Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Have you and your children read Timmy Failure? Post your feedback by 10 August for chance to win £100 Love2Shop Voucher

(32 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Jun-16 18:47:09

Hapless detective duo Timmy Failure and Total (his pet polar bear and business partner) are Total Failure, Inc. a detective agency destined for global greatness – or so Timmy likes to think!

“My daughter says it's brill, ever so funny and she likes the cartoon drawings- this series is her favourite” - jowie

The Timmy Failure series is frequently recommended by Mumsnetters for children aged 8-12, so apply now for some hilarious holiday reading.

To celebrate the paperback release of Timmy Failure's latest adventure, Sanitized for Your Protection, we're giving away 20 sets of the whole series to Mumsnetters who want to read and share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about it on this discussion. Go to the giveaway page to find out more about the books and apply for your free copies. The giveaway closes on 27 June.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read the Timmy Failure can post their feedback here. If you miss out on the free copies, you can always buy one. All who post before 10 August will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Walker Books

ScarlettDarling Mon 20-Jun-16 21:35:34

How have I missed this series? My 9 and 12 year old Tom Gates lovers would adore this series!

Lurleene Sat 02-Jul-16 17:40:42

DS absolutely loves Timmy Failure books. He says it is basically Sherlock Holmes for kids. Except Watson is a polar bear. wink

insan1tyscartching Sat 02-Jul-16 17:51:38

Dd read these she enjoyed them, easy to read and a good plot with likeable characters so a winner really.

SaturdaySurprise Mon 04-Jul-16 19:39:45

My 11 year loves it. Very funny and I love Timmy's cluelessness and his relationship with Carina Carina.

The big question is.. I think Total the polar bear is an imaginary friend: my son thinks he's real.

dinkystinky Thu 07-Jul-16 15:12:22

My 10 year old DS1 loves Timmy Failure - he really identifies with Timmy and the other characters who are well written and tears through the books.

1969angep Fri 22-Jul-16 17:58:13

We've read the first book of the series (Mistakes Were Made) so far and really enjoyed it. Timmy is so self absorbed he seems incapable of ever solving a crime (until school work was described as a mystery to solve and his grades improve massively). Lucas loved the idea of a Polar Bear sidekick and really enjoyed all the illustrations that were liberally peppered throughout. The supporting characters are all equally fun (love the wonky eyed Molly!) and we can't wait to read the remaining 3 books ❤️

JoolsFH Sat 23-Jul-16 12:23:46

I thought these books would be great for my Tom Gates/Diary of a Wimpy Kid nearly 9 year old DD but my 6 year old DS grabbed the first one "Mistakes Were Made" and got stuck in straight away. It's the first type of chapter book like this he has read and he LOVES it. He has to ask about some of the bigger words that DD would know but it's great for his vocabulary. It has completely changed the type of book he now wants to read. It's remarkable. It'll take him a while to finish but my DD is waiting in the wings when she has finished the huge fourth Harry Potter to take over. ❤️

Balletgirlmum Sun 24-Jul-16 10:01:30

My 12 year old loves Timmy Failure. He just bought the new book last week but this is what he wrote about We Meet Again

‘Timmy Failure’ is a book about a young child who owns a “world famous” detective agency. He is trying his best to survive school while creating the best every detective agency ever.

This is a funny book that many people will read and laugh at as they watch Timmy struggle in school, get angry at his pet polar bear and try to avoid flying cannonballs which are actually balls used in sports.

Altogether this is an amazing book that everyone from a young age or old will enjoy.

nerysw Mon 25-Jul-16 20:14:26

I've got my set - blimey, they look great!

Sparklyglitter Wed 27-Jul-16 08:19:31

My son aged 11 has just started reading book one (Mistakes were made).
He's loving it, says they are very funny and he loves the illustrations! It's so nice to see children enjoying books rather than wanting to be on the computer the whole time! Well done for writing books that engage! grin)

KirstyDoodlex Wed 27-Jul-16 10:02:09

Gave these books to my little sister and she is absolutely loving them so far.

SerenityYou Wed 27-Jul-16 11:05:50

We really like the looks of theses books. The covers are really bright and illustrations are great. My 11 year old son has just started reading the first one. But h his quite a slow reader, so he properly wont finish the first one for a while yet

mum2eci Wed 27-Jul-16 11:58:00

I entered to win a copy of these for my 9 year old daughter and was lucky enough to win. These are being stashed away as an extra Christmas pressie 😉 She loves Tom Gates books and Diary of a Wimpy Kid so think these will be a huge hit too!

CopperPan Wed 27-Jul-16 11:59:55

These books were a big hit with DS3. Timmy himself is a wonderful character. He is pompous, stupid and incredibly delusional, but innocent and adorable in his own little way. I love the illustrations and the thought that has gone into these books.

hanliying Wed 27-Jul-16 20:22:47

My son absolutely loves the book. He finishes the first one in about 2 days. It is a great, fun and easy to read book.

NicHay Thu 28-Jul-16 11:48:16

My 9 year old has been enjoying the books. She said the first one is very funny and she liked the illustrations.

Niceteeth Thu 28-Jul-16 12:49:51

My 7 year old son says " it's a very good book and I recommend it. I like that it's always very funny!"

iwantavuvezela Thu 28-Jul-16 14:03:44

My daughter (9) had read two of these, she loves the illustrations and finds them funny. She would definitely recommend them to others.

MummyBtothree Thu 28-Jul-16 18:49:22

My middle Son absolutely loves Timmy Failure. He loves the illustrations and finds the books really funny which is a winner with me as it gets him reading.

RueDeWakening Thu 28-Jul-16 18:51:40

My 9 year old DD found these books recently - I think they came up in a thread on MN!

She loves them, she says "he always makes himself sound an even greater a detective than he really is but he only solves about 2 cases that sound like they're made up to get his attention. It's really funny."

She's just discovered there's a 4th book through this thread, so I guess we'll be off to the library or bookshop in the morning grin

VanessaBet Thu 28-Jul-16 18:53:53

DS2 (age 8) says that he was 'laughing his head off' within the first paragraph when DS1 (age 11) introduced him to the first book. He zoomed through the next one in the Waterstones cafe (sorry Stephan Pastis), but he does say he'd like to buy any others now.

DS1 says 'they're simple but really funny'. Both boys really like Total as a sidekick.

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 28-Jul-16 23:07:29

DD said these are very funny. She loved Tom Gates but never really got into the Wimpy Kid books. She'd quite like a Polar Bear sidekick too.

asuwere Fri 29-Jul-16 08:41:19

DS1 (10) has just read one of the Timmy Failure books after loving the Wimpy Kid series. He seems to like Timmy as much and is looking to read more. Its really hard to get him to read so I'm glad he likes them, he says its really funny and easy to read.

angep1969 Sat 06-Aug-16 20:43:17

We've just finished reading the second book of the series - Now Look What You've Done. Just as enjoyable as the first we now have the addition of Timmy's equally eccentric Great Aunt to the list of fab characters. Timmy is just as inept as ever - the Greatest Detective refuses to see the real facts of any case but loves using ace words like jejeune, mendacious and shenanigans. The illustrations are such fun and there is enough in these stories to please adults as well as kids. Love them and are moving straight onto book 3 with great pleasure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now