Join Rose Tremain to talk about TRESPASS - our Book of the Month - on Thur 20 Jan, 8pm

(96 Posts)

A date for your brand new diaries...

We've chosen TRESPASS by Rose Tremain as our January book of the month.

It's a thrilling novel about disputed territory, sibling love and devastating revenge, by the bestselling author of (amongst many others) The Road Home (winner of the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction) and Restoration (shortlisted for the Booker Prize).

We're really pleased that Rose can join us for our next book club discussion on Thurs 20 Jan at 8pm.

Read more about Trespass and Rose's other books, plus read an interview with Rose when Trespass was longlisted for the Booker...

Hope you can join us, should be a great discussion.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-Dec-10 12:50:56

You can read more about Trespass and Rose's other books here. Should be a cracking start to a new year of book club.

And if you want a look back at what we've read this past year, here are 2010's book club reads. smile

FunnysInTheGarden Wed 22-Dec-10 16:12:29

How exciting. I love Rose Tremain. I have Trespass and so will now have to make time to read it over Christmas for the webchat.

Guacamohohohole Wed 22-Dec-10 20:48:58

I am definitely going to participate in book club 2011... It's one of my new years resolutions!

MayorNaze Wed 22-Dec-10 20:49:55

splendid

looking forward to it

merry xmas to all

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-Dec-10 20:56:02

grin How exciting.

arentfanny Wed 22-Dec-10 21:04:52

Would love to but queue in the library is too long. sad

gailforce1 Wed 22-Dec-10 22:24:37

I think that a lot of MNetters are ordering their copy from the library - I am 17th on the list!!
Really hoping that I can get a copy and read enough to join the discussion.
Happy Christmas to everyone.

FunnysInTheGarden Wed 22-Dec-10 22:28:10

incidentally I think I have read everyone of Rose Tremains novels and short stories and so may officially be her number one fan.............thrilled thrilled thrilled that I may actually be able to 'talk' to her.....

Haribojoe Wed 22-Dec-10 22:36:41

my copy arrived from amazon today, shame they couldn't manage to deliver all my missing Christmas presents, but that's another thread.

Looking forward to starting it smile

overthemill Thu 23-Dec-10 20:04:33

FunnysInTheGarden will fight for the title - me too grin LOVE her books

deleting Thu 23-Dec-10 21:48:47

Love her, she is one of my favourites. read this one on holiday in october. look forward to 20 Jan.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 23-Dec-10 22:34:24

OK overthemill how many of her books have you read ?<throws down the gauntlet>

SixtyFootDoll Fri 24-Dec-10 14:21:09

I am a huge Rose Tremain fan have read al of her books, will be putting Trespass on my (post) Xmas list.

THis is so exciting.

LostArt Sat 25-Dec-10 23:22:08

There must be a lot of Mnetters round my way. I'm 47th on the library waiting list and I ordered the book ages ago. sad

comewhinewithme Mon 27-Dec-10 19:05:34

I just downloaded it to my Kindle <excited>.

Haribojoe Thu 30-Dec-10 15:26:02

Is this the thread where we can discuss the book while reading it IYSWIM.

I'm almost half way through and am enjoying it so far, anyone else made a start?

arentfanny Thu 30-Dec-10 21:24:04

Hariboje, no that gets saved for the night itself.

My copy from the library is hopefully on its way so I may get lucky.

Guacamohohohole Fri 31-Dec-10 21:59:18

Can I just ask... What was the outcome of the book club questionnaire from before Christmas? In particular, what was decided regarding opening the thread earlier or in two parts to discuss the book without the author?

Haribojoe Sat 01-Jan-11 09:38:41

guacomo I thought I read that there was going to be a thread to discuss the book ahead of the live chat, but can't see anything.

Guacamohohohole Sat 01-Jan-11 10:22:22

That's what I thought... I seem to remember reading (but now can't find) something about having 2 threads, 1 with and 1 without the author.

Haribojoe Sat 01-Jan-11 11:13:56

Will send message to OP to try and find out.

101dalmations Mon 03-Jan-11 19:04:24

I'd love to join this - do I just let you know here or do I have to do something else?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Jan-11 20:04:28

Hello, in kind of reverse order of questions, will try to provide some answers.

101dalmations, all you have to do is post your question to Rose on this thread, either before or during the book club discussion. She's our guest on Thurs 20 Jan at 8pm. You're welcome to ask her about Trespass specifically, or any of her other novels.

Guacamohohohole, have spoken to Tilly and we reckon, yes, let's have two threads - this one for the discussion with Rose, and then a separate one to discuss Trespass.

And Hariboejoe, if you could save your thoughts for the discussion with Rose and/or the other thread about Trespass, that would be great.

Will check this thread in the morning in case there are any more questions.

Thanks everybody smile.

gailforce1 Wed 05-Jan-11 19:24:51

Are you having trouble getting a copy of Trespass? YOU bookshop are selling them at £4.99 including p&p. I ordered today and was told delivery in 10 days - so will be quicker than getting a copy from the library where I am 17th on the waiting list!!
YOU bookshop 0845 155 0711 or youreadinggroup.co.uk

Has anyone started reading yet?

yUMMYmUMMYb Wed 05-Jan-11 22:09:34

Got the book today through the post, so will start reading tonight

seasalt Sat 08-Jan-11 23:11:43

Just got this from the library today so will try to start reading tomorrow.

waybuloony Sun 09-Jan-11 17:11:13

If I order today and it arrives mid-week do you think it's readable in time for the webchat?
In other words - how long is it?

seasalt Sun 09-Jan-11 22:36:45

It's 253 pages,fairly short chapters. I didn't get time to start yet.

Thought you might like to see a Q&A Rose did for WHSmith (I think in conjunction with Richard and Judy's programme who also picked Trespass as their bookclub read)

I'll be sending Rose some advance questions this week so please start popping yours up here and we'll kick off with those on the night. And feel free to ask about any of her books, writing life, etc - you don't need to have read Trespass to join in.

Looking forward to next Thursday evening immensely...

A reminder to put any advance questions up here as I'll be sending over to Rose early next week...

CarmenSales Wed 12-Jan-11 16:37:55

Loved it smile

AmanSomal Thu 13-Jan-11 10:56:05

I am a Rose Tremain virgin wink Am reading Shantaram at the moment, but Trespass will be my next read.

Can anyone suggest any other Rose Tremain books?

Thanks gailforce1 for the youreading link. Mucho appreciated.

x

My personal favourite is Restoration (which was shortlisted for the Booker), but The Colour is also very good. They are all very different - come and join the chat if you want some inspiration!

KittyFoyle Thu 13-Jan-11 17:50:36

Hi Rose,

I loved The Road Home. I have a friend who is Bulgarian, working in London as a cleaner despite her economics degree. Her daughter is being brought up by her grandmother at home - they Skype but she is often in tears of pain for missing her child. I gave your book to her and she loved it too - she felt understood and was very moved by your work. I am a Londoner who moved to Norfolk (I'm near Sheringham) last year. Are there any places in Norfolk you find particularly inspirational when you need to think?

Amiable Thu 13-Jan-11 22:44:50

This is the first time I've joined the book club, but just had to when I saw Rose Tremain will be coming in. I met her at a talk she did a couple of years ago at Goldsmiths, and she was really lovely - very interesting speaker and funny too!

Rose - I LOVED The Road Home, and have read some of your other books since then, and the thing I find fascinating is the range of subjects you write about, different periods of history etc. What inspires you to write about a particular topic? Also, are there any of your books/stories that in hindsight you would have written differently, and if so, why?

MayorNaze Sat 15-Jan-11 20:13:37

ooh - i have now finished this

i must confess that i have not read any other Rose Tremain books so i have no idea if there are any common/recurrent stylistic themes/features blush

my questions have spoilers, sorry

did audrun really find peace in the end? was the apology what she wanted or the fact that she had "got rid" of her brother? did she see her brother as a victim too?

i will come back later...

FunnysInTheGarden Sat 15-Jan-11 22:52:48

Just finished Trespass, motivated partly by this thread ie made myself find the time, and it is FAB. Mind you all Rose Tremain's books are fab so it was totally expected grin

I have been a huge fan since reading Restoration 20 odd years ago and so will be back with a suitably well thought out and eloquent question nearer to the 20th

<gibbers, can't believe I am going to ask RT a question, gibbers>

OldieButBaddie Sun 16-Jan-11 17:33:15

I read this a few weeks ago
I must confess it is not my favorite, I love Rose's historical novels but I thought this was rather weak and the characterisation a bit clumsy in many ways.

Thanks to those who put their advance questions up - I'm going to send over to Rose tomorrow so there's still time if anyone else wants to put up a query today...

We're going to run a second thread for everyone to discuss the book amongst themselves - it'll open straight after the webchat has finished - so if you happen to miss Thursday's discussion, or you just want to talk further about the book to other Mumsnetters, then that'll be the place to be.

See you soon

gailforce1 Mon 17-Jan-11 21:19:48

Picked up my copy from library on Friday and youread copy arrived on Saturday! Am 3/4 through and enjoying so far.....
Looking forward to Thursday.

makemineamojito Mon 17-Jan-11 22:45:57

Just finished Trespass last night. Phew, nothing like a deadline to get you focused on reading a book in amongst trying to keep children happy! Looking forward to Thursday's discussion.

I have a question for Rose: How did you plan Trespass? Obviously the first chapter demonstrates that you knew how one of the main threads of the story would proceed, but was the rest of the story clearly mapped out from the start (and if so, did you find that anything changed as you wrote, or did you stick to your plan?!)

(I ask this because at certain points in the book I could imagine various outcomes and I wonder if Rose felt that too, and ever felt she had to choose between them).

Similarly to makemineamojito - I think it's very clever the way the theme is linked into the different storylines. I'd like to know how you develop the different storylines and maintain the trespass theme?

STOP PRESS: We have a very special offer from WHSmith, who are offering TRESPASS to Mumsnetters for only 3.99 - if you haven't already got a copy, or you'd like to buy one as a present then hurry along before the offer finishes on 2 February ....

See you all tomorrow evening...

bluepapermonkey Thu 20-Jan-11 10:50:42

finished TRESPASS last night (on my lovely kindle). RT is a great, she does a fantastic story and writes beautifully.

hope to come back tonight!

Wheelybug Thu 20-Jan-11 13:43:27

Hoping to join in tonight - have about 65 pages to go... so, doable if the children leave me alon {wink].

makin Thu 20-Jan-11 14:36:52

I am in the middle of reading Trespass and enjoying it very much look forward to the chat.

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 20-Jan-11 15:13:54

Right can't think of anything eloquent to say and may not be about tonight, so would like to say

Hello Rose, I have loved all of your books, but would be interested to know which of your novels is your favourite and why? I think mine may on balance be The Colour, btw

Many Thanks

Funnys

atrociouscook Thu 20-Jan-11 17:17:03

A fabulous book, full of suspense. .did the car get burnt in the fire? why didn't the police investigate the remains? What a horrible collection of characters - all so ugly, except perhaps for Veronica but beautifully drawn. Can't wait for your next book.

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 19:52:16

I've not finished it!

Evening everyone

I'm absolutely thrilled to introduce Rose Tremain as tonight's Author of the Month. Rose's books have featured heavily in Mumsnet 'top favourite' threads, and I'm delighted that we have the chance to ask a few questions.

So without further ado...

Rose, thank you very much indeed for taking time to talk to us. Perhaps we could kick off with the advance questions from further up the thread? And then we'll aim to get through as many as possible over the next hour.

And here are my two standard Mumsnet Bookclub ones:

Which childhood book most inspired you?

What would be your first piece of advice for anyone attempting to write fiction?

Wheelybug Thu 20-Jan-11 19:59:00

I finished (and didn't even neglect the children too much).

I loved it - v. readable and v. interesting, something different.

I have never read any other of your books (sorry !) but mean to rectify this now - which would you recommend reading next ?

I have 2 questions relating to the book -

relating to the book. There is a common theme in the book regarding relationships with mothers/sisters which is all slightly sinister. Hopefully, its not something you've experienced yourself so how did you come up with the idea and how did you research it ?

Also, in your mind what became of the characters ?

Thanks

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 19:59:57

KittyFoyle

Hi Rose,

I loved The Road Home. I have a friend who is Bulgarian, working in London as a cleaner despite her economics degree. Her daughter is being brought up by her grandmother at home - they Skype but she is often in tears of pain for missing her child. I gave your book to her and she loved it too - she felt understood and was very moved by your work. I am a Londoner who moved to Norfolk (I'm near Sheringham) last year. Are there any places in Norfolk you find particularly inspirational when you need to think?

So glad you and your friend enjoyed The Road Home and that she identified with Lev. It was a wonderful book to write. I got very fond of the characters myself. As for inspirational places, I like to walk on Winterton beach, where sometimes you see seals basking in the surf.. But I guess I work most serenely from my own study, which has a sloping view of a garden and I feel happy in its green quietness.

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:01:59

Amiable

This is the first time I've joined the book club, but just had to when I saw Rose Tremain will be coming in. I met her at a talk she did a couple of years ago at Goldsmiths, and she was really lovely - very interesting speaker and funny too!

Rose - I LOVED The Road Home, and have read some of your other books since then, and the thing I find fascinating is the range of subjects you write about, different periods of history etc. What inspires you to write about a particular topic? Also, are there any of your books/stories that in hindsight you would have written differently, and if so, why?

I think, from the start of my writing career, I’ve always been interested to write about people and places which are in some way beyond my own experience. I try never to go to the same place twice.
But it’s always mysterious how and why a subject suggests itself. Indeed very hard to analyse. I think, with Trespass, I’d had the feeling that the Cevennes region of France would make a fine setting for a story, but that story only started to arrive in 2008. And here, what I saw early on was that this story would be about a man trying to rebuild his life in a place he couldn’t understand.
Re hindsight, I can see great flaws in all my early novels, but they have to be left as they are: they were the best I could do at the time!

sophable Thu 20-Jan-11 20:04:16

Hello Rose,

I am a massive fan of your work, from Music and Silence, through Restoration right up to The Road Home.

I think The Colour and Music and Silence are my favourites although I've loved them all.

When did you know that you were going to be a writer? Was it when you were first published, or did you know it in your bones from childhood?

Thank you so much for all the pleasure and escape you've afforded me through your books.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:05:23

Welcome Rose.
envy at working serenely.
<thinking of my question>

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:07:22

makemineamojito

Just finished Trespass last night. Phew, nothing like a deadline to get you focused on reading a book in amongst trying to keep children happy! Looking forward to Thursday's discussion.

I have a question for Rose: How did you plan Trespass? Obviously the first chapter demonstrates that you knew how one of the main threads of the story would proceed, but was the rest of the story clearly mapped out from the start (and if so, did you find that anything changed as you wrote, or did you stick to your plan?!)

(I ask this because at certain points in the book I could imagine various outcomes and I wonder if Rose felt that too, and ever felt she had to choose between them).

With most of my novels, I only plan about to a certain moment in the book, but with Trespass, the plotting was very complex, so I had an outline plan before I began writing.
One or two things changed as the book went on, but mainly I followed the plan. What was hard was matching the internal experience of the characters to the outward happenings in a way that made them totally real for the reader.

JohnPearceLadle Thu 20-Jan-11 20:07:32

Hello Rose- My husband and I loved the stage version of Restoration and hopes it comes to London. We both wonder if you are indeed now writing about Merivel 20 years on, and if so, is it proving as exciting to write as Restoration must have been? Thanks

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:08:30

Great name JPL!

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:08:30

MayorNaze

ooh - i have now finished this

i must confess that i have not read any other Rose Tremain books so i have no idea if there are any common/recurrent stylistic themes/features blush

my questions have spoilers, sorry

did audrun really find peace in the end? was the apology what she wanted or the fact that she had "got rid" of her brother? did she see her brother as a victim too?

i will come back later...

I think she gets as near to finding peace as she ever will. She’s alone in the land she loves. The punishment of Aramon is complete and she has had the revenge she dreamed of.

atrociouscook Thu 20-Jan-11 20:12:36

Hello Rose

Have lost the pages, but I wondered if you could tell me what "keened" and "keening" mean, eg "the dogs keened" and I think it was Aramon said keening.

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:12:41

DontWorryBaby

Similarly to makemineamojito - I think it's very clever the way the theme is linked into the different storylines. I'd like to know how you develop the different storylines and maintain the trespass theme?

The storylines were all interlinked - in a very complex way - from the start. What, in fact, I didn't have, was the title, as this came later on. But then, when I 'found' the title, it seemed to offer me many many meanings, the first of which is death's trespass on life and the second is the newcomers trespass on the land and the third is the terrible trespass of Aramon and Serge upon Audrun. So, in a sense, the title made the book's themes clearer.

makin Thu 20-Jan-11 20:15:21

Hello Rose I loved The Colour it is my favourite but I also enjoyed The Road Home I do not have anything constructive to say about them but please do not give up writing I will be lost I am reading Trespass at the moment and loving it.

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:19:24

Wheelybug

I finished (and didn't even neglect the children too much).

I loved it - v. readable and v. interesting, something different.

I have never read any other of your books (sorry !) but mean to rectify this now - which would you recommend reading next ?

I have 2 questions relating to the book -

relating to the book. There is a common theme in the book regarding relationships with mothers/sisters which is all slightly sinister. Hopefully, its not something you've experienced yourself so how did you come up with the idea and how did you research it ?

Also, in your mind what became of the characters ?

Thanks

I think you should read RESTORATION (which I wrote twenty years ago but which is still widely read)next, as - wait for it - I'm about to write the sequel and you'll be lost if you don't know Book I!

As to mothers and sisters...well, my own mother had a selfish side. The scene in Trespass where Anthony's mother, Lal gets zippered into her bathing costume and hsi birthday is ruined, happened to me on my tenth birthday in much this way.

I think the outcome for the characters is a little uncertain, but paradoxically the murder has set them free. Veronica will move back to England and create a beautiful new garden, and Audrun will be quieter in her soul after her accomplished revenge.

Thanks Rose, I see what you mean about the title making the theme clearer. I'd seen other examples of trespass in the book but that might be because the title made me look for them!

atrociouscook Thu 20-Jan-11 20:21:35

iT BECAME A BIT OF A DETECTIVE STORY TOWARDS THE END \I THINKand when I realised this I started to look for clues so kinda knew that it was going to be the little girl who would find Anthony. Did you mean it to be a bit of a thriller in this way

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 20:22:07

I'm afraid I haven't finished, so will ask a question not about the book if you don't mind?
I love the intimate snap shots of the 'Writer's Room' on The Book Show and am always fascinated by the tiny traditions writers seem to have, for example Tracey Chevalier redecorates her writing room before every novel, I think it was Esther Freud who buys 10 identical notebooks before embarking on a new novel, another writer whose name escapes me fills her room with items that will help with inspiration... Maps of ancient Greece, Statues, Paintings etc... Someone else wrote in bed!

Do you have any traditions or rules you'd care to share?

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:23:01

JohnPearceLadle

Hello Rose- My husband and I loved the stage version of Restoration and hopes it comes to London. We both wonder if you are indeed now writing about Merivel 20 years on, and if so, is it proving as exciting to write as Restoration must have been? Thanks

Alas, no, I don't think the stage RESTORATION will make it to London. But yes, I am about to start on the sequel (see my last answer) I'm still at the research stage of the book, but hope to get going very soon. Merivel and the King are of course 20 years older and all the shine has gone off the reign and the country is coping with the kind of recession we are having right now! Will Merivel survive it????

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:25:37

sophable

Hello Rose,

I am a massive fan of your work, from Music and Silence, through Restoration right up to The Road Home.

I think The Colour and Music and Silence are my favourites although I've loved them all.

When did you know that you were going to be a writer? Was it when you were first published, or did you know it in your bones from childhood?

Thank you so much for all the pleasure and escape you've afforded me through your books.

What a lovely post! Thanks for that. I think I knew from about the age of ten that I wanted to be a writer. My sister was a very good artist and as kids we used to make our own books, with Jo (my sis) doing th eillustrations and me writing the text. But the sad thing is, these books wer all lost when my mother moved house.

V interesting to think that the two 'good' characters (V and Audrun) are set free by 'bad' events.

Were you glad that Veronica was set free from her French life and Kitty? Or did you have sympathy for Kitty? I got the feeling that Kitty was a bit of a drag, and that perhaps both her and V were living in a deluded dream which wasn't sustainable (like trying to garden without water...)

I have to say I thought Kitty was awful, utter wet blanket, and I cheered when she skedaddled off to Australia.

Elly68 Thu 20-Jan-11 20:30:05

Rose - love the book and couldn't put it down. One question though. As a writer you take from your own past experiences ie Lal was similar to your own mother. The bathing suit story you refer to. Do you ever feel exposed to bring in real life experiences as you may not want your readers to know such personal things about you.

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:31:26

Guacamole

I'm afraid I haven't finished, so will ask a question not about the book if you don't mind?
I love the intimate snap shots of the 'Writer's Room' on The Book Show and am always fascinated by the tiny traditions writers seem to have, for example Tracey Chevalier redecorates her writing room before every novel, I think it was Esther Freud who buys 10 identical notebooks before embarking on a new novel, another writer whose name escapes me fills her room with items that will help with inspiration... Maps of ancient Greece, Statues, Paintings etc... Someone else wrote in bed!

Do you have any traditions or rules you'd care to share?

Funny you should ask this; I'm about to let Sky Books into my study and take them on a guided tour of its chaos. I love the idea of a redecoration before each book, but no, my room has been more or less the same for ages, with some lovely birds on the wallpaper, who soothe me when I'm in a stuck phase.
I don't have any rules, except to try to work a bit every day - and that may or may not include weekends. A novel needs a day-by-day momentum and leaving it for long periods of time always makes re-starting difficult.

Wheelybug Thu 20-Jan-11 20:32:35

Thank Rose - tempted to download Restoration to Kindle tonight but have so much else I must read first I will resist and get a proper copy when next near a bookshop !

Sorry to hear the bathing suit incident was taken from experience - it was a terribly poignant moment in the book, you could really feel for the child.

JohnPearceLadle Thu 20-Jan-11 20:33:55

O thank you, Rose! We're jumping up and down here! What a cliffhanger!
<still sobbing about Pearce>

Calypso Thu 20-Jan-11 20:34:42

Hi Rose, I read 'The Way I Found You' years ago and loved it and then just finished Trespass. You have a remarkable capacity to get into the mind of characters of such diverse age groups - young boys and girls through to old men. Do you do much research into your characters, are they based on people/relationships you know?

JohnPearceLadle Thu 20-Jan-11 20:34:42

sorry for the accidental affected "O"

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:35:41

atrociouscook

A fabulous book, full of suspense. .did the car get burnt in the fire? why didn't the police investigate the remains? What a horrible collection of characters - all so ugly, except perhaps for Veronica but beautifully drawn. Can't wait for your next book.

Interesting that you found the characters 'horrible'. To me, of course, they wren't that at all, but just flawed and trying to come to terms with the last bit of their lives. So I tried to treat them with compassion.

As to the car, this would have been taken away by the police long before the fire arrives. And the remains: I don't give you this scene, but by these would have been investigated after Veronica idnetifies the body.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:37:25

Hello Rose. Can I talk to you about the silkworms? Were they what got you started with this book - or did they come into your thinking later?

It's just that I loved all that stuff about them gobbling voraciously, unseen, in the attics, growing and growing - until, in the end, they were boiled alive. Very much like the characters in the book, many of whom had secrets/hurts gnawing away unseen that, eventually, turned out to be their undoing.

<overanalysing, probably>

sophable Thu 20-Jan-11 20:38:47

I am so sad for you that those books were lost. tragic.

Really looking forward to reading Trespass, I have a book club with some very good women friends, and I also do a sort of 'book club' with my husband where we take turns choosing the book and then go out for dinner and spend some of the time discussing it.

Given that the remit for my book club with my husband is that we extend each other's reading range, and that we both adore your work, I don't think that Trespass will make it to our club!

Thanks again, and for replying.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:39:54

Okay, have steeled myself and apologies in advance for sycophantic tone but I have loved all the books of yours that I have read and devoured them voraciously and paid little attention to those around me whilst reading them. grin

I am thrilled to discover today that there are some I haven't read and that it's to be a sequel to Merivel who I think is my favourite of all of your characters, though having worked for an auction house in a former life, I did LOVE Anthony too.

Question s:
What is the best thing about being a writer?
And the worst?

JosieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:40:11

Making my first 'proper' appearance on mumsnet to join this discussion! (though a bit late blush)
Hello Rose,
Really enjoyed Trespass and The Road Home - I feel like I've really lived through the books, they're so evocative of people and places. Really want to go to France now! I particularly liked the tender moment with the teacher and Melodie at the end of Trespass. Amazing sense of death/the unknown threatening the whole time, through the first scene, Kitty, Anthony, Audrun.
I wanted to know more about how you knew so much about the Cevennes, did you grow up there or just visit a lot? Was there a bit of yourself in Melodie - are you a city dweller out of your comfort zone there or is it a liberating escape?
Looking forward to reading more of your books!

JosieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:40:54

<MNHQ hogs thread>

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:41:24

atrociouscook

iT BECAME A BIT OF A DETECTIVE STORY TOWARDS THE END \I THINKand when I realised this I started to look for clues so kinda knew that it was going to be the little girl who would find Anthony. Did you mean it to be a bit of a thriller in this way

I think it's 'a bit of a detective story' right from the get-go, isn't it? Surely the scream uttered by Melodie echoes right through the book, long before we 'see' the crime. But yes, I wanted this atmosphere of terror to be present at the beginning and then to grow and grow. But of course the plotting got very very complicated and actually made me ill for a while!

Guacamole Thu 20-Jan-11 20:41:44

Thank you Rose, very excited that you're allowing us into your room. I am very nosey!

gailforce1 Thu 20-Jan-11 20:45:38

I enjoyed Trespass and am now looking forward to Restoration.

The bathing suit incident was poignant but by the then I had despaired of Lal as a Mother!

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:49:27

JosieMumsnet

Making my first 'proper' appearance on mumsnet to join this discussion! (though a bit late blush)
Hello Rose,
Really enjoyed Trespass and The Road Home - I feel like I've really lived through the books, they're so evocative of people and places. Really want to go to France now! I particularly liked the tender moment with the teacher and Melodie at the end of Trespass. Amazing sense of death/the unknown threatening the whole time, through the first scene, Kitty, Anthony, Audrun.
I wanted to know more about how you knew so much about the Cevennes, did you grow up there or just visit a lot? Was there a bit of yourself in Melodie - are you a city dweller out of your comfort zone there or is it a liberating escape?
Looking forward to reading more of your books!

Hope you get to France and enjoy and don't get lost in the high corniches of the Cevennes! I've known the region for a long while. On my second honeymoon, our car was broken into where we'd parked on a high mountain road and all our things taken - including such small bits of jewellery as I owned at the time including my engagement ring. So from then on, the Cevennes has always had a kind fo sinister unertone in my consciousness. Thus, it struck me as a very fruitful place in which to set a tense story.

I think there is a little bit of myself in Melodie. When I was ten my parents divorced and we went to live in the country. I'd been very happy in London at my school and with lots of friends and then I lost them all and lost my father at one go. But of course kids adjust in the end. I think Melodie, helped by Jeanne, will be OK in time.

atrociouscook Thu 20-Jan-11 20:52:04

Yes it was tense all the way through but became even more exciting when i realisd it was going to be a whodunnit (one of my fave genres). So sorry you were ill but can understand - I found the tnsion sometimes almost unbearable -surely a sign of a great novel - thank you so much.

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:53:12

Elly68

Rose - love the book and couldn't put it down. One question though. As a writer you take from your own past experiences ie Lal was similar to your own mother. The bathing suit story you refer to. Do you ever feel exposed to bring in real life experiences as you may not want your readers to know such personal things about you.

Good question. But it's very very rare for me to use my own biography at all, so questions of exposure don't really come up. With the bathing suit thing, I began to write the scene differently, but then it occurred to me that the 'real' thing had so muhc more power in my mind that I decided to use it. (However, if my mother had still been alive, I woulnd't have used it. People say 'Beware a writer in the family!" and they'd right to be afraid.

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 20:57:50

TillyBookClub

Evening everyone

I'm absolutely thrilled to introduce Rose Tremain as tonight's Author of the Month. Rose's books have featured heavily in Mumsnet 'top favourite' threads, and I'm delighted that we have the chance to ask a few questions.

So without further ado...

Rose, thank you very much indeed for taking time to talk to us. Perhaps we could kick off with the advance questions from further up the thread? And then we'll aim to get through as many as possible over the next hour.

And here are my two standard Mumsnet Bookclub ones:

Which childhood book most inspired you?

What would be your first piece of advice for anyone attempting to write fiction?

Calypso

Hi Rose, I read 'The Way I Found You' years ago and loved it and then just finished Trespass. You have a remarkable capacity to get into the mind of characters of such diverse age groups - young boys and girls through to old men. Do you do much research into your characters, are they based on people/relationships you know?

I think my characters are a strange amalgam of people I know and pure invention. But you know, far from being afraid of seeing themselves in books, many people rather hope to be immortalised in fiction!

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 21:02:45

OliviaMumsnet

Okay, have steeled myself and apologies in advance for sycophantic tone but I have loved all the books of yours that I have read and devoured them voraciously and paid little attention to those around me whilst reading them. grin

I am thrilled to discover today that there are some I haven't read and that it's to be a sequel to Merivel who I think is my favourite of all of your characters, though having worked for an auction house in a former life, I did LOVE Anthony too.

Question s:
What is the best thing about being a writer?
And the worst?

The worst is worrying that your life as a writer is about to come to a terrifying end because you run out of ideas! But the best is everything, really. The ability that writers have to live their lives twice over, once in real time and once in fictional time.
And with so many paople feeling gently bored by their lives, I realise that I'm rather lucky, because when I'm working, I'm never bored. I may be angry with myself that the work isn't going better, but I'm always consoled by the fact that I'm doing work I feel passionate about.

I'm afraid that's all we've got time for tonight - many apologies if you haven't had your question answered.

Rose, many many thanks for answering so many questions and spending an evening with us all. It has been a complete honour to have you, and so illuminating to get the insider knowledge...

Restoration has always been the book I evangelise most about and press onto anyone I can - I'm deeply excited that you are writing a sequel and cannot wait to read it.

Please do come back and talk to us about it when it is published...

Many thanks again.

Elly68 Thu 20-Jan-11 21:06:27

Rose - thanks for your answer.

One more question not directly related to Trespass.

It's said that being a writer requires enormous self discipline. How do you manage to drag up enthusiasm and mental creativity to write, when you're going through a period that just doesn't seem to be 'flowing'?

RoseTremain Thu 20-Jan-11 21:07:59

Sorry we've run out of time. I've really enjoyed answering the questions and apologies to those whose questions I didn't get to.

If any of you live in London, I'll be talking about Trespass on 7th May at Foyles.
Love to see you there!

Nighty night....

And for anyone who'd like to keep on chatting about TRESPASS over the next few days/weeks, we've started a brand new post-webchat discussion thread - see you there...

FunnysInTheGarden Thu 20-Jan-11 22:57:44

Oh Curses, RT didn't answer my question. Am really looking forward to Restoration II though. Twas Restoration which got me hooked to start with.

MayorNaze Fri 21-Jan-11 07:41:51

SO sory didn't make it - RL circumstances beyond my control angry

will whizz through now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now