Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read either The Letter for the King or The Secrets of the Wild Wood by Tonke Dragt? Post your feedback by 16 September for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(36 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Jul-16 17:49:56

Tonke Dragt's bestselling series starts when sixteen-year-old Tiuri finds himself on a dangerous mission to deliver a secret letter to a king. In the latest installment, Tiuri is fighting for his life again, this time in the mysterious Wild Wood. This week we're giving away 25 copies of both The Letter for the King and newly translated The Secrets of the Wild Wood so apply for your choice of book now.

Mumsnetters loved The Letter for the King:

“The format of the book is beautiful, the story is amazing and full of morals, and I think every child should read this! An absolute classic.” – Pixieindisguise

"Please tell me they are going to translate and publish the sequel? Haven't been this excited about a book for decades." – pointyfangs

The Secrets of the Wild Wood is the fantastic and long-awaited sequel to the international bestseller, The Letter for the King, perfect for ages 8+. We have 25 free copies of both titles up for grabs - so whether you're already a Dragt fan or you're new to the series, you can apply for a free book.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read either book can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free one, you can buy a copy of the new book. All who post feedback before 16 September will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher. The giveaway ends on Monday 11 July so apply now!

This giveaway is sponsored by Pushkin Press

Balletgirlmum Sun 24-Jul-16 09:54:54

My daughter was lucky enough to go to read & review a pre publication copy of Letter for the King when it was first published in the UK. She loved the book. This is what she said.

‘The Letter For The King’ is a gripping story about a young boy, soon to be knighted, who runs off to deliver a letter to the King across the great mountains. He must not trust anyone. I love this book.

The Letter for the King by Tonke Dragt is about a young boy called Tiuri who is about to be knighted by King Dagonaut. He must spend hours in a chapel in silent contemplation. But, as he waits for morning to come, there is a knock on the door. A letter must be delivered to King Unauwen over the Great Mountains. It is a journey fraught with danger and difficulty. He must go through dark, sinister forests, creepy castles, slippery mountain slopes and through cities of people who are not quite what they seem. He finds enemies everywhere, but he also finds the best of friends. He must never reveal to anyone what is inside the envelope. He must not trust anyone. And it may cost him his knighthood...

The book is set in the past, a time where knights roamed the land and kept the peace. Tiuri is a young boy of sixteen and is the son of Tiuri the Valiant. He is a brave young boy, who will do anything for the right cause and justice. He is an emotional being who does not want to escape his vigil but has to for the greater good.

Piak is a young mountain boy who is eager to help Tiuri with his task. He longs for a taste of the city. Tonke Dragt doesn't describe their appearances, but instead their feelings and thoughts. She makes them real in what they do, not what they look like.

It is no wonder that ‘The Letter for the King’ was chosen as the Children’s Book of the Year. It is a gripping story which I couldn't put down!

juleslucas Thu 04-Aug-16 16:48:17

My daughter has read Letter for the King too and thoroughly enjoyed it! She is currently gripped reading The Secrets of the Wild Wood and at the minute is too busy reading to give any feedback. At this rate though it will not be long before this book is finished too which is testament in itself.

Whitecoconut Thu 04-Aug-16 17:46:06

Thanks for sending my daughter the book. My 11 yr old daughter read a few pages and skipped through the book as she said this is not the type of book she's interested in. She found the book not as exciting she would hope to be so she gave the book to her elder sister. I may persuade her to give the book another try.

katiebasey Thu 04-Aug-16 18:23:38

My 14 year old daughter loved the book and has nearly finished it, might even read it myself. Will give more feedback when she has finished it.

Toberich Thu 04-Aug-16 18:45:53

Many thanks for the book I'm delighted I won one ! It's for my dc who just turned 9 so it might be a bit advanced for now but he is definitely going to give it a go & I will report back 👍🏻

cambridgemumof4 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:04:04

Thanks for the book - my 11 year old son enjoyed the Letter for the King - but announced that this looks too heavy and too long to take on holiday. I will try and persuade him to have a go when we are home.

Larnipoo Sat 06-Aug-16 20:18:19

Brilliant fantasy novel for older children (and adults!) which brings a very satisfying conclusion to the story begun in The Letter for the King. Totally unsentimental with updated references to traditional tales of human endurance and moral dilemmas. Although the Daily Mail is quoted on the back cover as predicting these books will be the successor to Harry Potter, they were published well before J.K.Rowling's work and are vastly better plotted and written

Tigerlily13 Mon 08-Aug-16 14:05:43

Thanks for sending us Letter for the King. Just started reading it and am hooked already! It's fast paced and intriguing, can't wait to get to read more once the kids are in bed!

loosechange Tue 09-Aug-16 12:55:57

Thank you so much for this book. I forgot I had signed up, was baffled when the book turned up and only twigged when I received the reminder email.

DS is reading another book at present, so I begrudgingly picked this up to read if I am brutally honest.

I am hooked. My current book, which I set aside for this book, has been abandoned, and DS won't be getting a look in until I've finished, although I doubt that will be long.

If you're debating this book, go for it.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 10-Aug-16 11:23:59

Thank you for sending us this book (The Letter for the King)
My DD, aged 10, is reading it as I write. She loves it. She says that it's really exciting and that there are lots of good characters. She said it is abput a quest, but I suspect that that word (quest) must have been used in the book, as I'm not sure she'd have come up with it otherwise. She's already asked for the next book, and we've reserved it at the library, as she's doing the book challenge there.

She likes especially that it's a popular book in other countries, but one that she hopes her school friends might not have read, so that she can be the first, and tell them about it.

WeeMadArthur Wed 10-Aug-16 20:54:52

I applied for The Letter for the King for myself (DS is 6) as I find myself enjoying more and more fiction aimed at teens. I held off on reading it until the email reminded me so I could have enough time to read it on holiday. I started it this morning and finished it before dinner so DH spent most of the day in the pool with DS instead of me Its a really good read, great characters, lots of well written action and a real page turner. I will definitely be getting the next book in the series (on Kindle so I can read it straight away)

bogglebonce Thu 11-Aug-16 12:33:49

We received a copy of 'The Secrets of The Wild Wood' which is the sequel to 'The Letter For The King', it is a fantastic and thrilling read, especially for older children - I highly recommend it, just as good as the first book.

bernie77 Thu 11-Aug-16 16:06:39

A fabulous book, I thoroughly enjoyed it and my son is wading through it now (he's not a great reader, but the fact that he's still at it is an excellent sign.) I received my copy from Mumsnet and appreciate that greatly, though that has no bearing on my review. A well written story, a classic tale of adventure, with plenty of heroes and villains, it kept me gripped in its thrall right to the end. A first class experience and so now I'm on the look out for the next in the series.

FrankNfurter Mon 15-Aug-16 11:47:32

Took my copy of The Letter for the King on holiday as a surprise for my son (12) so that he'd have something good to read on rainy days, of which we had a few (there's the Scottish west coast for you). Son grumbled when given it, but half an hour later was rapt - and read it all sprawling on different chairs in our cottage over the next two days. Here's his review (slightly edited):

"The Letter for the King was an interesting book because it was sort of historical fiction and sort of fantasy. The reason it wasn't historical fiction was because it wasn't set in a real place in the world but there weren't wizards and dragons and spells to make it fantasy.

"The story is about a young squire who's in the chapel waiting for the morning when he will become a knight but a mysterious stranger asks him to deliver a letter to the black knight with the white shield who is staying in a nearby inn - but when he gets there he finds the knight has been murdered...

"It was a well-written and gripping story since you did want to know what happened next and there were a lot of people trying to chase him and stop the letter going through.

"And even though I am a quick reader it was big enough to keep me occupied for a long time but it was not as boring as Lord of the Rings. I was a very interesting book and I would definitely recommend it."

lolarabbit Tue 16-Aug-16 00:52:26

I acquired a second hand copy of this a while ago intending to give it to my son - then I picked it up myself and was quickly gripped by the story. It was an easy read, without the long descriptive passages that can slow a story down, but with enough detail to help build up a good mental picture of the characters and setting. A great adventure story with much adversity for the hero to overcome. I will definitely be reading the sequel.

thriftymrs Tue 16-Aug-16 14:49:46

I chose "The Letter for the King" as my teenage DDs haven't read anything by this author before. We enjoyed taking it in turns to read it aloud to each other and all thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns in the story as it progressed. Thank you, Mumsnet, for giving us the opportunity to read and review this exciting book.

dinkystinky Wed 17-Aug-16 17:04:27

Thank you for sending through the letter for the king - DS1 (10) has started it but is only half way through. He's really enjoying it and all the twists and turns and describes it as an exciting quest and mystery wrapped into one.

Alidoll Thu 18-Aug-16 16:22:46

Received a copy of Letter for the King as book sounded interesting and can't say I've been disappointed. The dialogue is engaging between the characters and the action fast. It's perhaps a bit advanced for my 6 yr old daughter at the moment but won't be long before I'll be reading along with her (and won't be a book I'll mind doing that with..unlike some others such as the Hobbit that are just so boring at the start!). Thank you for sending the copy

juleslucas Thu 18-Aug-16 20:04:40

My daughter has finished this book and really enjoyed it. She loved the historical context of the book and the fast pace of the story. Thank you for the copy.

Babelange Thu 18-Aug-16 21:47:02

I am sorry I missed this giveaway (an opportunity to read part two grin) as I was lucky to receive a copy of A Letter to the King on a mumsnet giveaway a few years ago when it was first published in hard back. I thought it was a high quality work of fiction which bridges the gap between children's/young person's fiction. The quest and friendship themes are reminiscent of more familiar popular fiction such as the Harry Potter series which goes to show that these themes haven't aged at all. I recall reading about the author who was determined to create a compelling children's series in the idiom of her own country (I think she was familiar with the work of Tolkein/Lewis). As an adult reader I was very moved by sections and read it in one sitting (4-5 hours!) I then regifted it to a young person smile and hope the enjoyed it too.

scarrick87 Fri 19-Aug-16 04:52:33

Not the sort of book I would normally go for which is why I love this site - love how it has me reading different books. I didnt like it as much as other genres but read it anyway its just really different to what I usually read. Gonna give it to my daughter and see if its any better for her x

Dsiso Fri 19-Aug-16 10:09:45

This wouldn't be one of the books I would normally choose, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very easy to get into the zone as the descriptions were nicely written. It is filled with adventure and friendship and is different enough to stay with you for long time after reading. When my son is older I shall introduce him to both books as I think he will appreciate it more as a 7-8 year old.

Annamaria0 Fri 19-Aug-16 15:17:32

I bought my son The Letter...for Christmas, having read great reviews online. He enjoyed it, so I was very pleased to win a free copy of The Secrets of the Wild Wood. We have just started reading it aloud to him, he listens intently. Even as an adult, I find it compelling.

Pugwash123 Sat 20-Aug-16 10:08:28

The book was a real hit with my children. We have just returned from our annual holiday and am pleased that 2 of my 3 children thoroughly enjoyed it. I am now going to read the book (Letter to the King) to see if I enjoy it as much as they did. The kids were warned not to give too much away!! All I know is that is is 'cool and clever' and 'exciting, clever and interesting'. I can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now