Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Children's book giveaway: Apply for your copy of Flying Fergus: The Championship Cheats by Tuesday 30 August!

(17 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Aug-16 13:32:21

Kids feeling inspired by the Olympics? Get them reading too - with the latest Flying Fergus story from cycling champion Chris Hoy.

It's time for Fergus and his Hercules' Hopefuls teammates to go to the District Championships, where they're determined to beat their rivals, Wallace's Winners. The problem is, the team's second-hand junk-shop bikes are proving no match for their rivals' flashy new Sullivan Swifts.

We've got 50 copies of Flying Fergus: The Championship Cheats to give away - apply now to find out what happens in this hilarious adventure! This story is perfect for ages 5 - 7.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read Flying Fergus: The Championship Cheats can post their feedback here (and you can buy the book now).

Everyone who posts on this thread before 11 October will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

Done!

Baileycakes Tue 30-Aug-16 10:54:31

Done

busymummy0411 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:24:21

Done

Lariflete Fri 09-Sep-16 19:15:58

Wow! I got a copy today and I didn't even know we'd been chosen. DD was entranced by the Olympics, so she is really looking forward to starting this tonight. Thanks Mumsnet!

shadydelta Tue 13-Sep-16 15:18:34

Wohoo just received a copy and didnt even know i had been chosen! Yay thanks mumsnet xx

buddles Fri 16-Sep-16 18:43:13

I also received a copy this week with no idea I had won! Thanks Mumsnet!

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Sep-16 18:54:20

Hi - oops, winners have now all been notified! Glad it was a nice surprise - happy reading!

My son loves this book he said it was ace and then went on the website it advertised in the book to read up further on the authors and characters, great idea for all kids inspired by the Olympics

sheiladore1 Fri 16-Sep-16 19:49:30

we received our book this week ,many thanks
grandaughter will enjoy it im sure thanks

Lariflete Fri 16-Sep-16 21:50:00

Thank you so much for this book - DD loves it!
We finished it last night and she wants to get all the other books - I don't think you can get better recommendation than that!
DH and I were taking it in turns to read it since we received our copy so I didn't know the whole back story to Fergus' Dad not being around; some of the comments about Mum's fancy man seemed a little bit old for the target age range. It wasn't anything too terrible though, and like I said DD loved it.
Thanks Mumsnet for giving us a free copy to review.

Amaksy Fri 16-Sep-16 21:52:52

Got my copy, wonderful! Looking forward to starting it with DS

pennwood Sun 18-Sep-16 14:03:49

Flying Fergus: The Championship Cheats by Chris Hoy was read by an eight year old foster girl who is not advanced in reading, but she enjoyed it, & only had to ask what one or two words meant, like contemplation/antidote. Explaining the term fancy man was not the easiest to do, & not necessary in a book for this age group in my opinion. It had a theme of honesty, & not cheating to achieve goals in life which is admirable for youngsters to strive to. The illustrations were brilliant, & very thoughtful putting ten pages at the start of the book illustrating everyone , & where they live etc. Throughout the book there were plenty of illustrations to add interest & break up the writing. I would recommend the book as it has adventure, magic, good friendships, suitable for boys or girls, & a nice theme running through it.

SuzCG Thu 22-Sep-16 11:05:12

Mine arrived by surprise a couple of weeks ago - glad I've worked out who sent it and then we can give our thoughts on it. Thanks Mumsnet.
It's been read by both my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter (and me)- quite keenly, given that cycling was such a hit at the recent Olympics!
Having not read any of the previous ones we liked the meet the characters & scene setting at the start of the book. Nice message throughout the story - being honest and not cheating. Kids have both rated it 4/5 - good, easy to read book that appeals to both boys & girls.

FeelingSmurfy Fri 23-Sep-16 17:24:39

Received this through the post and it was a total mystery where it had come from until I was sent an email saying I had won it smile Thankyou MN

I have seen that the recommended age for this book is 5-8 and I would disagree with that, I would say it would be more suitable for ages 8-10.

I think that the story-line about not needing the flashiest new things would be good from age of 5, but the background story of his mum possibly having a new partner and trying to work out who it could be, should be aimed at an older age group.

Overall the book was enjoyed and there is interest in seeing whether the library have any more in the series, but I am glad it was read to/by a 9yr old smile

NicHay Sat 24-Sep-16 20:33:42

My daughter loved the book. She thought it was funny and she liked the fact there was a boy and a girl as main characters so it would appeal to anyone.

angep1969 Mon 26-Sep-16 12:20:32

This is the first of the Flying Fergus books we have read and I daresay this one would have made more sense if we'd had read it's predecessors.
Having said that it can be read as a stand alone book and we enjoyed it. Some of the themes were probably a bit too advanced for my 5 year old (around Mum's love life in particular) but he really loved the illustrations throughout and the pages at the front which illustrated all the characters and where they lived.
Essentially a tale that warns you should be wary of cheats and that honesty is the best policy - always a good message to relay to kids.
I'd quite like to read the previous books to get a proper "handle" on the alternative world of Nevermore and understand more about what had happened to Fergus' Dad but I think I may wait until the wee man is a couple of years older.
It's quite nice that there is also a fan club that you can join as I'm sure this will appeal to lots of kids (especially those who have been inspired by the cycling at the Olympics recently)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now