And our Booker shortlisted October Book of the Month is...THE LITTLE STRANGER by Sarah Waters (discussion Tue 3 Nov)

(126 Posts)

THE LITTLE STRANGER has been crowned winner of our October Book of the Month poll, with WOLF HALL just 2 votes behind.

We'll be chatting about THE LITTLE STRANGER on Tuesday 20 October from 8pm to 9.30pm. Hope you can join us!

Don't forget you can order your copy here.

And, for anyone who missed out on the vote here were October's book choices and this is how Book Club works.

DutchOma Tue 29-Sep-09 20:15:58

Sorry Tilly, the link to the buy your book 'here' does not work

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Sep-09 21:41:57

Dutch Oma: try this one

Would love to join in but unless I can get a hold of this at library this week looks like I will have to pass. Can't afford £8.99 for a book at the mo. Any ideas where I can get it cheaper? Or do I need to suggest MN should stick to paperbacks in future to be a bit more inclusive? blush

frazzled74 Fri 02-Oct-09 09:22:14

have just bought this so would love to join in.

My copy just arrived this morning. Hope I can get it read in time...

Is there any reason why the discussion is as early as the 20th? Surely would be better to put as close to end of month as possible to give more people time to read??

lovechoc Sat 03-Oct-09 20:50:02

Ha, I was planning on reading this in time for the discussion but 20th October won't be any good to me considering I can only manage to read one or two chapers per night. Will read the book but won't really be able to discuss it at that date.

Looking forward to the next month's chosen book.

lovechoc Sat 03-Oct-09 20:53:16

I personally think that books in the Book Club should be easily available and affordable to all (and easily accessible in libraries so there's no cost to those of us who cannot afford to buy books regularly to become members of book clubs).

IMHO £8.99 is very expensive for a book shock am with you there runawayquickly

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Oct-09 11:17:35

Original thinking was not to have it in half term in case people away, but just checking with Tilly if she's ok with us doing straight after half term ie first week of Nov.

Will keep you posted.

Exactly, wanted to avoid half term but Tuesday 3 November just as good - is that better for everyone?

lovechoc, will you be able to join us?

We promise to keep it to paperbacks. This was just a one-off for the Booker Prize month (the proper winner will be announced tonight - listen out for the result on the 10 o clock news).

runawayquickly: I thought libraries would have quite a good stock of The Little Stranger as its been out for a while and very popular, I'm really sorry to hear you're having problems getting a copy. I've checked on a price comparison site and Amazon is the cheapest, Tesco also doing it at £8.49 but charging £2 for delivery. I can send you my copy, if you want to email me your address? I'm absolutely happy to do that.

lovechoc Tue 06-Oct-09 16:03:31

I will try to Tilly, thanks Am waiting on the library getting in touch to let me know when I can pick up the book though, hope I get it in time, if not then I'll have to do next month's so that I can disucuss that. have been wanting to be a member of a book club for ages!!

swift220 Tue 06-Oct-09 19:56:02

I am loving this book, finding it very hard to put down. Looking forward to the chat on 20th october.

vacaloca Tue 06-Oct-09 20:26:00

Oh, I read this a couple of weeks ago and would love to discuss it with someone. In fact I made DH read straightaway so I could talk to him about it but he hasn't finished it yet. Looking forward to this.

Earthymama Wed 07-Oct-09 09:51:52

DP bought me this when it came out. However as I have been trying not to read incessantly in order to hide from real life I haven't opened it yet.

This will be the perfect excuse reason to actually read a book!!

Sad that Sarah Waters missed out on the big prize for the third time - but I guess Hilary Mantel has more than earned it, this one being her eighth novel and all.

Just found Sarah's own website which has a very good Q&A section about how she writes, which writers she love, as well as her top ten ghost stories.

Plus lowdown on the Booker ceremony...

Crystalmom Thu 08-Oct-09 12:37:23

I am still waiting to get my hands on a copy, as it is so popular that every branch of my local library has it out on loan!
I've reserved a copy but taking ages to come in....
Can't afford to buy a copy as am over 7 months preg and all my money going on baby things!

Is anyone else so spooked each time they read that they've begun to jump whenever someone walks in the room?

Am very sorry that there are problems getting copies. The publishers told me they are reprinting like mad to try and keep up with demand.

ParanoiaBigPumkinDestroyer Wed 21-Oct-09 19:44:32

Tilly - I agree this is a seriously creepy book. I started it two nights ago and I'm on page 294 - I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

I'm new to the book group - I think I need to look at previous months' discussions so I can see how it works on the night.

LittleRedCar Wed 21-Oct-09 21:25:51

Well, I wasn't feeling very spooked but I am now (I'm on about page 370) and I am just off up to bed with it now.....grin

Very tempted to peek at the ending - but I won't!

TuttiFrutti Thu 22-Oct-09 17:09:48

Likewise, am very spooked reading this book. On page 243 and loving every minute so far but it's quite creepy...

Have read a couple of other books by Sarah Waters and the paranormal and lunatic asylums are obviously recurring themes of hers.

I'm new to the Book of the Month too - will be interested to see how it works.

LittleRedCar Thu 22-Oct-09 19:54:59

30 pages to go shock

LittleRedCar Thu 22-Oct-09 21:04:08

Oooooh -finished grin

Joekate Fri 23-Oct-09 22:45:19

God, I must be really hard core - I wasn't creeped out at all. I did enjoy reading it and loved the atmospheric feel of the book, but just didn't find it scary at all. Didn't have to put it in the fridge once! shock

TuttiFrutti Tue 27-Oct-09 14:10:39

Have finished. Loved it and can't wait to discuss it next Tuesday. Loved the idea of putting it in the fridge!grin

TLR Wed 28-Oct-09 12:44:49

Hmmmm. I agree - it was difficult to put down but I think overall, I was a touch disappointed. Hope to be around to join in the chat at some point next Tues. It would be interesting to discuss what everyone made of it hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now