100 BOOKS YOUR CHILD MUST READ - what are your nominations?

(318 Posts)

Childhood books stay with you forever. Whether Roald Dahl's dark humour or the derry-do of Hardy Brothers, the earthy anarchy of Stig of the Dump or the magical excitement of The Secret Garden, they have a lasting effect on how you approach the big wide world.

What book do you think children MUST read before they leave home?

And while we're at it, what book should every adult read?

(My children's nomination: The Iron Man by Ted Hughes
My adult nomination: 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

Need a reminder of the all-time classics? This Daily Telegraph list brings back the memories...

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 22-Jan-09 22:19:02

Oh, Ria - I think you may be right. 'Little Women' is no 18 on that list.

[sneaks away, embarrassed]

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:19:16

Rebecca ( fab and very haunting)

GrimbleTheResourceful Thu 22-Jan-09 22:19:50

A book that left a very strong impression on me is Walter Macken's "Island of the Great yellow Ox".

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 22-Jan-09 22:20:35

Ria - that is my favest ever book, so I am not completely without literary taste then?

I am so relieved.

CamelToe Thu 22-Jan-09 22:20:54

list was from,

In April 2003 the BBC's Big Read began the search for the nation's best-loved novel, and we asked you to nominate your favourite books.

dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger dogger

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:22:57

Therese Racquin (sp)

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:23:54

Lightshines which is your favest book? smile

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 22-Jan-09 22:24:43

Victorian - do you have weird sexual tatses or do you mean Shirley Hughes?!

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 22-Jan-09 22:29:22

Ria - Rebecca. I also liked Therese Raquin, I seem to recall a very good TV dramatisation with ..Kate Nelligan?

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:31:42

Rebecca is really great ...Daphne Du Maurier is considered a bit too 'popular culture' to be taken seriously but 'Is that the Northern lights?' and 'Last night I dreamt i went to manderley' SHUDDER!!!

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:32:42

dont remember adaptation (thanks for correcting spelling!)

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:34:04

dp would say duncton wood although not read it myself

LightShinesInTheDarkness Thu 22-Jan-09 22:35:11

Ria (we digress, sorry) if you like DuM, you may enjoy this Daphne

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 22:40:59

Bonjour Tristesse

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 23:09:16

where angels fear to tread

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 23:17:18

for LITTLE children thee was a great thread the other day....

Ingles2 Thu 22-Jan-09 23:20:52

smile
Who are you talking to Ria?

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 23:25:24

fear not Ingles...I am used to it wink

i could stay alone on here all night - quite therapeutic!

Ingles2 Thu 22-Jan-09 23:28:18

you made me lol with your LITTLE children post....
so to digress slightly...bought an aga yet?

shabster Thu 22-Jan-09 23:40:05

Perfect book to read to your baby or young child and then for them to read by themselves is 'Love you forever.' Just a story that goes through the life of a baby through to adulthood. Makes me cry every time I read it. I just gave my much thumbed copy to my first grandchild. Now my firstborn (27 years old) is reading it to his firstborn (7 months old). Perfect book x

RiaParkinson Thu 22-Jan-09 23:58:13

shabster smile

ingles! Just sourcing the finance but pretty much decided on new! I became obsessed with the pie not being central to the aga blush so am going for power flue...dreading whole experience

thanks for all your help btw smile

KerryMumbles Fri 23-Jan-09 01:07:58

Black Beauty
Go Ask Alice
Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Outsiders
Huckleberry Finn

nooka Fri 23-Jan-09 06:22:18

There is no "the book". Each of us will have our own favourites, and what affects one person deeply may leave another person cold. Sometimes it is just about the occassion - even rubbish books can take on personal meaning.

I'd just like my children to read lots of books!

I have about 150 odd children's books in my personal bookcase, books I have read and re-read and held onto over the years, and they are just older children's fiction. We have probably another 50 or so picture books that we are keeping, and the children will have their own favourites too.

I'm not sure I really believe in the concept of "great" fiction. I have loads of favourites, but I am always being reminded of other books that I really enjoyed, and would like to have again, or finding new books that I think are really good.

I've also found reading my favourite books to the children slightly disappointing, because I'm not sure they love them as much as I think they should !

nooka Fri 23-Jan-09 06:30:55

Looking at that list I have read all but nine of the middle years, all but three of the younger years, and about half of the older ones. Maybe I'll read the other half grin I like Michael Morpurgo. There are lots of other books I'd add to his list too though. I don't remember anything influencing me in particular. I've read 61 of the "best books" list. What a strange collection!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now