Please post your Q about child health - how to give them a balanced diet, skin conditions, concentration levels - whatever it may be! More MNers needed to take part in the new Boots Feel Good Forum radio show - prize to be won!

(92 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 11:27:05

Hello. We're very pleased to be announcing the Boots Feel Good Forum, which airs on Real and Smooth Radio on Sunday night (and will be available to listen to on MN afterwards). The show will be presented by Kate Thornton (mum to DS aged 4), and we hope will feature Mumsnetters live on air! You can find out more info about the show here.

What we'd really like you to do now is contribute to this week's show by posting questions, tips and comments here.

This week we're talking about how to make your family feel good with Supernanny Jo Frost and Dr Ellie Cannon, helping you deal with all the challenges that raising a child might involve. We will provide tips on improving children's concentration levels, help with skin conditions such as eczema and discuss how to deal with the common battlegrounds with younger ones, such as mealtimes, dressing and sleeping to create a harmonious family life.

We'd like MNers to:

~ Share your top tips on how you keep your kids happy and healthy, from healthy diets tips to getting them to behave at mealtime.
~ Post a question for the experts - is there anything you'd love to know about? Something Jo frost and Dr Ellie Cannon can help you with?

Special call for questions about diet, skin conditions or concentration levels in children - if you have a query, please post here.

But remember - even if you don't want to take part in the show, we'd like to hear your thoughts and top tips on making your family feel good on this thread. Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Please tune in to the show - it's on Real Radio from 7-8pm and Smooth Radio from 8-9pm every Sunday and will feature MNers on the airwaves, as well as great expert advice and a few good tunes! There'll be a live listen-along thread on Sunday night so please listen in and post to let us know what you think. The show will also be available to listen to on MN if you can't catch the live show.

Please note that if you post a comment on this thread, it may be read out on the show, or used in an article which MNHQ will write, along with your MN nickname. Your comments may also be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 01-Mar-13 16:08:07

Concentration levels, yes - does anyone have any tips on how to get their DCs to focus on one task (whether that's a piece of homework, emptying the dishwasher or getting their clothes ready for the next day) and finish it without constantly getting distracted and taking all evening?

Rafi Fri 01-Mar-13 16:58:51

Any tips on how to help an 11-year-old DS who has very sensitive skin and has just started breaking out in spots?

Littleorangetree Fri 01-Mar-13 18:00:06

I think my top tip for healthy kids is to make sure they get out and about in the fresh air as much as possible. It helps them to build up their appetite, sleep better and get more vitamin D (though up here in the north of Scotland that last point is probably not true for most of the year!!).

Ashoething Fri 01-Mar-13 18:18:09

My question is-

My youngest dc-3-refuses point blank to eat fruit. Have tried juices/smoothies,jellys,in puddings etc. Will drink fruit juice bu tonly as long as it doesnt have "bits". My other dcs love fruit!

Any tips on encouraging him to eat it?<I suppose strangling is out?>

JenniferHelen Fri 01-Mar-13 18:39:05

My three year-old's just polished off a tea of fish, broccoli, carrots, peas and swiss chard and I'm convinced it's all down to baby-led weaning. He's never had a puree, or a 'child's meal' in his life - he's only ever eaten proper adult food from 6 months old, so we've never had to 'introduce' anything to his diet. I'm evangelical about it and would recommend it to anyone. And it's so easy!

chocolateshoes Fri 01-Mar-13 19:36:31

my 7 year old son has just been given an IEP because he struggles to concentrate and begin tasks. I am absolutely devastated because he is a bright boy who reads really well and has wide subject knowledge. I'm worried he is being labelled as SEN and this will hinder his progress. So, I need as much help as possible to help DS with his concentration. He has been taking fish oil supplements for the last 2 weeks - do you think these work and if so, how long until we see a difference? I've tried giving him high in protein breakfasts - egg, porridge, plus I've made mufins with oatbran, chia seeds, wheatgerm and blueberries. Can you suggest any other 'brain foods'? DS has been using Luminosity on my phone most days for 'brain training'. I really don't know what else to do. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Crazybit Fri 01-Mar-13 20:38:59

My ds developed an intolerance to cows milk (lactose) after a bout of norovirus. In order to test him for it my Paediatrician persuaded me to give him a few weeks of cows milk. Along with awful diarrhea and other things, he also developed a bit of ezcema. I have been able to find any conclusive research as to whether lactose intlerance can be a factor in a child developing ezcema. Does anyone else have experience?

Tip: When weaning, always try to give vegetables more than fruit otherwise the fruit can give them a sweet tooth. Also, always give the veg first, you can find that when given the choice when older, they will go for the vegetables before other food. ( Not always of course, but it can set a good habit..)

Kveta Fri 01-Mar-13 20:46:32

Baby led weaning does not guarantee a non-fussy eater. My 3.5 yo was breast fed until 3 years old, baby led weaned, and is now the fussiest eater of his peers (unless he's in the right mood)!

Cherrybright Fri 01-Mar-13 21:02:29

My top tip is to get outside and play lots. Try and always have healthy snacks avaliable, and make sure sleep is right. Mealtimes/ what she will eat and behaviour is always so much better when sleep is right.

leanneth Fri 01-Mar-13 21:33:40

I agree with some previous posters whose tips include stick to rules, routines, boundaries and follow through with warnings. Children need discipline and routine and need to know what they can and cannot do.
Also, we always sit around the table to eat and discuss the day. We also discuss what the children did at school that day on the way home from school as well as how they felt about something that happened that day. This gives them an opportunity to reflect on the day and have their voice heard. We encourage them to write diaries too, to assist this reflection and also for extra handwriting and spelling practice.

For previous posters with queries about reflux- consider looking into alternative therapies. My son had Bowen treatment and cranial massage which improved the reflux loads and seemed to make him a happier, less angry baby. I also found that cutting out milk from my own diet helped him while he was breastfed.

VilootShesCute Fri 01-Mar-13 23:01:23

Any tips on trying to stop everyone (grandparents especially but even the school to a certain extent) trying to feed my 6yr old SO much sugar like it's going out of fashion? Have these people no idea?!

Neiffer Sat 02-Mar-13 07:35:28

My 14 month old son has had a rash on his cheeks for the last few months. It alternates between just dry red skin and a full on rash spreading to his mouth. We have been using e45 to stop it drying out but can't figure out whats causing it! He has an allergy to fresh tomatoes which we therefore avoid but that's it. It flares up when he's teething I think or if we're out in the cold, and sometimes just randomly. It's not serious enough to warrant a gp visit, any ideas?!

mummymccar Sat 02-Mar-13 08:23:55

My one year old has a vegetarian diet - I give her lots of fruit, veg, and nuts for protein but how do I find out just how much she needs in terms of protein and vitamins in her diet? How do I know that she is getting enough?

DifferentNow Sat 02-Mar-13 08:49:04

I think a good routine is vital for childrens well being. Plenty of sleep, nutritious food including a decent breakfast and lots of fresh air. Time away from tv/games consoles etc just to play but similarly enough down time as opposed to being ferried between extra-curricular activities.

babylily Sat 02-Mar-13 11:12:17

How do I boost the immunity ofmy 18 month old son. He has a permanent cold, regular sickness bugs and barely goes a week in good health. He eats loads of fruit and fresh vegetables, I give him multi vitamins every day. He was breastfed until recently and also has a dairy allergy and excema. He recently ended up in hospital following a sickness bug so would love to know how I can help him avoid so many bugs without imposing quarantine!

Katz Sat 02-Mar-13 11:22:05

what age do you think a child with a medical condition should wear a medi-alert bracelet?

Visadiva Sat 02-Mar-13 18:14:44

Get out and about, even in the rain. Half an hour of fresh air, running round the park or just a nice walk. Uses up some of that excess energy and stops them climbing the walls at home. Wrap up warm and go.

champagnesupernova Sat 02-Mar-13 19:47:53

How do you know whether a rash/dry skin is eczema or what?
Tia

ProphetOfDoom Sat 02-Mar-13 21:35:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Sat 02-Mar-13 21:50:09

My 3 yo has on numerous occasions been in contact with children who have then got chicken pox.

Why hasn't she had it?

Genuinely bewildered as they must have been contagious when she was there as other dcs caught it.

DessertFox Sat 02-Mar-13 23:10:28

When my DS (5 mo) suffers a flare up of his eczema, he changes from a cheery chappy into a desperately unhappy little screamer, fighting to scratch, crying till he's bright red, making bedtime and nappy changes a battlezone... GP has him on hydrocortisones & emollients which have been pretty good at keeping it at bay and saving sanity all round...

Are there any other changes we could make around the home to help him out / minimise triggers?

He is EBF so far (would diet changes/limitations make any difference? Just trying to eat balanced diet and not eat too much cake/ have a glass of wine every evening ) No smokers here but we do have a cat. Any help would be great.

Kittycatcat Sun 03-Mar-13 07:19:27

My ds2 has silent reflux. Have you any tips re weaning? Foods to avoid? Since weaning his reflux isn't so silent, he's sick with his morning and bed time bottles. He's been having vegetable purées and yoghurts, I think the yoghurts are a problem and am concerned there may be dairy allergies now?

Forgetfulmog Sun 03-Mar-13 09:18:46

Kittycat - thank you for your PM smile
My dd had actual reflux when she was younger & I found that cutting out dairy from my diet (she's bf) really helped so you may find it useful to do so for your DC. Will respond to your PM in a mo

SunshinePanda Sun 03-Mar-13 16:06:01

Which vitamin supplement do you recommend for a teenage vegetarian girl who currently takes a multi vitamin with iron but often seems tired?

enormouse Sun 03-Mar-13 18:24:03

Does my little one need vitamin drops? He's 16 months old and half Indian half Irish so might need extra vitamin D. My gp says no but every other source of info says yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now