Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you and your child read Jim Reaper - Son of Grim? Post feedback on the book by 28 October to win £100 Love2Shop voucher

(38 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Sep-16 15:16:36

You might have heard how the universe began with the Big Bang? Well, the universe as Jim Wimple knows it is about to end. With a Bazoom!

This hilarious tale follows Jim's realisation that his dad might be Death himself. We're giving away 50 copies of Jim Reaper: Son of Grim by Rachel Delahaye, aimed at readers aged 7 - 9. Head to the giveaway page to apply for yours!*

We ask all winners to share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read Jim Reaper: Son of Grim can post their feedback here (and you can buy the book now).

Everyone who posts on this thread before 28 October will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

ScarlettDarling Mon 05-Sep-16 18:09:59

Sounds lots of fun!

tworonnies1957 Sat 24-Sep-16 12:07:35

received the book yesterday thank you will leave a review once we have read it

rennie1811 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:22:29

received the book yesterday and my 9yo is already loving it. full review to follow

Wings77 Mon 26-Sep-16 13:18:52

Thank you for a copy of this book which we have just received. I will post a review when my children have finished reading it.

redalertalpha Wed 28-Sep-16 12:45:57

My 9 year old loved the book he found it engaging and interesting, an easy (at his age) to read book with great illustrations

Mozarmstrong Wed 28-Sep-16 14:26:30

Very easy understanding well pictured reading book. Well done !

cavylover Fri 30-Sep-16 17:00:14

Quirky book in the vein of The Wimpy Kid with black and white illustrations that add to the enjoyment - thank you

Stujobohm Sat 01-Oct-16 15:10:33

My daughter loved this story... From start to end.we loved the pictures to. A great read, highly recommend.

aspella Sun 02-Oct-16 16:30:32

Easy to follow plot with amusing, likeable characters. The illustrations throughout the book were incredible, especially the little snail. The only downside was the title of the book which gave the game away. There would of been more suspense and curiosity if the phrase Son of Grim was excluded.

princessgray Mon 03-Oct-16 09:29:32

A fun, enjoyable read, thank you very much.

Wings77 Mon 03-Oct-16 12:32:50

My 8 year old daughter loved this book. It is easy to read and has great illustrations. She now want to read the other book 'Saving Granny Maggot'. Highly recommended and thanks for the giveaway.

TenaciousOne Thu 06-Oct-16 21:45:22

We received ours and we (DS is) are still reading it, he seems to be enjoying it now but it took him a little while to get into it. He loves the illustrations, he's still at the stage of wanting pictures in the books he's reading. I'll check back in when he's finished reading it.

carz1985 Fri 07-Oct-16 22:55:01

So far this book is great. Easy to read and love the illustrations. Kids seem to be enjoying it. Thank you for the chance to read this smile

lottietiger Mon 10-Oct-16 19:07:13

We are enjoying reading this together at bedtime but not at the end yet so I will be back to report later. So far so good though and loving the illustrations smile

Pigeonpea Tue 11-Oct-16 23:00:51

Great fun with pictures to enhance the story.
Would definitely recommend.

mummyhappiness Wed 12-Oct-16 17:14:10

Took DS a while to get into but now enjoying it. smile

shelaghh Thu 13-Oct-16 20:24:33

Jim is an ordinary boy who longs for romance. He wants to find it with his best friend's sister. Like all boys- anybody but your sister is" written in stone". Jim tries to impress her by buying a super scooter--LOOK OUT FOR DISASTERS.

lottietiger Fri 21-Oct-16 12:57:27

We have just finished this my son enjoyed it although I had to explain who the grim reaper is ;) He liked the idea of having a super scooter and spying on his dad! My son has been scootering around everywhere since. The illustrations were good they definitely added something to the story. All in all an enjoyable read.

BearAusten Fri 21-Oct-16 16:19:11

I didn't enter the giveaway due to being put off by the title and wondered about its suitability for nearly seven year old. However, I saw it in the library, decided to get it and have a look at it before thinking about reading it to my son. It was a lot better than I expected. My son ended up really enjoying it and didn't seem at all disturbed by the themes.

Overall, relatively easy, quirky, humorous read, with great black and white illustrations (lots of snails). My ds feels he has now been neglected because he doesn't have a Bazoom scouter. In a way quite a good message to accept when our time is up unlike Audrey Finnigan. (It just seems a bit deep for a seven year old. On the other hand this is how I have always talked about the deaths of animals. )

However, I don't think I am really up for reading the sequel which seems to be about preventing the death of Grandma Maggot (Will's grandmother). I suspect it is really me that is a bit hypersensitive to the death theme. I will wait until I see plenty of reviews before reading this one.

CopperPan Fri 21-Oct-16 20:00:33

DS enjoyed this book, he likes this kind of humour and the pictures meant he followed the story easily. The characters were great and it was a good motivation for DS to start reading more independently.

MummysGotMakeup Fri 21-Oct-16 21:36:40

My 9 year old thought it was very good and enjoyed that it was written about The Grim Reaper who isn't normally associated with kids books and it reinforced the message that parents know best in a fun way! My 8 year old is a more reluctant reader normally but she is happily reading this book too and says that it is funny and wants to keep reading until she reaches the end. I've found the few chapters that I've read well written and would certainly appeal to the age group.

Dsiso Mon 24-Oct-16 13:18:17

My son is too young to read this by himself just yet, but I read it to him over a series of nights and he loved it! We were both cracking up in places - simply hilarious! It captured his imagination fantastically and I can't wait for another book to come out.

Hopeuk Mon 24-Oct-16 15:44:07

When I applied for this book I didn't realise that the age range was 7-10 - too young for my 11 year old, who is a very accomplished reader, and too old for the 4 year old. So, I've started to read it myself and although I haven't got very far yet I can see that the humour would be very appealing to the 7-10 age range. The illustrations are very good and enhance the experience. I want one of those scooters!

rennie1811 Mon 24-Oct-16 20:47:35

My daughter who is 9 really enjoyed this book - she wrote this review after reading it:

This story is about a boy called Jim Wimple and his friend Will. A new scooter called the Bazoom is out and Will’s sister has just got one. They ask Jim’s dad for a Bazoom and he says no.

So they make a plan to sneak into his work. They are going to place a letter of persuasion on his desk that will convince him to change his mind and say “yes” to a Bazoom.

But when they sneak into his office they find out Jim’s dad is not an accountant but something much worse.

What I liked about this book

I liked all of this book. As soon as you read the blurb on the back it sounds interesting. I think this book is awesome. It is a bit exciting at certain parts. I also think it has lots of description.

I would recommend this book because it is exciting and adventurous – I think you should read it if you like adventure stories and funny stories. I think everyone would enjoy this book. It is an amazing book and if you have not read it then read it NOW!

9.5/10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now