100 BOOKS YOUR CHILD MUST READ - what are your nominations?

(318 Posts)

Childhood books stay with you forever. Whether Roald Dahl's dark humour or the derry-do of Hardy Brothers, the earthy anarchy of Stig of the Dump or the magical excitement of The Secret Garden, they have a lasting effect on how you approach the big wide world.

What book do you think children MUST read before they leave home?

And while we're at it, what book should every adult read?

(My children's nomination: The Iron Man by Ted Hughes
My adult nomination: 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

Need a reminder of the all-time classics? This Daily Telegraph list brings back the memories...

AlexGG Wed 07-Aug-13 14:34:45

any Roald Dahl book but especially Matilda and The Twits – they were the two that I loved the most.

also teenagers should definitely give Wuthering Heights a go – a much better love triangle than Twilight!

JustAshamed Wed 07-Aug-13 22:28:50

Skulduggery Pleasant series

For first chapter books - all the Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke - brilliant for both boys and girls and give a beautiful and funny insight into African culture with lovely illustrations too.

For older kids - The Dark is Rising series by Suan Cooper - still love these and look forward to DCs being old enough for them.

For adults - very difficult to pick, but have recently enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden and Midnight and the Meaning of Love by Sister Souljah, both for the way they give a view into a different world. Also love everything ever written by Dick Francis - not deep or anything that is going to shift your world view, but the best for pure entertainment value.

Carole803 Mon 12-Aug-13 17:50:03

Anne of green gables. Slightly nauseating, but some lovely ideas on managing some of life's obstacles.

sagfold Wed 14-Aug-13 22:36:19

The Elephant and the Bad Baby.

The Quangle Wangle.

The Book of Beasts.

A Series of Unfortunate Events. Lemony Snickett.

sagfold Wed 14-Aug-13 22:37:03

Arthur's Tractor - a modern classic.

PinkCinderella Wed 11-Sep-13 17:55:50

Shirley Hughes children's books for pre-schoolers
Not sure myself about Roald Dahl - some racist, sexist undertones
Little Pete Stories

Adults - - Muriel Spark is fine and enjoyable writer somewhat underrated I think - but my only advice is read to enjoy and share the delight with your children - read to them often even when they can read for themselves

samlamb Wed 11-Sep-13 22:13:51
Shruti04 Tue 29-Oct-13 11:49:17

Comics book and story books should be read by every child. Now a days, many interesting topics are there for kids that they can get information about that.

Glitterfeet Mon 30-Dec-13 21:35:12

I was going to post that Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo hadn't been mentioned but I see it just has.

buzzy1 Tue 07-Jan-14 21:50:00

The tiger who came to tea, and anything by the Ahlbergs e.g burglar bill

gillygilbank Fri 10-Jan-14 18:09:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

wiltingfast Tue 14-Jan-14 12:21:35

Hmm, seems to me this is just a list of books people liked!

I think the question was what books should your darlings read before they leave home?

ie books that are "good" for them in some way? not sure what qualifies

Maybe we should ask what books and why?

maybe i'm taking this too seriously

DiamondintheRough Fri 24-Jan-14 13:08:25

The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck) made me view my life in much greater perspective.
Jane Eyre is the ultimate feminist icon.

DiamondintheRough Fri 24-Jan-14 13:11:13

As for children's books...

Holes by Louis Sachar is inspiring but subversively anti-authority
And for those children who enjoy a good scare, 'The Deptford Mice' and the 'Whitby Witches' trilogy kept me awake at night, shaking under my duvet. There was a bit of a craze for them end of primary school.

glentorres Wed 29-Jan-14 10:59:52

Molesworth
Kidnapped

are one of the best ones I can advice

Hellefrog Tue 11-Mar-14 08:51:18

Kes is wonderful
Maybe a bit dated, but I'm sure there are still PE teachers who want to be football stars and Mum's who have to leave for work before their kids...

nutcasenan Wed 12-Mar-14 15:24:02

Little Women, yes, yes, yes but Good Wives must be read as an immediate sequel. I have read a multitude of books but never have I gained so much pleasure as from those two books. However, Gone With the Wind, War and Peace and Great Expectations are runners up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now