Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan? Post feedback by 7 October for chance to win a £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(27 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 26-Aug-16 13:48:54

Have you read tense psychological thriller, The Perfect Girl? Find out more about the book - and read an extract - on the giveaway page.

Musical genius Zoe and mother Maria seem to have the perfect life. So when Maria dies in mysterious circumstances, Zoe's world is shattered - but only she can piece together the truth.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read The Perfect Girl can post their feedback here (and you can buy the book now).

Everyone who posts on this thread before 7 October will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Little, Brown

elizimmy Fri 02-Sep-16 16:01:50

Thank you Mumsnet, I received my copy today and can not wait to start reading! I'll pop back when I've started it...

Mozarmstrong Sat 03-Sep-16 21:17:52

Got mine today here we go!

FernieB Thu 08-Sep-16 16:37:21

Thanks for this one MN. It's a compelling read that I couldn't put down. The story takes place over two days, although we are given glimpses of various characters pasts through flashbacks and, interestingly, a filmscript written by Lucas. I liked the use of multiple narrators to give different perspectives on the events, although I didn't find Sam to be particularly relevant. Don't want to say much about the plot as it may give things away, suffice to say, the suspense is cleverly built and it's a great read.

Mozarmstrong Thu 08-Sep-16 18:52:06

Gosh this is a read good as it gets! Clever flashbacks interesting and hard to put down you just have to read on. I liked it! Other p people out there you must try this book.

Heinz57 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:27:47

Received my copy a few days ago, always v excited when a free book comes through the post! Have started reading and I'm hooked love the way each chapter is written from a different characters perspective. It's slowly drip feeding you bits about what happened to Zoe - intriguing!

CopperPan Fri 09-Sep-16 10:04:46

This was wonderfully written and a gripping tale. I found it hard to put down and found it easy to get caught up in the world of the characters. Very intense and compelling!

llewejk Sat 10-Sep-16 21:40:28

I knew it was going to be good by the review on the front cover! I was a big fan of The Girl on the Train. I loved this book and I was hooked from the first chapter. I loved how each chapter is written by a different character. The chapters were short and linked together very well but always left you guessing. It kept you guessing but wasn't predictable. Hard to put down and I completed the book in 5 days, which is quick for me!

purplemonstermum Sun 11-Sep-16 17:02:47

Thank you for my copy. Read it in a week. Lots that I liked about this book - interesting idea, kept me guessing (I didn't work out the twist in advance), full of suspense and well-written. I have now ordered her first book from the library, which is always a good sign. However, I perhaps would have preferred it if it was written entirely from one person's point of view, as I like to really get into a character's head and this was hard to do with so many viewpoints. But otherwise I would generally recommend this book.

Susan74 Mon 12-Sep-16 17:31:53

Thank you for my copy of this. I have been struggling to find something to get into for a while now and this book was just what I needed. It grabbed me from the start and I found myself going up to bed earlier at night, excited to see what happened next. I liked the main characters and felt the book was well written. I would definitely buy another by this author.

FiveShelties Tue 13-Sep-16 22:01:44

Thank you very much for the book which I thoroughy enjoyed. The story is told through the voices of several characters which I found interesting. The story moved quickly and kept me guessing. I will definitely look out for more by this author - thank you.

floorflock Wed 14-Sep-16 07:39:41

Zoe is a child prodigy and plays the Piano. Lucas also plays the piano.We join the story with Zoe and Lucas about to go on stage to perform a piano recital together. They are both nervous. This is Zoe’s Second Chance Family. They have no idea, at this point, that because of past events, Tom Barlow is going to rip their lives asunder and that nothing will ever be the same again.

The story narration alternates so that you understand the different viewpoints. It also takes you back in time so that you can get into the mindsets of the characters and I particularly enjoyed this aspect of the book.

After the traumatic experience of being incarcerated for killing three teenagers whilst still a teenager herself Zoe is completely dependent on her mother who supported her and defended her throughout her trial, as she always had done and would continue to do so until her dying breath, which sadly isn’t far away.

Since the trial Zoe’s father no longer features in her life. The Second Chance Family consists of Zoe, her mum Maria, Step Father Chris, his son Lucas and baby Grace who is half-sister to both Lucas and Zoe. On the face of it this is the ideal family albeit very different in every way to her first family unit. However, this is proved to be a thin disguise because as ever in the ‘perfect’ family secrets, lies and half-truths abound and nothing is at it seems. All is revealed as the story develops.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it carried me along right to the end speeding me up as it went. I can see me re-reading it many times more, just in case I missed something but knowing full well that I did read it all fully the first time and that there is nothing I didn’t read.

This book has been likened to The Girl On The Train. I can’t comment on that as I haven’t read it yet. All I can say is that I enjoyed it and am glad to have it on my shelf.

horseyrider Wed 14-Sep-16 18:29:09

I've just finished my copy. Good beginning, interesting about child prodigy's. Lots of suspects, good emphasis on Zoe's guilt. Interesting focus on bullying at school. Twist towards the end, good read all in all.

I enjoyed the book - found it hard to put down. The dynasmic of the relationship between Lucas and Zoe is interesting - good twist at the end! Would recommend to friends and family. Also would Like to read more from the author as enjoyed her style of writing.

kimmie67 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:31:20

Really enjoyed this book, found it hard to put down, the suspense built gradually to a great conclusion. Tied the ends up neatly in a satisfactory manner, well written and an enjoyable read.

Theimpossiblegirl Tue 20-Sep-16 11:40:58

I'm about halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it. It is well written, gripping and I can't wait to read more. The story is unfolding through the viewpoint of different characters and time-shifts.

I loved Girl on the Train and while this is not like it, they are written in a similar style, so if you liked one, you will probably like the other.

Now you've all got me wondering about the twist...

LinzerTorte Sat 24-Sep-16 16:14:22

Thank you very much for my copy, which I've just finished. Really enjoyed it - very well written, full of suspense and some interesting twists and turns. Quite similar to a few other psychological thrillers I've read recently in that the story is told from multiple viewpoints, but I thought it worked well and allows the reader to have more of an insight into the various characters.

An addictive read, quite intense and claustrophobic at times, with some interesting themes (family relationships, child prodigies, guilt and responsibility, bullying) and a fairly shocking and thought-provoking ending. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers.

IreadthereforeIam Sun 25-Sep-16 19:24:44

I'm really enjoying this so far - the scene has been set, and I'm sure I'm in for a treat. I like how each chapter is from the point of view of one of the characters. It's interesting to hear what they're thinking! I'm looking forward to the twist now!!

EGoyal Wed 28-Sep-16 12:55:10

Thank you for this free copy! I love psychological thrillers and while I have only just started this, I'm already hooked! I love the style of writing and I'm also intrigued about the twist. Thanks again!

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 28-Sep-16 13:03:35

I have just finished. It was a really good read- well paced to the end, lots of interesting characters, each of whom became more complex as the story unfolded.

The twist! I had tried to guess, but it still came as a surprise.

I really do recommend this to anyone who likes a good thriller/mystery/story.

IreadthereforeIam Wed 28-Sep-16 13:16:08

I'm finished, and it was a great read! I loved the different perspectives from the different characters in each chapter - it helped you to really see how they were feeling, and added to the pace. The suspense was pretty all-encompassing - I really struggled to put this down once I'd started it. And what a twist at the end!

I'll be recommending this to my friends!

Mozarmstrong Wed 28-Sep-16 14:29:07

Thought I had done this last week it's a very good tale well written easy for me I enjoyed it

Larnipoo Wed 28-Sep-16 15:52:16

I wasn't sure that I would get into this book as I found the constant changing of narrators of the story annoying initially. However, once I got over that I enjoyed it. It's not great literature as such but it's quite well written though perhaps the storyline was a tad predictable. I would class this as good holiday reading!

wallers5 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:05:45

I found it hard to get to grips with but I stuck with it & found it original, beautifully written & very gripping. A bit like The Girl on the Train. A surprise ending is always good.

teddygirlonce Wed 28-Sep-16 18:12:13

I'm about a sixth of the way through this, having struggled to find much reading time since the children went back to school.

Enjoying it so far, finding it very easy to read. Love a thriller and this is a page-turner so fulfilling the brief as far as I'm concerned. Not worked out the 'twist in the tale' yet but hope to do so.

Will come back and give a more in-depth review when I've finished.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now