BOOK OF THE MONTH: THE DAMNED UTD by David Peace. Join David for live webchat on Tuesday 29th June 12.30 - 1.30

(52 Posts)

THE DAMNED UTD by David Peace takes the trophy for June's Book of the Month, in a close match with only a few points between all three books.

We will get together to chat about the book on Tuesday 29 June, 8-9.30pm.

For those that missed it, here were the choices and the June poll results.

And for anyone new to Bookclub, here is how it works.

Checking now to see if Mr Peace might be able to join in...

Fantastic news - David Peace, author of The Damned Utd, is up for a webchat. Due to the evening's clash with a World Cup match (how did I not see that coming?), he'll be chatting to us at lunchtime instead.

So, join us here 12.30-1.30pm on Tuesday 29 June and put your questions to the man himself.

We'll also then be here in the evening, usual time 8-9.30pm, to discuss the book amongst ourselves, and for anyone who can't make the lunchtime slot. And for anyone who isn't watching the match...

This book is giving me a completely different take on World Cup - I keep seeing players committing fouls and getting away with it.

David will be here to discuss the book next Tuesday 29 June at lunchtime, 12.30-1.30. If you can't make it please put your question here beforehand and we'll make sure it gets an answer. And for those who can be there, feel free to put a few questions up in advance.

It'll just be the lunchtime slot, with no evening discussion, as we thought everyone too busy to come here twice. So do put your thoughts and queries up here if you can't make the webchat.

See you Tuesday...

MavisEnderby Thu 24-Jun-10 19:54:04

OOH good.

I have a few questions about the book for Mr Peace

Hello Mr Peace.I will start by saying I am a big Nottingham Forest fan and spent probably too many Saturday afternoons of my spotty youth stood on the Trent End watching "Brian Clough's Red And White Army" in full footballing flow.

(I can now hear you groaning inwardly)

So my questions are,young man

I KNOW it was a fictional account of the short spell Cloughie spent at Leeds but does it bother you that the book apparently greatly upset Cloughs widow when it was published,namely all the foul language and bits about the drinking.(We all know the man had a severe alcohol problem in latter years) but she maintains that this was not an issue at this particular time.

What inspired you to write about Clough's time at Leeds in the first place?

Did you like the books adaptation to film?I personally thought it was excellent

Lastly a couple that are not directly about the book but deserve answering IMHO.

Do you agree,flawed genius that he was,Clough was indeed the best manager England never had?

Lastly how do you reckon he would have fared in today's game?

Many thanks,Mavis

FolornHope Fri 25-Jun-10 18:07:09

i dindt get it. I dont do football and i didnt understand the book. I did try though and i htink david P looks rather menacing in his pic

FolornHope Fri 25-Jun-10 18:09:25

..ooh but i note you went to Batley grammar. So did one of my parents.
they dont live there any more but htey do go on about chickenly and hanging heaton.. does this mean anything to you?! grin

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 25-Jun-10 21:21:57

This interview with David Peace is interesting for background about his writing, his Yorkshire childhood and living in Tokyo.

And this interview is illuminating about his family - he has a Japanese wife and two children - and his approach to writing (and life in general).

FolornHope Fri 25-Jun-10 22:22:54

Thanks that us interstong. Wonder if his parents knew my uncle. Also a local head. Died in the late 80s of a disease of the era.

2lovelykids Sun 27-Jun-10 11:27:15

this is a brill book - not just for football lovers!

MayorNaze Mon 28-Jun-10 09:09:37

ok

i will be around tues but not til about 1 so here we go for the time being

first of all, i do not do football, i had no idea who brian clough was and therefore no concept of context etc blush sorry blush

so it may be wholly inaccurate for me to say that i got the impression throughout that Clough was rather like Gene Hunt in Ashes etc. is that totally wrong???

i know it was fiction but did you have any sources to work from: interview transcripts/anecdotes etc

if so, did you find a lot of bias for/against him???

i thought your style of narrative was v interesting but as someone with no prior knowledge whatsoever i found it quite hard to follow. though i appreciate that perhaps a complete football clot such as myself was not your intended audience...

lastly, may i bring to your attenton that your cover pic on my copy makes you look suspiciously like steve coogan...

grin

MayorNaze Mon 28-Jun-10 09:14:17

oh crap just read the interviews and one of my questions is answered blush

ah well

have more literary comment but will save them for webchat

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jun-10 11:50:04

Hello, we don't normally do this but we want to try to get an idea of how many people can take part in tomorrow's discussion? Would you mind posting here if you intend to.

Reason we ask is that David Peace is on his hols and even though he's very happy to join us, it seems a bit mean to ask him to give up the time if not enough people around to take part.

TIA

MayorNaze Mon 28-Jun-10 11:59:35

will try and be back for 12.45 but def there for 1

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jun-10 12:44:14

Thank you, MayorNaze. Anyone else?

MavisEnderby Mon 28-Jun-10 13:22:08

I can be around .

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jun-10 13:36:57

Good-oh. Anyone else <stuck record emoticon>

DavidPeace Tue 29-Jun-10 10:40:09

Testing

MayorNaze Tue 29-Jun-10 10:53:36

quick grab him

personanongrata Tue 29-Jun-10 12:13:12

Hi David. I'm glad I hadn't seen the film of your book because it meant I didn't come to it with preconceived ideas (apart from remembering Cloughie on the telly when I was a kid).

While I was reading it, it reminded me of Murder in the Cathedral, which I did for A-level eons ago and didn't consciously 'remember'.

So can I ask what the point of the repetition was? To mimic football chanting? To build up a sort of aural atmosphere? (And do you like TS Eliot grin).

Thank you.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Jun-10 12:32:54

So England are back from the World Cup, but football is still on the agenda today at Mumsnet. Author David Peace has just returned from a crime writer's convention in France and is here to join us on Mumsnet to chat about this month's book of the month, 'The Damned United' as well has his other novels. Welcome to Mumsnet, David...

DavidPeace Tue 29-Jun-10 12:35:25

Hi Personanongrata and thanks for reading my book and for your question. I used the repetition for a number of reasons. Firstly, because our own daily lives are built upon endless repetitions - the things we say, the things we do, the places we go, the people we meet - and I hope the repetitions in the book therefore make it feel more authentic. Secondly, how then these repetitions can then turn against us and make us afraid and paranoid. And thirdly, as you say, to echo the repetitions of football itself, aurally and physically. Hope that makes sense! Finally, I do like Mr. Eliot (but more his poetry than his plays). Thanks again.

DavidPeace Tue 29-Jun-10 12:36:29

Hello Rachel, and thank you for inviting me onto Mumsnet.

kittykitty Tue 29-Jun-10 12:37:35

I have to ask - what do you think of England's poor performance in the World Cup? And do you have any ideas as to what we could do next time to avoid such national heartache and disappointment?

MayorNaze Tue 29-Jun-10 12:37:39

i am here! but will give you a chance to catch up with the thread. welcome

personanongrata Tue 29-Jun-10 12:38:19

That does make sense. Thanks v much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now