THIS ISN'T THE SORT OF THING THAT HAPPENS TO SOMEONE LIKE YOU: Jon McGregor is book club guest author on Tues 16 April, 9-10pm

(134 Posts)

Our March Book of the Month is a short story collection that highlights the tremendous power and beauty of this form of fiction. THIS ISN'T THE SORT OF THING THAT HAPPENS TO SOMEONE LIKE YOU is set in a bleak, Fenland landscape where everyday lives are acted out in quiet communities. Every one of the thirty tales is completely different, with a unique voice. All the characters seem to be threatened in some way; some manage to find peace, some are thrust further into danger.

Twice nominated for the Man Booker Prize and winner of numerous awards, Jon McGregor is a particularly skillful and distinctive writer. His style is strange, mysterious, authentic, unusual and poetic. Reading the book is like holding a delicate yet devastating crystal ball, containing strange, shape-shifting visions of the lives of others. Linda Grant put it best, in her Financial Times review: McGregor is the contemporary master of lives lived in what the Irish call a small way, and the belief, which is literature's, that we are all poetic.'

You can find more details on our March book of the month page.

You can get your paperback or Kindle version of the book here.

And don't miss the insider knowledge on all Jon's work, his BBC Short Story Awards and who he considers to be a ground-breaking British writer at his excellent website or you can follow him on Twitter: @jon_mcgregor

We are thrilled that Jon will be answering questions about THIS ISN'T THE SORT OF THING THAT HAPPENS TO SOMEONE LIKE YOU, his previous books and his writing career on Tuesday 16 April, 9-10pm. So please feel free to discuss the book here throughout the month and then come and join in the author chat on Tues 16.

Looking forward to hearing what you think...

Mspontipine Tue 16-Apr-13 22:16:57

I'm still here - night. Thanks for coming on here - it was super to meet you - as it were smile

xx

pillowcase Tue 16-Apr-13 22:17:10

Thanks Jon

Calypso2 Tue 16-Apr-13 22:18:45

Thanks Jon (and mumsnet) for great webchat.

wordfactory Tue 16-Apr-13 22:19:48

Still here too.
Thank you so much for answering...

Will check your website re Even the Dogs. Ammunition when I tell my students how important choice of structure can be, that it's not something to be afraid of...

You deserve an extra thank you for picking up on an overlooked question...

I'm looking forward to reading your other three books. It has been such a pleasure to have you here.

Good night.

Pinkbatrobi Wed 17-Apr-13 01:05:17

Oh damn busted damn I forgot! Really sorry to have missed this! I will go back and read the thread properly now but just wanted to say how sorry I am to have missed it and thank you to Jon for answering the questions. It looks as if he's been really thorough with the answers so really looking forward to reading it all. But how stupid am I? :-((

gailforce1 Wed 17-Apr-13 08:14:50

Thanks to MN and Tilly I thought that this was one of the best MN bookclub chats. Jon has given me many new authors check out so it does'nt look like my "to read" pile will diminish any time soon!! And I have Remarkable Things to look forward to..

Puddlelane Wed 17-Apr-13 09:25:04

What a wonderful webchat! What an interesting man!
Oh dear my Amazon account is going to get a hit very soon... now where is DH's credit card?

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 22-Apr-13 10:18:36

In afraid I gave up on this one. I just couldn't get into it.

Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now