Please post your Q about child health - how to give them a balanced diet, skin conditions, concentration levels - whatever it may be! More MNers needed to take part in the new Boots Feel Good Forum radio show - prize to be won!

(92 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 11:27:05

Hello. We're very pleased to be announcing the Boots Feel Good Forum, which airs on Real and Smooth Radio on Sunday night (and will be available to listen to on MN afterwards). The show will be presented by Kate Thornton (mum to DS aged 4), and we hope will feature Mumsnetters live on air! You can find out more info about the show here.

What we'd really like you to do now is contribute to this week's show by posting questions, tips and comments here.

This week we're talking about how to make your family feel good with Supernanny Jo Frost and Dr Ellie Cannon, helping you deal with all the challenges that raising a child might involve. We will provide tips on improving children's concentration levels, help with skin conditions such as eczema and discuss how to deal with the common battlegrounds with younger ones, such as mealtimes, dressing and sleeping to create a harmonious family life.

We'd like MNers to:

~ Share your top tips on how you keep your kids happy and healthy, from healthy diets tips to getting them to behave at mealtime.
~ Post a question for the experts - is there anything you'd love to know about? Something Jo frost and Dr Ellie Cannon can help you with?

Special call for questions about diet, skin conditions or concentration levels in children - if you have a query, please post here.

But remember - even if you don't want to take part in the show, we'd like to hear your thoughts and top tips on making your family feel good on this thread. Everyone who posts a comment will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Boots voucher.

Please tune in to the show - it's on Real Radio from 7-8pm and Smooth Radio from 8-9pm every Sunday and will feature MNers on the airwaves, as well as great expert advice and a few good tunes! There'll be a live listen-along thread on Sunday night so please listen in and post to let us know what you think. The show will also be available to listen to on MN if you can't catch the live show.

Please note that if you post a comment on this thread, it may be read out on the show, or used in an article which MNHQ will write, along with your MN nickname. Your comments may also be used by the Feel Good Forum in advertising but your MN nickname won't appear.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

The views/content expressed within this forum are those of the participants and not those of Boots UK Limited or its agents

JeanBillie Thu 28-Feb-13 14:04:54

My question is about TV - should you really ban it for under 2s? My daughter is 19 months old and doesn't watch much, but I do wonder about it at the weekend. Thanks

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Thu 28-Feb-13 14:09:57

Getting DD out of the house and running around for a while every day made all the difference when she was small. Actually, now she's 12 it still makes all the difference. She and I kick a ball around or play tennis (badly) and it's not just fun exercise, it's quality time for us.

weenwee Thu 28-Feb-13 14:13:57

Don't panic. Don't try to be the 'best'. Be a caring, loving parent, and know that it is the absolute greatest thing for your child.

mummyofcutetwo Thu 28-Feb-13 14:31:17

Tips for a happy child:
- Make sure you listen to what he's saying and how he says it, rather than listening to part of it and assuming you know. It can be very difficult with a baby in tow too, but will save a lot of misunderstanding and heartache, and, importantly, your child will feel respected.
- Explain why you're saying no to something as it helps your little one understand why not and then he'll be more likely to think requests through before asking in future.
- Tell him where you're going even if you're just doing boring errands. If he's in the car then he's involved too. I've heard too many people reply "you don't need to know" or "it's nothing to do with you" when their child asks where they're going. I'd hate not knowing, and I'm sure they do too!
- Take time to hug your child and tell him you love him, however busy or stressed you may be. An obvious one, but it's all too easy to let things slide in times of stress.
- Tell your child when you're proud of him. I can almost see DS1 grow a couple of inches when we tell him we're impressed with something he's said or done!
- Resolve issues calmly without resorting to raised voices.

Questions:
- How do you teach a child not to interrupt?
- How do you teach a 5 year old to deal with unkind children who hit/kick/make unkind comments?

Any tips to deal with toddler night terrors? Or how to prevent an over-loving 2 year old from literally killing her baby brother with kindness as she practically strangles him when cuddling....

Yes yes to fresh air and getting out every day even if it's just a walk to the shops to buy milk

Hopezibah Thu 28-Feb-13 14:44:25

Help! I need tips on how to deal with challenging behaviour from my child who has aspergers. We have techniques for managing his behavour generally but once a meltdown kicks in, there seems to be nothing we can do or say to help him until it has run it's course. Please can you offer any advice?

Generally he needs love, consistency, boundaries and fairness (like most children do) - but most children manage to calm down, show remorse and learn from their mistakes whereas he does not. Consequences - even applied fairly and consistently have no effect on him and do not prevent him from doing the same things again.

katiewalters Thu 28-Feb-13 14:58:14

At mealtimes, we all eat together as a family round the table, and eat the same thing. My 3year old seems to enjoy doing this, as he thinks hes a big boy eating at the table with mommy and daddy. If he ever plays up at the table, we try to ignore him and if he doesnt want to eat dinner we always let him know he cant have anything else, so will go to bed hungry, and he always eats it in the end.
To stay healthy we give our son a balanced diet, he has fruit and veg everyday, he gets some form of exercise everyday, whether it be walking the 15minutes to nursery, then back later on, running round with friends at a soft play centre, going to the park, etc.

One thing I would love some advice on for my 3year old is how to combat nail biting, when he is around a lot of kids that do it. He did it once before and he'd never done so before, but we thought he had picked it up from nursery as we'd noticed a few of the kids doing it. We mainly ignored it, just took his hands from his mouth when he was biting, and would praise him for not biting. After months he stopped, but now since going back to nursery in the new year after the christmas break hes started again. His nails are really short, and they are sore as he bites them so low, so didnt know what the best way to get him to stop would be

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 28-Feb-13 15:21:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 28-Feb-13 16:27:33

What is the best cough remedy? And what do you recommend for a croup cough?

Honestyisbest Thu 28-Feb-13 16:44:35

My son is 14 and very typically teenagery. Mood swings etc. Are there any vitamin or health food supplements that can help stabilise his mood?

Littlecherublegs Thu 28-Feb-13 18:02:13

Turn your child(ren) into foodies as soon as you can!

This can help encourage good eating habits and aid their happiness and wellbeing - healthy eating, sitting down as a family for meals, thinking about what food is and where it comes from, what your 5 a day is, teach them to cook, different cooking methods, etc.
Will set them up for life!!

My DS is only 6 months old but he loves watching me cook, shop and eat and I always talk to him about what Im doing.

I've just started weaning him and he thinks all his Christmas' have come at once!! smile

Tortington Thu 28-Feb-13 18:58:01

to help children with eating and diet - involve them in shopping and cooking.

think about your expectations at the table. I often think a lot of people ( not just parents) expect a lot from small children at meal times. I think meal times should be fun, a time for talking and laughter, not stict rules. of course there are good manners - which is quite different.

A the table we had a routine of each asking someone at the talbe " what did you do today?" i think children are inatley self centred, so this is a good excersise in teaching them to listen to other people and feel for other people too.

Tortington Thu 28-Feb-13 18:59:14

just to add RE: expectations -- to put it in context - i wouldn't be overly fussed if a child didn't hold their fork in their left hand - but i would be annoyed if a mobile phone made an appearance

Tortington Thu 28-Feb-13 18:59:29

think ive gone off topic

ChristmasJubilee Thu 28-Feb-13 21:00:01

Don't sweat the small stuff, life's too short.

eteo Thu 28-Feb-13 21:57:30

I want both of my children to be bilingual. But both refused to learn my mother tongue - chinese. How can I make them happy to learn it?

Fairymitzi Thu 28-Feb-13 22:59:08

for chicken pox.. baby powder on after a bath and calamine will dry up the spots and draw out the pus. i couldnt believe how well it worked smile

Forgetfulmog Fri 01-Mar-13 06:51:13

Hello

My dd is nearly 6 months & for the last 3 months has suffered from some kind of stomach complaint. She has a lot of problems passing wind & pooing and is usually in pain when she does. Her poos are runny and have a sour yoghurt smell. She is bf and feeds every 1.5-2 hrs (she needs to feed to pass wind or poo). Because of her discomfort she won't sleep in her cot & will only sleep (night & day) on me. She spends a lot of time writhing because of her stomach. I'm barely getting any sleep because of this. Do you have any idea what might be the problem with her stomach? Her paediatrician isn't too concerned and thinks it may be something she will grow out of.

Thanks

chunkydory Fri 01-Mar-13 08:55:30

Hi I would like to know what really works for eczema? Is it a combination of diet an creams or would diet alone do it if followed strictly? Thank you

noidles Fri 01-Mar-13 09:51:21

I have a similar question to chunkydory, I want to know what is the best way to treat psoriasis - my nephew has really painful psoriasis on the back of his knees and it constantly cracks when he walks. My sister has used loads of creams, and they improve things to an extent, but is there anything else that would help (like diet)?

THERhubarb Fri 01-Mar-13 14:16:14

OldBagWantsNewBag I'm 41 and I can't swallow tablets, no matter how hard I try. I keep sicking them up. Luckily most medicine comes in other forms and I also crush tablets myself and take them that way. They don't taste nice but if I hold my nose I can't taste them!
And look at the positives - he's highly unlikely to choke is he?

noidles My dh has psoriasis and he has tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that worked for him was UV light treatment from the local hospital but there are risks with this and the psoriasis does come back after a year.

Things you can try is to wrap the affected parts in clingfilm at night after you've applied the cream.
Don't use soap at all (we use Sanex) and be careful what washing powder you use.
My dh has Dovonex now which controls it a bit but that's not ideal for a child.
As for diet, he's tried it all. He's cut out coffee, alcohol and so on and I doubt your nephew has any of these things anyway.
They don't know what causes psoriasis and so there is no cure for it. Some things might work for some people and not for others so it's really a case of experimenting. Avoid creams with alcohol and perfume though and don't be tempted to try any expensive drinks or creams - if there was a cure for psoriasis they'd be selling it to the drugs companies for a mint.

Hey, I should be employed by Boots, I'm giving out loads of advice see! I'm free btw Boots. PM me if you want my CV (I'm a darn good copywriter as well as just an amazing worker) grin

serendipity1980 Fri 01-Mar-13 14:57:40

How do you encourage fussy eaters to try different food? The food our children aged 3 and 4 eat, varies from dinner to dinner! What age does food fussiness improve? They are not given a different meal if they don't eat the first one.

Many thanks!

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Mar-13 15:15:52

Thanks for all your questions, tips and advice so far. We're still looking for more callers to talk to Kate Thornton and our experts. Maybe you have a question about how to make sure your DC has a balanced diet? Or you want advice on a skin condition? Or you'd like to know how to improve your DC's concentration levels? Please post here and/or sign up to be a caller on the show - your contribution is much appreciated!

HannahLI Fri 01-Mar-13 15:39:12

I have two great eaters and I make a point of everyone having the same right from the start, I think it helps with getting them to try it and there is no expectation that anyone will get anything else than what's in front of them! With my two year old he often gets tired around bedtime and this can effect whether he eats his dinner or not so I try and keep an eye to eat and move dinner time forward by 30 minutes if I think it might be an issue, that way it helps keep dinner time positive, we also encourage everyone to talk about their day which keeps them busy thinking and not focused totally on the food which keeps spirits high and leads to less "I don't like this" !

Babycarmen Fri 01-Mar-13 16:06:46

What's the best way to treat a 1yo for the cold at home? And when should you take them to the doctor? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now