Girl In the Band - Kim Gordon - Non-fiction book of the month. Apply for a free copy and post a Q to Sonic Youth singer Kim Gordon

(104 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Jan-16 15:15:08

In response to requests for more non-fiction, we've decided to resurrect Non-fiction book of the month and will be bringing you a host of great non-fiction book giveaways to read, discuss and when possible the opportunity to engage with the author. To kick off we're delighted to offer you the chance to grab a copy of Kim Gordon's brilliant memoir Girl in a Band

Find out more about the book and apply for a free copy, then come back and discuss the book and put your questions to Kim on this thread. We'll be sending up to 15 questions over to her on 22nd Feb and we'll post up her answers to this thread in early March.

MrFMercury Wed 27-Jan-16 14:26:01

Ooh fabulous choice MN smile I've been wanting to read this one for a while

Sadik Thu 28-Jan-16 17:47:35

Me too smile

MegBusset Sat 30-Jan-16 15:44:08

Great idea - I've been meaning to read this since it came out.

I have some v fond memories of Sonic Youth. smile

'Drunken Butterfly' my favourite.

DoctorTwo Mon 01-Feb-16 11:15:43

I loved The Whitey album. specially Into The Groovey.

BustyDeLaGhetto Mon 01-Feb-16 11:38:50

Signing up. Lovely sunshine memories of Sonic Youth from when I was a teen.

stareatthetvscreen Mon 01-Feb-16 11:51:02

signing up too - fab smile

HeyMacWey Mon 01-Feb-16 11:51:24

Brilliant - sonic youth were massively influential in my life when I was growing up.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Feb-16 12:10:04

I was in awe of Kim when I was growing up. Love Sonic Youth, we saw you at Reading in the early 90s. Creme Brulee was my favourite. Though I still can't figure out the lyrics. It doesn't matter. smile

Thank you for some beautiful music.

ClarenceTheLion Mon 01-Feb-16 12:44:57

I was in awe of Kim Gordon as a teenager. She was (and is) so effortlessly cool. I played Teen Age Riot to death.

2ManySweets Mon 01-Feb-16 13:09:10

I'd love to get my hands on this book heaviest hint ever

Second DoctorTwo - Into the Groovey is a masterpiece, and the whole Whitey Album inspiring.

I remember my bewilderment at picking up "Screaming Fields of Sonic Love" about 18 years ago, putting it into the CD player and the number of tracks displaying as "01".

I enjoyed that record - my mum didn't grin

Devilishpyjamas Mon 01-Feb-16 13:18:18

Reminds me of being 18 <deep sigh>

CowPatRoberts Mon 01-Feb-16 13:51:50

This is exciting!! What do we have to do.

Eugh Kim Gordon grin

furrymuff Mon 01-Feb-16 14:02:27

Oh Kim Gordon is just so cool, I've had this book on my Amazon wish list for ages - would love a free copy! 100% was part of the soundtrack of my teenage years and I still play it often now, their sound was just so different!

TyrannosaurusBex Mon 01-Feb-16 14:37:18

But I have more than 15 questions all by my very own self!!!

Kingfisherfree Mon 01-Feb-16 15:06:37

I was totally inspired by Kim Gordon in my late teenage years. Sonic Youth were just beyond cool and were played on a loop in my student digs.

I even named my daughter after her and my other favourite Kim Deal! grin

Thanks for the memories Kim!

Kingfisherfree Mon 01-Feb-16 15:08:31

And yes this book has been on my Amazon wishlist for too long. I was waiting for the price to drop a bit!wink

RobEastaway Mon 01-Feb-16 15:47:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Feb-16 15:50:03

CowPatRoberts

This is exciting!! What do we have to do.

Eugh Kim Gordon grin

Hey there, apply for a free copy of the book here. We're also inviting everyone (whether or not you receive a free copy) to post up their Qs to Kim G before 22nd February and then we'll post up her answers to 15 questions in early March. The giveaway closes tomorrow so do apply soonest.

Northernexile Mon 01-Feb-16 16:14:29

Ooh I had missed this. I love Kim and would like to take part. I've filled in the form- hope I'm not too late. I grew up wanting to be a girl in a band. Sadly a distinct lack of musical talent got in my way...

FelliniMartini Mon 01-Feb-16 17:05:40

Kim's a legend! I'm currently struggling with finding a good balance between homelife and professional creative life...she always seemed to get it right. I would love to read her story.

Ughnotagain Mon 01-Feb-16 18:13:21

Oh hell yes. Kim Gordon is such a hero of mine.

VocationalGoat Mon 01-Feb-16 22:05:10

Sonic Youth was my official soundtrack from the late 80s into the 90s. I am sure I moved to New York because of the band's influence on me culturally. What great songs they wrote... and Kim Gordon was and remains one of my idols.
I saw them live in '92 and still wear the concert t-shirt to bed! grin

LovelyFriend Tue 02-Feb-16 17:53:06

Oh
No only just saw this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now