Harlan Coben - do you like his books ?

(12 Posts)
peeriebear Fri 15-Apr-11 17:27:42

I have read a few- No second Chance, Just One Look, Tell No One? possibly a few others. Well written but all have the same 'huge twist' formula so you can see it coming from miles away.

hocuspontas Fri 15-Apr-11 17:26:53

The Win bit was a totally weak way to get out of a twisty bit imo.

grumpypants Fri 15-Apr-11 17:25:13

I hated Caught, because it features Win, but a really diferent version of Win - lovely and gentle to his one night stand and totally not at all as he is portrayed in the MB series.

neverontime Fri 15-Apr-11 14:37:11

i really enjoyed all the harlen coben books i've read, but i dont think i've read caught.

hocuspontas Fri 15-Apr-11 14:28:04

I didn't enjoy Caught. His non-Myron Bolitar books are hit and miss.

MollysChambers Fri 15-Apr-11 14:16:18

I have only read one of his books - name escapes me. It was okay. Haven't gone back for more though.

Jaydles Fri 15-Apr-11 14:12:05

I have read a few of them including Tell No One but they do seem to all have the same type of story, definitely agree they are a beach read. My favourite crime writer is Mark Billingham they have been showing some of his in tv form on sky one, I haven't watched them though. I think Sleepyhead was the most recent.

blueshoes Fri 15-Apr-11 12:04:40

Yes. He is the only crime fiction writer I have not ditched in recent years. But I no longer have time to read anyway ...

grumpypants Fri 15-Apr-11 11:18:58

I love his Myron Bolitar series, and read all of them. The others, not so much.

eggspectantmum Fri 15-Apr-11 11:16:30

I find him OK on the basis of having read 3 or 4. Would categorise as a beach read.

Similar but bit better in my opinion are Scott Turow & Sara Paretsky if you haven't tried them.

Feenie Fri 15-Apr-11 11:14:35

Enjoyed a couple by him (Tell No one and one with a title about woods?) then started to find him quite formulaic - same with Jodi Picoult.

sparkle1977 Fri 15-Apr-11 11:03:39

I have just finished reading "Caught" by Harlan Coben and to be honest I was not impressed and probably won't try any others by that author.

It did keep me hanging on and on and there was a certain level of suspense but the ending was just not exciting/shocking enough.

What do others think of this author ? Is it worth trying another book by him ? (Assuming its a him!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now