed 27-Feb-13 21:10:02

Tips for a harmonious family.

Follow through with a warning. It may give you grief initially when you deal with the fall out, but you will reap the gains of a child that knows you mean business when you give a warning.

Praise all the good things they do. It helps remind me that they are good, especially on days when they are being demons.

A good tip I had from here was to remind myself how much I like my children. When they are driving you crackers, take a step back and give them a cuddle.

What advice would I like - how do you do individual time when the children are so small? What they get doesn't seem very much, and with a just two year old around, especially when my husband is at work, quality individual time for the older ones seems a fantasy. How do you give them more "time", if you see what I mean?

sharond101 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:33:25

DS has a horrendous cough which Dr says is viral and as soon as he lies down in cot the cough starts and he cannot stop. It is as he is bringing up phlegm, swallowing it again and choking on it. He is only 9 months old, how can I help him?

ElvisIsKing Thu 28-Feb-13 09:36:21

Sharon are you sure that's not whooping cough? Have a look at the videos on whoopingcough.net and see if they sound familiar. Whatever it is hope your DS is better soon

THERhubarb Thu 28-Feb-13 10:50:06

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight dd had bad cradle cap too, at least that's what I assumed it was but she's now 12 and still suffers from what looks like cradle cap at either side of her head, just above her ears and a little around her hairline. It's horrible because it looks like really bad dandruff, only the flakes are bigger and now she's a pre-teen of course she hates the fact that it's sometimes noticeable. I've checked her head and compared it to a friend's baby and it really does still look like cradle cap so I shall be interested to see what they recommend to you for it.

sharond101 the advice for babies with a cough is never to lie them flat. Make sure his head is raised (you can put books under the front half of the cot to tilt it) so that he doesn't choke on phlegm. I also used to get a bowl of very hot, steaming water and put a few drops of eucalyptus in there. Put this right next to his cot. The steam should help to soothe his cough and it was the only thing that would work with my kids.

Another trick is to run the shower whilst giving him a bath so that the bathroom is nice and steamy. Again, the steam really does help.

I also second Elvis' advice to check that it's not whooping cough.

pixi2 Thu 28-Feb-13 10:58:34

How do you build confidence in a young child (aged 3). He's a lively little rascal but very quiet in large groups of children.

CheeseStrawWars Thu 28-Feb-13 11:37:20

A question for Dr Ellie - trampolines seem to be the new climbing frames, as far as garden toys go these days. With a climbing frame, obviously there's risks - kids could fall off and injure themselves - but bumps, sprains and grazes are part of childhood... My kids, age 2 and 4, love trampolines - it's great exercise for them, but I am a bit worried about getting one ourselves as I have heard that many medical professionals take a dim view of trampolines for causing a "dramatic increase in serious injuries"*. (Admittedly some of these injuries are through using the trampoline incorrectly - for instance there's not supposed to be more than one child on at a time, but the reality is that policing turns causes more problems than it's worth.)

Long story short - are trampolines inherently more dangerous than any other outdoor equipment? Does the exercise benefit outweigh the risks?

* quote from here

CheeseStrawWars Thu 28-Feb-13 11:39:44

Also - DD has really thin, really fine hair - is there anything we can do or use to help thicken it up? She had terrible cradle cap for the first 3 years and I worry that may have damaged her hair - is that likely? DS has fine but thick hair and his cradle cap was minimal.

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 28-Feb-13 12:31:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iYawn Thu 28-Feb-13 13:18:28

Hello
ANy other tips for getting kids to take calpol when unwell?
My Ds1 was fine but when DS2 is ill we manage to turn his bedroom into a pink sticky mess and inevitably he doesn't take it...

ctoyno Thu 28-Feb-13 13:42:57

Everyone sounds very sensible here! I wanted to share a lovely new thing that we do at bed time: I have made some simple lavender massage oil and I give my son a hand/arm massage and sing him some favourite songs at bed time - it's really nice for both of us and he falls asleep very happy. He went to bed fine anyway, but it's just a lovely thing to do together, after the busy rushing around of the days - especially as I sometimes dont see him for a few bedtimes in a row due to shift work and other commitments.

JS06 Thu 28-Feb-13 13:47:38

Tips for a boy full of energy

I veered between listening to those who would have me sign son up for every activity going and not doing anything as another friend said exercise would increase his stamina and make him more energetic!!

From ages 6 - 11 I found the very best thing was to have regular meals, general activities, swimming lessons etc. THEN in the evening, just before his bath I took him to local park and unleashed him! I timed him running laps, I joined him so he could beat me, he ran backwards, he ran over obstacles, he did zig zags across the park. Anything to wear him out. This made bath time and bed time welcome for all of us. In time his natural sporting talent emerged, he loves the rough and tumble of rugby and relishes challenging himself doing self timed running on various routes around home. Son now 16, about to go to do a sports course at college, we're still learning but releasing that energy was vital for his sanity and mine.

HALA Thu 28-Feb-13 13:59:39

Make sure to take the kids out for a walk or a play in the park. It makes all the difference in helping them have some fun, use energy and have a good nights sleep

bestbefore Thu 28-Feb-13 14:03:39

My DD is approaching 10 and starting to ask questions about how her body will change - what's the best way to approach this? I don't want to worry her as it may seem overwhelming but do want to be open and honest with her. Would a book help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now