Join EMMA DONOGHUE to talk about the Booker-shortlisted ROOM - our February Book of the Month - on Weds 16 February, 8-9pm

(257 Posts)

Our February Book of the Month shot to international bestsellerdom as soon as it was published in August 2010. ROOM by Emma Donoghue has been shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize and won the Hughes & Hughes Irish Novel of the Year. It has also been a finalist for International Author of the Year (Galaxy National Book Awards). 

We've also got a very special giveaway this month - the extremely generous Picador peeps are giving Mumsnetters 500 exclusive free copies of ROOM so quickly head to Picador's website to claim yours before they all get snatched up. There's also a taster chapter and interviews to whet your appetite.

We are delighted that Emma will be joining us on Wednesday February 16, 8-9 pm for the bookclub discussion - look forward to seeing you all there...

And you can read further interviews, watch trailers and get all the reviews for ROOM at Emma's website or you can also read the Booker Prize website's interview with Emma to find out more

sephrenia Tue 18-Jan-11 16:49:56

I've signed up too. I really hope I get a copy, I've been wanting to read it for ages!

pipsy76 Tue 18-Jan-11 19:56:42

Ooh as there are only 26 posts on this thread are we in with a chance of a freebie? smile

Mspontipine Tue 18-Jan-11 20:57:13

Done

Mumwithadragontattoo Wed 19-Jan-11 10:05:21

I've signed up too. Really hope I get a copy!

I think you are all in with an excellent chance of a freebie, with 500 copies to go round... and yes, we're planning to do a few more free books bonanzas throughout the year, will keep you posted on those.

Hope to see you all tomorrow eve 8pm for the Rose Tremain chat - even if you haven't read TRESPASS feel free to join in with questions about creative writing/previous books/etc. Everyone welcome...

Nonnatus Wed 19-Jan-11 19:56:07

I can't fill in the form - the boxes jump - so I guess I have missed out on this one....

me23 Fri 21-Jan-11 14:20:15

I read this a few months ago, it's a good read.

Tortington Fri 21-Jan-11 14:26:53

i read it a while ago - couldnt put it down

ghosteditor Fri 21-Jan-11 14:49:06

I actually love this book! If anyone local is interested, Emma Donahue will be speaking at an event organised by the Woodstock Bookshop on February 8th at 7pm. Woodstock is just north of Oxford. More info at http://www.woodstockbookshop.co.uk/

I will be there!

Cyb Fri 21-Jan-11 14:49:06

I loved it.A strange book that stayed with me for a long time and made me think

loujay Fri 21-Jan-11 15:02:46

Just finished this. Fantastically written book. Bookmarking the webchat!!

I'm intrigued - but for £2.80 I've downloaded it to my Kindle grin so passing up the freebie.

tgifandgandttime Sat 22-Jan-11 19:22:08

also, looking forward to ED at Tonbridge Library Thu 17 Feb www.whatsoninkentlocal.com/all/details/20332/ Enjoyed Room - belonged to South East Regional Book Group that shadowed Man Booker Prize, so read all shortlisted books - fantastic reading experience

Wilts Sat 22-Jan-11 22:36:13

Ohh this was the first book I put on my kindle today. I am looking forward to reading it.

FortunateHamster Sun 23-Jan-11 01:11:55

Read this on Kindle via my iPhone - great book (at a cheap price).

Though wondering whether the cheap Kindle editions affect the author royalty?

Anyway it's a good read, unless a five-year-old narrator is likely to annoy you.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 23-Jan-11 15:40:09

What Cyb said - I read in a day....

thunderbird69 Sun 23-Jan-11 16:18:35

comewhinewithme - me too! I'm guessing it was the same part of the book too.

Fantastic book.

DaftApeth Sun 23-Jan-11 16:24:27

I signed up for this book ages ago. When are the books being sent out? Did anyone get a confirmation email? Bit worried that as I have heard and received nothing, that my details did not go through.

Oh God comewhine and thunderbird - the heart pounding bit - I read it so fast I could hardly breathe! I had to re-read it the next morning to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I'm about half way through now, its a fantastic book.

Wilts Sun 23-Jan-11 22:29:35

I have not been able to put this down this evening and have just finished it( speedy reader) . Great book, I would certainly recommend it.

heymammy Mon 24-Jan-11 12:51:10

Got this book on saturday for my birthday <twirls> and had finished it by Sunday! Completely unputdownable (is that even a word grin), brilliant story.

I am happy to forward my copy on to someone else for free if you want to pm me. It's not the sort of book I would re-read so happy to part with it.

PipPipPip Mon 24-Jan-11 15:33:34

Fantastic book - I also whipped through it in about 36 hours, heart pounding.

DaftApeth Mon 24-Jan-11 15:55:29

Hey mammy, I have messages you grin

ivykaty44 Mon 24-Jan-11 19:46:33

I purchased this book last Thursday as part of a three for two offer, finished the book n saturday as I couldn't eek it out any longer smile it was heart pounding!

An excellent read and something very different which was well written.

Have applied for free tickets when Emma Donoghue comes to our local bookshop.

heymammy Mon 24-Jan-11 20:47:16

Got your message and replied Daft grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now