Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Join Jeffrey Eugenides to talk about our April Book of the Month, THE MARRIAGE PLOT, on Thurs 3 May, 9-10pm

(132 Posts)

'To start with, look at all the books'. So begins the very first sentence in our April Book of the Month, THE MARRIAGE PLOT by Jeffrey Eugenides. And books are everywhere in this novel: Victorian love stories, literary theories, philosophical tracts, holy scripture and all sorts of writing in between.

It is 1982, and three undergraduates are about to leave Brown University. Madeleine, an idealistic and romantic English Literature addict, is infatuated with Leonard, her mercurial and scientific boyfriend. Meanwhile, theology student Mitchell is convinced that he and Madeleine are destined to be together. Full of idealism and ideas, all three embark on a journey of discovery that reveals adult life is definitely no fairy tale - nor a classic Jane Austen novel.

THE MARRIAGE PLOT crammed with energy and intelligence; it makes you think big and bold. But more than that, it is funny, warm, tender and understanding. Eugenides' writing is seemingly effortless; it amuses and beguiles and thoroughly entertains. And it is full of those small, telling details that are perfect in their perception of human emotion, and in understanding the fallibility of human nature. A true modern classic.

You can find out more at our book of the month page, and read an interview with Eugenides here.

4th Estate have 50 copies of the book to give away to Mumsnetters. To claim yours, please go to the book of the month page and fill in your details.

We'll post on the thread when all the copies have been sent out but if you're not lucky enough to bag one of those, you can always get your paperback or Kindle version here.

We're delighted that Jeffrey Eugenides will be joining us to talk about THE MARRIAGE PLOT, and his other novels, on Thursday 3 May, 9-10pm.

Whether you've read this book, previous books, or just want to ask him how he started writing, come along and join in.

Meanwhile, do keep posting your thoughts and any advance questions on this thread.

Looking forward to it...

juneybean Fri 30-Mar-12 12:42:59

Virgin Suicides is on my to read list, but a friend read Middlesex and wasn't sure what to make of it. This one sounds interesting.

DarrowbyEightFive Fri 30-Mar-12 13:13:39

Ooh, the next meeting of my book club (discussing Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending) will be in the SAME ROOM where Jeffrey apparently wrote Middlesex (back room of a bar called Felsenkeller in Berlin). I would love to know if that rumour is true, or just being spread by the cafe's owners to increase literary trade.

dublinrose37 Fri 30-Mar-12 17:10:12

This will be my first time reading any of his books...looking forward to it [smile]

milly4564 Fri 30-Mar-12 20:47:39

Hi, I'm a newbie to the book club, but have already downloaded the book and have started reading, hooked already smile

Belo Mon 02-Apr-12 08:33:17

I loved Middlesex! I've often read the books for bookclub, but not once yet been able to join in the discussion. Will try and do this one.

How do I apply for one of the free books?

Belo Mon 02-Apr-12 08:55:30

Ignore previous question. Just re-read thread!

I have read Virgin Suicides and Middlesex. Loved both of them. Can't wait to read this.

dogindisguise Mon 02-Apr-12 19:23:50

I had this from the library and very much enjoyed it. It's a shame he only produces a novel once every nine years!

suzannened Wed 04-Apr-12 17:16:50

I loved Middlesex & have just finished The Marriage Plot. Now I need to read Virgin Suicides. Looking forward to the discussion

Cessj Wed 04-Apr-12 20:31:54

Liked Virgin Suicides....
Fell in love with Eugenides after reading Middlesex - what effortless but so layered writing. Have yet to read The Marriage Plot but its on my A......n wishlist waiting for DH to notice (thankfully he checks my wish list often) so hopefully will soon receive this.
Darrowbyeightfive...just finished reading Sense of an Ending...all I can say is that its a nice story with great turn of phrases and in many ways got the era spot on..but can't help feeling disappointed ..did I miss something...struggling to understand why it won the Booker???

hippy99 Thu 05-Apr-12 13:45:29

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Can't wait to get started.

ProfCoxWouldGetIt Mon 09-Apr-12 17:25:36

Has anyone had their copy yet?

NoraHelmer Tue 10-Apr-12 07:58:08

Not here yet, but probably some time this week?

MsNorbury Tue 10-Apr-12 08:01:08

I'd like my copy too

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:21:23

We're just chasing to see when the books should arrive and will post up as soon as we hear back.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Apr-12 12:06:25

Have just heard back from 4th Estate that the books have all been sent out so should be with you soon. Let us know when they start to arrive. Although it's a fairly lengthy novel it's v compelling, so you should still have time to read before Jeffrey joins us on May 3rd.

ProfCoxWouldGetIt Tue 10-Apr-12 12:23:17

Thanks Rachel, just finished my current book this morning, so looking forward to a new read smile

mumof4teens Fri 13-Apr-12 10:15:09

Just received my copy, thank you! grin

kandinskysgirl Fri 13-Apr-12 11:23:55

Just got mine...about to dive in now

NoraHelmer Fri 13-Apr-12 12:36:24

Mine arrived this morning, thank you. Good timing as I'm about to finish my current book smile

AlmaMartyr Fri 13-Apr-12 12:45:14

Mine arrived this morning just as I started packing for holiday. I'll look forward to reading it while I'm away.

ProfCoxWouldGetIt Fri 13-Apr-12 13:44:52

Woohoo - DP informs me that my copy has arrived, just in time as we go away tomorrow smile

yUMMYmUMMYb Fri 13-Apr-12 16:22:38

Got mine. Thanks :-)

Hope you're all enjoying the book. I just thought I'd remind everyone that the webcaht is on THURSDAY 3RD MAY, slightly different timings to our usual Tuesday.

And please feel free to discuss the book and put up questions in advance - it means we can pack a few more into our hour as the author has time to prepare and posts a bit quicker...

See you on 3rd May, can't wait. Very very thrilled about this one.

coni336 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:40:37

Got mine too, its soooo nice to receive a brand new book in the post!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now