Non fiction book of the month - The Sex Lives of English Women. Join the discussion and post a question to author Wendy Jones.

(29 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Sep-16 15:16:57

Our September non-fiction book of the month is Wendy Jones' intriguing study of what sex really means to English women today. In this book she delves into the most intimate lives of 24 women from diverse backgrounds. There's Charlotte, the 43 year old gynaecologist, Samantha the 28 year old burlesque dancer, Olive the 35 year old nun and Mary the 94 year old ("I was absolute trollope when I was a landgirl"). Each interviewee opens up and detail the most intimate details of their sex lives and fantasies. The result is a fascinating read.

If you fancy reading The Sex Lives of English Women apply for a free copy - We have 50 up for grabs - then come back to this thread and let us know what you thought. Author Wendy Jones (also biographer of Grayson Perry - Portrait of an Artist) will be taking Qs about the book, so do post up your questions here before the end of September.

HelenaDove Fri 09-Sep-16 20:03:24

Just submitted my request.

Thankyou.

ButtercupsArePurple Fri 09-Sep-16 21:56:36

I've requested a copy 😃

I'm Scottish, do you guys do it differently over the border? confused

Gingeete Sat 10-Sep-16 13:11:55

Applied

MrFMercury Sat 10-Sep-16 13:29:51

Ooo yes please. I seem to have misplaced my own sex life....

faceremovinghaircream Sat 10-Sep-16 15:03:55

Love this kind of thing, yes please!

Therewere5inthebed Sat 10-Sep-16 17:49:51

Just requested a copy.

Candlefairy101 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:11:52

Oh interesting, I have been with the same man since I was at school, I'm 26 but starting to feel like a child compared to my friends when they talk about their sex life blush also maybe going through a breakup not sure confused but too scared to even think about being with someone else because I only have my own experiences. This book will be a fab read for me x

Ginkypig Sat 10-Sep-16 21:17:17

Submit my request.
Looking forward to reading it if I'm chosen!

I always like books that contain real people sharing their real lives and views, it makes you see the vast differences between people and because of that it makes you realise that you can never judge somone because we arnt all the same.

Ginkypig Sat 10-Sep-16 21:17:45

Submitted blush

MrsSippy Sun 11-Sep-16 15:35:40

Sounds very interesting

Submitted an application

PhoenixRisingSlowly Sun 11-Sep-16 16:11:05

Oh goodness, I'd absolutely love to read this, I was looking at it in my local bookshop the other day and it looked intriguing. Have applied smile

kelashan Sun 11-Sep-16 20:49:36

Just submitted fingers crossed x

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Sep-16 11:02:19

The book giveaway has now closed and we'll be contacting all those who have been allocated books before the end of the week. If you haven't been lucky this time, then do buy a copy of the book so you can join in the discussion*

All questions to author Wendy Jones should be submitted by Sunday 16th October and we'll upload Wendy's answers the following week.

Update Serpent's Tail are offering 40% off The Sex Lives of English women plus free P&P. Enter MUMSNET40 in the shopping cart screen before proceeding to checkout. The offer is open until 31 October.

Ginkypig Wed 14-Sep-16 18:24:36

Hi.

How will people be contacted?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Sep-16 10:47:22

Ginkypig

Hi.

How will people be contacted?

All those who have been allocated books have been notified by email this morning (sorry for the delay). If you haven't been lucky, do have a look at the Serpent's Tail offer as this makes the book much cheaper than Amazon smile.

MrFMercury Fri 16-Sep-16 10:58:57

Thank you Mumsnet (my DH says thank you too. I think he hopes reading the book will remind me to locate my sex drive :D)

aristocat Fri 16-Sep-16 11:45:33

smile Thank You so much, the book arrived before my email!
Will get started on reading asap .....

GraciesMansion Fri 16-Sep-16 16:36:50

Book arrived, thank you! Will start reading later.

IggyPopsicle Fri 16-Sep-16 19:11:43

Thankyou, I received my copy today grin I am just about to get started...

ElizabethMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Sep-16 16:04:14

I absolutely loved this book and thought it was very empowering to read. The women don't just talk about their sex lives but everything, such as their family and experiences which brought them towards thinking about sex the way that they do. Would definitely recommend.

SilverMachine Mon 19-Sep-16 18:52:42

Thank you, I have received my copy.

I'm away overnight for work tomorrow so looking forward to reading this in my hotel room where there are no distractions!

MrFMercury Fri 23-Sep-16 18:20:15

The email telling me I'd be getting a copy and the physical book arrived at almost the same time which is a first smile
I loved this book, one of my favourite reads of the year. I loved that we were only given a tiny bit of context at the start of each story and that Jones allowed the women to tell their stories in their own ways. The tag line on the front lead me to expect a Q&A style book but it benefited from not being one. It takes a certain something as a writer to remove yourself so much too so kudos Wendy for that.

Each woman is so open and honest, in a way I've rarely heard friends be. Some stories felt very familiar and it was comforting to find aspects of my own experiences validated and to feel understood. Some stories are full of very difficult events, traumatic memories of lifestyles and world views that feel totally alien to me but presented as they are I was fascinated not repelled or upset. It feels important to me that that these woman have chosen to share their innermost thoughts and intimate life then the least I can do as a reader is respect that.

I'm not really sure what I expected when I first opened the book. To gain some tips maybe or perhaps even to read something titillating. Instead I'm left considering my own experience, reaction to my body and sexuality.

tworonnies1957 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:40:06

am really in two minds over this book are the people interviewed in it real or not and if they are real are they telling you what you want to hear or what they hope there sex life could of been or what they hope will happen one day, if you was asked the same questions would you turn round say its been crap most of the time or just make some think up too make one self look good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now