Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you or your child read Super Gran? Post feedback by 7 October for chance to win a £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(18 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Aug-16 17:30:42

Remember Super Gran? This ordinary gran with extraordinary powers first appeared on our screens in the 80s – and now she's back fighting crime again. Her adventures have been newly depicted with fantastic illustrations from the creator of Elmer, David McKee.

We're giving you and your kids the chance to enjoy the cult children's book - perfect for ages 8+. We've got 50 copies to give away so apply now!

We ask all winners to share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read Super Gran can post their feedback here (and you can buy a copy of the book now).

Everyone who posts on this thread before 7 October will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Andersen Press

ahigney Thu 08-Sep-16 13:07:56

My 8year old son is loving this at the moment!Great,funny,uplifting read with amazing David McKee's pictures!

CopperPan Fri 09-Sep-16 10:11:18

DS really enjoyed this book, he found it hilarious with some genuine laugh out loud moments. The pictures helped keep him engaged and he loves to reread it quite often.

henryscatoscar Fri 09-Sep-16 15:14:39

We got this book via the mumsnet giveaway.
Our 7 year old son loves it so far. totally enthralled and the rafter of questions were left until I had finished reading. he was keen to talk about it. I have a vague recollection of super gran from the first time around but must admit I hadn't read the book before. cracking smile

Mozarmstrong Fri 09-Sep-16 16:39:18

Brilliant amusing book. Makes you laugh and laugh. Thanks for my copy passing around all cousins

boo2410 Fri 09-Sep-16 18:46:07

I also got this book in the Mumsnet giveaway. My son is halfway through it and is also loving it. I keep asking him about what he has read and then I rattle on to him about the Supergran programme that I used to watch when I was younger. I then go on asking him to YouTube it to listen to the tune etc. I think I'm getting on his nerves! Thank you Mumsnet grin

busymummy0411 Fri 09-Sep-16 20:39:08

DS is thoroughly enjoying this book. He describes it as very funny, with a mix of technology and superheroes. He has had moments of laughing out loud and also read parts to his younger sister, who found it funny, despite being beyond her current reading level. Very good book, would highly recommend.

rhinosuze Fri 09-Sep-16 21:54:09

We were really excited to win this and we have all laughed so much so far, really enjoying it. My own mum tried to remind me of it from my own childhood and must confess I can't remember it but now she is a supergran herself she wants to keep th e book at her house

hlc123 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:33:31

We got this book via the mumsnet giveaway.My 9 year old daughter would give this book 10/10. She said Super Gran was hilarious and the illustrations were really funny. She thought the ending was amazing and would love to read more books about Super Gran. She also suggested the book be made into a movie!

mitalmanda Thu 15-Sep-16 13:59:40

We were lucky enough to receive a copy of the book Super Gran via the Mumsnet giveaway and it's a great book to receive too. My 8yr old daughter is quite the tomboy so the fun story suits her as well as any child without being too gender orientated. It's a fun and lighthearted story, bringing back memories too for the TV series I used to watch. Loving the occasional illustrations by David McKee which break up the story. Both my daughter and I would recommend this book; it's fun and makes you want to keep reading more.

Amaksy Sat 17-Sep-16 20:46:07

Very funny read, I can't wait to pass on to others

Old enough to recall the TV show so jumped at the chance of the book. I'm reading it aloud to my soon to be six year old. He and I both think its very funny although he know thinks his own gran should be able to do all the things that supergran can 😸

missytilley Tue 20-Sep-16 15:46:08

With lots of super short stories you end up reading more then you thought you would. Its not just a bedtime book reading it through the day will make you giggle and keep you smiling Its a funny book, Ask my granddaughter she knows

Tigerlily13 Sat 24-Sep-16 07:29:46

Great book, my niece loved it.

Goonergirl1 Sun 25-Sep-16 11:13:16

I am reading this book (a chapter a night) with my almost 8 year old. He loves the story, the characters and the way it has been written. It is very different from the usual books he reads so it is great to expand his world and I am loving the nostalgia, remembering how much I loved Supergran when I was his age. Just brilliant smile

thesoupdragon44 Mon 26-Sep-16 11:16:35

I vaguely remember the tv show super gran from my childhood, but don't think I watched it that often. I love the story of this book. A story that involves a super gran will get my vote as I thought my nan was a super hero as a child. This book is well written and I have enjoyed starting to follow the story of Granny Smith who may have started out as a normal Gran. But turns into something amazing after being zapped. I am sure she will be the one to save the world from evil and will continue to enjoy this book with my 11 year old.

I didn't see the original thread, but I remember the teacher reading this to our class when we about 8, and finding it really funny. I'll look out for it for ds

I loved watching Super Gran when I was younger so it has been great to be able to share the joy with my DD.
We have both enjoyed reading the book together and have chuckled and roared with laughter at various points!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now