Join Allison Pearson to talk about I THINK I LOVE YOU - our April Book of the Month - on Tuesday 19 April, 8-9pm

(67 Posts)

Our April Book of the Month will have you swooning, mooning and kissing your pillow for practice. I THINK I LOVE YOU by Allison Pearson (author of the seminal bestseller I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT) is a homage to the teenage crush, and the maelstrom of adolescent emotion that goes with it. Witty, observant and moving, this beautifully nostalgic novel also explores female friendship and the mother/daughter relationship. Whether you dreamt of being Mrs Cassidy, Mrs Le Bon or Mrs Adam Ant, it's a book that'll keep you smiling all day.

You can find out more about the book here.

We are delighted that Allison will be joining us on Tuesday 19 April, 8-9 pm, for the bookclub discussion - look forward to seeing you all there...

sakura Thu 24-Mar-11 05:11:00

I thought I don't know How She Does It was absolutely brilliant, so I'm sure I think I LOve You is just as good smile

AlmaMartyr Thu 24-Mar-11 07:31:01

Do you mean that Vintage are offering 50 copies of 'I Think I Love You' rather than 'The Slap'?

Sounds like a good read

NancyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 09:22:30

Oops - yes it is 50 copies of 'I Think I Love You'! We've fixed that mistake now

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 09:29:55
gramercy Thu 24-Mar-11 13:45:46

My first crush...

I bought a copy of FAB 208 at a service station on a school trip to Coventry Cathedral, because there was a David Cassidy poster in it. I was only 9 !! Other highlights of the trip were Nicola Miller being sick on the coach.

Greenshadow Thu 24-Mar-11 14:16:14

Was more of a Donny Osmond than David Cassidy fan, but am looking forward to the book bringing back lots of memories.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 14:23:47

Yowzer, that was quick! All 50 copies have been snapped up. So congrats if you're one of the lucky ones, and commiserations if you're not. But please beg, borrow or buy a copy and join Allison on the 19th.

MrsKwazii Thu 24-Mar-11 17:32:11

Oooh, managed to find a hardback copy of this in my charity shop today for one whole pound! Looking forward to reading it and getting into another great chat grin

Sister to Mrs Le Bon and Mrs Michael (they wished!)

CointreauVersial Thu 24-Mar-11 19:34:18

I picked this up in the library a couple of months back - a really good read, gets the thumbs up from me.

She was interviewed on the radio by Simon Mayo; DH listened with half an ear, not making the connection til afterwards that it was the author of the very book I'd been raving about all week. Annoyed I missed it!

Wheelybug Thu 24-Mar-11 20:40:24

Just received this through the post (bought with Waterstones loyalty points) but just realised I'm away for the chat. Oh well...

YottyTotty Fri 25-Mar-11 12:32:44

I loved IDKHSDI, but I've just seen that it's being made into a movie in the US, starring Sarah Jessica Parker.

In my head that's all wrong, it's such a London-centric story and 'English' relationship, what does Alison feel about that?

rookiemater Fri 25-Mar-11 16:59:43

I can't bring myself to read it, "I don't know how she does it" is my favourite book and I don't really fancy the plot of "I think I love you". So I'm afraid my question is about the former blush. Does Allison feel that choices and options for women have moved on since she wrote it?

80sMum Sat 26-Mar-11 18:29:26

I'm reading "I think I love You" at the moment. Will be interesting to hear what others think.

CarmenSales Mon 28-Mar-11 10:06:44

Yes!

Greenshadow Wed 06-Apr-11 14:11:54

Free book arrived here today - thanks very much Mumsnet and Vintage Books.

Perfect timing as I finished my last book last night.

gramercy Thu 07-Apr-11 09:19:22

My book arrived today - thanks so much!

In fact whilst clearing out the garage at the weekend I found "Daydreamer" (double A side with The Puppy Song) which was the first single I bought. Ah, the breathy voice...

Galaxymum Thu 07-Apr-11 09:27:11

I was so excited yesterday when my free book arrived. Thank you very much! Really enjoying it so far - it feels all too familiar! Very funny but also very poignant.

LawrieMarlow Fri 08-Apr-11 21:38:40

I found this in a charity shop yesterday so got it

rattie77 Mon 11-Apr-11 22:14:31

Just finished reading i think I love you - and have to say it was brilliant. Alison really captured what it was like to be a teenage girl in the 70's and the memories came flooding back. It even sparked the old brain cells into remembering things I had long forgotten such as Linco Beer shampoo and Anne French Cleansing Milk. A really great read - recommended.

ExitPursuedByALamb Tue 12-Apr-11 16:42:02

Not read her books but I do read Alison's column in The DT so will add them to my list of books to read.

Did anyone see David Cassidy on the One Show last night? He seems to have lost the plot completely.

I'm so enjoying going to bed with this book every night, it's replaced the hot water bottle as my favourite accessory.

It's time to start collecting advance questions so if you've a burning request or you can't make it on the night, please pop your questions here now...

bringmesunshine2009 Thu 14-Apr-11 16:46:04

"I don't know how she does it" is one of my favourite books. I downloaded "I think I love you" with interest. I liked the writing style, but have to say I coulsn't relate to the book enough to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

SpringHeeledJack Thu 14-Apr-11 21:41:45

Hi Allison, I'm far too young to relate to the subject matter of ITILY <coughbyabouttwoyearscough> but I read IDNHSDI at least once a year when racked with insomnia

It has left such an impression on me (as a lazy cow) that my sister and I are thinking of making companion volumes- mine provisionally titled "I Don't Know What She Does All Day" and my sister's "I Don't Know What We Pay Her For"

smile

gailforce1 Fri 15-Apr-11 13:45:15

Is anyone else struggling to get into this book club choice? I am a few pages into chapter 6 and I am just not inspired. Can't work out why not? I am normally an avid reader and have enjoyed Room and The Slap although disappointed with Trespass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now