Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you or your child read The Girl Who Saved Christmas by Matt Haig? Post your feedback on the book by 20 December to win a £100 Love2Shop voucher

(6 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Nov-16 15:37:47

This week we're giving away a magical Christmassy tale from bestselling author, Matt Haig. Apply for a copy now.

This is the story of the first ever Christmas morning. Father Christmas' powers are fading and one special girl has gone missing - the only girl who can save the day.

We've got 50 copies of The Girl Who Saved Christmas up for grabs - head to the giveaway page to apply. This book is recommended for ages 7 - 12.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read The Girl Who Saved Christmas can post their thoughts on it here.

Everyone who posts feedback on the book on this thread before 20 December will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Canongate

ScarlettDarling Tue 01-Nov-16 22:32:49

My 9 year old dd would devour this book, swiftly followed by her 12 year old brother! Hope we're chosen.

Trooperslane Mon 07-Nov-16 15:36:05

I'd love it!

WhatevsBob Tue 22-Nov-16 12:34:53

Thanks for my copy Mumsnet!

I started reading this to my kids two days ago. They are 5 and 7 and are both completely entranced. We love that there is a whole elf community at the North Pole with schools and night shifts. I'm hoping that I can time it so we finish it on Christmas Eve as that would be perfect.

I then read the book once the kids were asleep. It covers a range of emotions sensitively and in an age appropriate way. It is also very funny and rips along at a grand old pace. I absolutely loved it and I know it will keep the kids engaged right to the end. Five stars from us!

purplepandas Tue 29-Nov-16 07:37:52

I had to remove this from sensitive DD age 7 as she was distraught at the death of both parents. had I known I would not have let her read it at bedtime. she has known a lot of deaths (sibling and v close uncle) so a bit too sad and close to home sadly.

Kiwirose Wed 30-Nov-16 22:52:32

This book is absolutely magical and the writing is wonderful with fantastic adverbs and adjectives (can you tell I have primary school aged children??????). I loved the rich characters, even the way the bad Mr Creeper is described. I have to confess that I read it myself first to make sure it didn't spoil Christmas in anyway for my 7 year old twins who still believe - it doesn't. My daughter loves the pictures and they are both entranced so far.

I think this book could be enjoyed by a wide range of ages (including adults). I have gone out to buy "a boy called Christmas" and have bought this book as a birthday present for 2 of the kids at school.

It is wonderful - you can't go wrong. But like purple says the girl in the story is an orphan and her mum does die in the book. My children don't dwell on that though because so much else happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now