And the Orange Prize-shortlisted May Book of the Month is....HOME by Marilynne Robinson

(39 Posts)

Marilynne Robinson's HOME has won our May poll and become Mumsnet's Orange Prize winner.

We'll be chatting about HOME on Tuesday 26 May from 8pm to 10pm. Hope you can join us!

Don't forget you can order your copy here

And, for anyone who missed out on the vote here were May's book choices and this is how Book Club works.

Me too, morningpaper.

I want to be clever like the New Yorker folks. I want to be able to say that it has Melvillean language.

But I haven't read Melville either so I don't even know that that means.

I feel DOUBLE stupid.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-May-09 21:21:14

So do I get some wholly spurious New Yorker kudos then? <hastily conceals fact she skipped the religious bits>

You absolutely get an intellectual high five, religious bits or not...

Looks like it'll be Margaret Atwood for June Book of the Month, will post tomorrow to let everyone know the final result.

Shame that it wasn't a huge success this time round but thanks everyone, as always. Bets now on for whether it will win the Orange Prize (and how much more of a doofus I will feel then for not having thought it brilliant...)

WibblyPigRocks Tue 26-May-09 22:08:30

Having read this thread through, I think I'll get hold of a copy of Gilead at some point and then have another go. If it wins the Orange prize, I'll have to - I won't be able to admit to having given up!!

Hope it is Atwood next month - always fancied reading that one!

Jenbot Fri 29-May-09 11:57:41

I really liked Gilead, thought it was really lovely and would recommend it, but haven't read Home yet.

DutchOma Sat 30-May-09 10:28:36

I read Samantha Harvey's Wilderness which didn't make it to the Book of the Month and thought it was wonderful. Tried all month to get Home from the library (couldn't justify BUYING another book) but they didn't have it. So now I am reading Gilead and am wonderfully thankful to the MN bookclub for recommending such wonderful books wink smile

Cocodrillo Tue 02-Jun-09 17:08:24

I ploughed through to the end of Home and I still think it was crap. I've just borrowed Molly Thingy's Birthday from the library - that sounds more interesting. If Home wins the Orange the judges must be mental. I would have liked to have come and moaned on book club night but was away for half term - maybe the next one, I LOVE Oryx and Crake, one of my all-time faves.

Wheelybug Tue 02-Jun-09 18:31:00

I finished today at last. I quite enjoyed the writing - slow and gentle which i think reflected the town and situation. Ending a bit 'meh' though. Glad I persevered and would buy Gilead if I saw it in a charity shjop/ on offer but wouldn't rush out to buy it.

Duh I thought book club was tonight and it was last week so missed it! Was amazed I got through Home found it really slow going. Last 30 pages were the best, something actually happened! Pleased Oryx and Crake won as I voted for that, better get reading and get date right next time!

Cocodrillo Wed 03-Jun-09 22:40:42

Can't believe it won!

I know! shock Can't believe it either. Dh told me this morning and thought it was hilarious news after watching me wade through it for the past month.

Either we're clueless and don't know a good book when we read one or the judges on these panels have very different ideas to the rest of us. Lots of people will probably buy it now and struggle with it too.

I can see technically that it deserves it, but in pure enjoyment levels I can't quite believe it.

Diversity winning Britain's Got Talent, however, was absolutely right.

So there's justice in the world still.

Cocodrillo Mon 08-Jun-09 21:22:29

Can't quite shake off the feeling that I've missed something: I read Home all the way through, resisting the urge to skip whole chapters, but every single review I've read, and I've read loads now, thinks it's wonderful.

Is the Booker meant to award books that are both an interesting read AND literary fiction? I've often found good reads on that longlist/shortlist, so maybe I'll stick to that in future and avoid the Orange.

I agree re Britain's Got Talent wink. Btw is Amanda boffing Simon Cowell?

KidCreolesCoconut Sun 14-Jun-09 18:22:20

i HATEd this book
who the hell recommended it

I am a staunch mn book club supporter and i gave up half way thoruhg
PLEASe dont let this happen to the next choice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now