Join Jeffrey Eugenides to talk about our April Book of the Month, THE MARRIAGE PLOT, on Thurs 3 May, 9-10pm

(132 Posts)

'To start with, look at all the books'. So begins the very first sentence in our April Book of the Month, THE MARRIAGE PLOT by Jeffrey Eugenides. And books are everywhere in this novel: Victorian love stories, literary theories, philosophical tracts, holy scripture and all sorts of writing in between.

It is 1982, and three undergraduates are about to leave Brown University. Madeleine, an idealistic and romantic English Literature addict, is infatuated with Leonard, her mercurial and scientific boyfriend. Meanwhile, theology student Mitchell is convinced that he and Madeleine are destined to be together. Full of idealism and ideas, all three embark on a journey of discovery that reveals adult life is definitely no fairy tale - nor a classic Jane Austen novel.

THE MARRIAGE PLOT crammed with energy and intelligence; it makes you think big and bold. But more than that, it is funny, warm, tender and understanding. Eugenides' writing is seemingly effortless; it amuses and beguiles and thoroughly entertains. And it is full of those small, telling details that are perfect in their perception of human emotion, and in understanding the fallibility of human nature. A true modern classic.

You can find out more at our book of the month page, and read an interview with Eugenides here.

4th Estate have 50 copies of the book to give away to Mumsnetters. To claim yours, please go to the book of the month page and fill in your details.

We'll post on the thread when all the copies have been sent out but if you're not lucky enough to bag one of those, you can always get your paperback or Kindle version here.

We're delighted that Jeffrey Eugenides will be joining us to talk about THE MARRIAGE PLOT, and his other novels, on Thursday 3 May, 9-10pm.

Whether you've read this book, previous books, or just want to ask him how he started writing, come along and join in.

Meanwhile, do keep posting your thoughts and any advance questions on this thread.

Looking forward to it...

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-May-12 23:31:48

Goodnight!

Thanks so much for all your answers, we got there despite shades of Madeleine and Mitchell - timing all awry.

We'll look forward to your short stories and next novel (as patiently as possible).

Thank you again.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-May-12 23:33:52

I'm still here..when we announce the new book of the month, we are lucky enough to get a number of copies in to the office and never before has there been such a buzz about a book as this month - and lots of us new to your novels (like someone else, I;m also reading your novels in reverse). One thing: NancyMumsnet is a HUGE fan of yours and you seem to have mixed up the answer to her question. Any chance you can go back and answer her question?

JeffreyEugenides Thu 03-May-12 23:53:08

RachelMumsnet

I'm still here..when we announce the new book of the month, we are lucky enough to get a number of copies in to the office and never before has there been such a buzz about a book as this month - and lots of us new to your novels (like someone else, I;m also reading your novels in reverse). One thing: NancyMumsnet is a HUGE fan of yours and you seem to have mixed up the answer to her question. Any chance you can go back and answer her question?

I thought I did, but here it is again:

I’m often asked this question but I never know the answer. It must have something to do with my own experience growing up, some kind of vividness and mystery that I both enjoy revisiting and try to describe or explain. I haven’t had any kind of special education in “teenage sexuality” but I did engaged in my own experiments at the time, like most everyone else, and the memory lingers. I’m not talking about sex so much as about feeling, feeling so intensely about things, as one does in youth. All your senses are keen then and everything that happens in happening for the first time.

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 09:11:37

So sorry I missed this - although so it seems did Jeffrey...Had a meeting couldn't escape from.

Love it that you missed it Jeffrey, just the sort of thing I would have done.

Still love you very much!

minimuffin Fri 04-May-12 10:00:32

I'm not sure if you'll be checking back into this thread, but thank you so much for your answer Jeffrey. I was reading last night, but on my iphone so typing too unreliable and slow to join in. My knowledge of the classics is sadly lacking but you have reminded me why (as my amazing English lit teacher tried to tell us repeatedly) they are at the root of every story. I will get round to it one day - so much to read, so little time! In an age when everyone seemingly is being encouraged to put pen to paper you are reminder of what a true writer is, how to do it properly and why it's important. Take as long as you like to write the next one, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, but hearing about your writing process is interesting. Can't wait read The Marriage Plot now that I know more what it is about - I was just thinking about my first teenage love the other day, strangely, and how my experience of it (unrequited) has affected all the relationships I have had since in some way. And yes, the intensity of those teenage years is not to be treated lightly... Will try to handle my sons with care when they get to that age!

judithann Fri 04-May-12 22:33:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Teaddict Tue 08-May-12 21:26:33

"de-kooning teeth" - something like this perhaps?

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/arts/a-mix-fear-and-pleasure

Is it just me or is this a really obscure reference?! Oh well, you learn something new every day. Thanks MN bookclub...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now