Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you read Baby Doll by Hollie Overton? Post your feedback by 16 August for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher!

(105 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Jun-16 14:11:16

Held captive in one room with her six-year old daughter, one day Lily Riser realises that her captor has left the door unlocked. For the first time in eight years, Lily’s free. But escape is just the beginning... Baby Doll is the story of what happens next...

This psychological thriller by debut author Hollie Overton will have you on the edge of your seat. In Baby Doll, Hollie draws on her unique childhood experiences to give realism and compassion to this story of darkness and family entanglements.

We have 50 copies of Baby Doll to give away to give away to Mumsnetters who want to read and share their thoughts about it on this discussion. Go to the giveaway page to find out more about the book.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Baby Doll can post their feedback here. If you miss out on a free one, you can buy a copy. All who post feedback here before 16 August will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher. The giveaway is now closed.

This giveaway is sponsored by Penguin Random House

alialiath Mon 27-Jun-16 16:50:46

This sounds like an excellent read. You can't beat a good psychological thriller.

ScarlettDarling Mon 27-Jun-16 21:28:42

Ooh, sounds like 'Room', I'd love to read this!

slev Wed 06-Jul-16 21:42:17

Just found out I've won a copy in the giveaway - really looking forward to reading this so thank you!

voyager50 Wed 06-Jul-16 23:46:27

I thought it sounded like 'Room' too although I haven't actually read it or seen the film yet.

Really pleased to have won a copy - looking forward to reading and reviewing it

angieloumc Mon 11-Jul-16 17:35:04

I really enjoyed this book, very slick for a debut novel. I won't give away any spoilers but though the premise is a little like Room, the different view points make it a slightly easier read. I'm looking forward to another book by the author in the future.

jonniesmum Thu 14-Jul-16 11:33:46

Just received my copy and can't wait to read it.

ireadnovels Thu 14-Jul-16 14:01:52

Thank you mums net for sending me Baby Doll by new author Hollie Overton. Hollie Overton is a major new voice in psychological crime. Escape is just the beginning. Baby Doll is published 30th June 2016 by penguin random house

CopperPan Thu 14-Jul-16 18:19:07

I found this an intense read at times, it sometimes mellows out in its telling of it, but it allowed me to get more breath until it gathered momentum again. We gain some insight from Lily about what happened to her in her captivity but that's not what this story is about. It's about all the other lives touched and tainted by the crime. We watch the subsequent struggle for a normal future by people who have had a big chunk of their past stolen. I found it totally gripping.

ricola1 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:22:59

Original plot

izbiz88 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:30:30

I absolutely love books like this but I really have to be in the right frame of mind. Luckily I am right now! Was completely hooked from the start. It is intense, most definitely, but you can't put it down once you've started. Fantastic book.

Lisapaige24 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:50:15

Although this book can be intense at time I found it easy to read
The lives of the people who were affected in the book really reminded me of a documentary I watched on a kidnap victim and her family and the ripple affects it had on everyone. I would recommend it though great read

libra101 Fri 15-Jul-16 08:30:44

I occasionally enjoy reading psychological thrillers, and rapidly became absorbed in this gritty, intense story.

Although the book title 'Baby Doll' didn't do the book justice, the story which explores abuse and complex relationships within families, was a real page turner which I couldn't put down.

The story is told from several different perspectives, and tells of Lily's escape from her ruthless captor, and chain of events which follow.

Although not for the faint hearted, I would definitely recommend this book, and can't wait for the next book from Hollie Overton.

juju3 Fri 15-Jul-16 08:55:39

really gripping book that I could not put down

phillie1 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:16:08

read til late at night as wanted to keep going

janeyf1 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:27:41

Sounds like a scarier 'Room'. Engrossing and gripping

IonaAilidh11 Fri 15-Jul-16 09:50:00

keep me gripped all the way to the end

julieef Fri 15-Jul-16 09:57:26

I love a good gripping book don't read much thrillers but loved this one

ebay91 Fri 15-Jul-16 10:11:00

Loved this book! It was a real page turner! Baby Doll totally kept me addicted the way Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train did, however I liked it better because of the characters, especially the relationship between the sisters.

glennamy Fri 15-Jul-16 10:55:06

Sounds very interesting as I have not read it but will get a copy this weekend...

stefalfie11 Fri 15-Jul-16 11:15:04

stayed up until the early hours because i kept reading "just one more chapter"! fantasic plot and gripping until the end.

Clairescottshug Fri 15-Jul-16 11:40:12

Page to page i loved it!

insan1tyscartching Fri 15-Jul-16 12:03:08

I bought the book as I missed the giveaway, loved the book well worth the money anyway. A gripping read, couldn't bear to put it down another day where the housework was neglected grin

iut044 Fri 15-Jul-16 12:38:33

A gripping enjoyable read

amyhalliday1 Fri 15-Jul-16 12:57:01

Really gripping my

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now